• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Texas Reaches Out To Ian Desmond

nando714

A good chunk of Desmond's value is as a SS or at least a non 1b infielder.  

He's probably not as bad as he was in the first half of last year but he's not deserving of the 100mil he turned down and that value comes down if he's moved to a corner OF.  

So paying something like 4/60 for him to play LF isn't really a the great deal you'd be getting if he were to play SS, 2b or 3b.  

Frankly, if you can get him on a 3yr deal for about 40-50mil, then it's worth the pick because he instantly becomes a tradeable asset at that price.  If after the first year you want to trade him, he's only got 2/30 left and you can easily get a player or two that would be worth that pick.  

He does have some bust potential, but at that price you could be getting a .750 ops middle infielder 

A good chunk of Desmond's value is as a SS or at least a non 1b infielder.  

He's probably not as bad as he was in the first half of last year but he's not deserving of the 100mil he turned down and that value comes down if he's moved to a corner OF.  

So paying something like 4/60 for him to play LF isn't really a the great deal you'd be getting if he were to play SS, 2b or 3b.  

Frankly, if you can get him on a 3yr deal for about 40-50mil, then it's worth the pick because he instantly becomes a tradeable asset at that price.  If after the first year you want to trade him, he's only got 2/30 left and you can easily get a player or two that would be worth that pick.  

He does have some bust potential, but at that price you could be getting a .750 ops middle infielder 

I'd love to see him at 2B I think he'd do well there. Alternatively we could have the Orioles sign him and do a sign and trade to us for a starter.

I'd love to see him at 2B I think he'd do well there. Alternatively we could have the Orioles sign him and do a sign and trade to us for a starter.

I've been a proponent of the sign and trade idea because it appears to be technically legal under the Basic Agreement. As long as the player consents in writing to any trade prior to June 16 it meets the Basic Agreement. However, I keep seeing reports that the league office considers the move to be an attempt to circumvent the Qualifying Offer system and they will reject a sign and trade.

They have a one year deal in place pending a physical.

And if they suck and he's doing Ok this year they can trade him at the deadline. Why waste the pick though on a potential rental?

Check that - Rangers already have picks 29 and 30, so losing 19 doesn't hurt

Edited by nando714

Well Eric that team was pretty close last year and played really well the second half. So if any team is going to go get a guy it should be them. I wouldn't have minded Desmond at that cost, but I would want him at 2nd base.

You still didn't answer the farm system question.

Well you weren't asking me. I'm not one of the guys on here that get a stiffy when I talk about other teams farm systems. But if I were to answer the thought process I would answer it like Sosh, where it's easier to trust a guy who's done it at the major league level especially when your team was pretty damn good last year.