• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs: Ownership rating. Do Angel fans love Arte?!

NrM

40 HR's 95 RBI's

I think you're being a little over critical ... ? I was never a fan of the contract but he is still a very important piece of the team.

This

He was never going to live up to the deal, noone could, but to somehow suggest he isnt a key piece still is a little much imo.

He is a key, but also one being paid $24 million AAV to put up a sub .800 OPS for 3 straight seasons.   

True, but if we didnt have him would we be getting that from whoever his replacement would have been?  Trumbo, Cron?  Neither of them has put up 800 OPS last year either.  Granted they didnt get paid as much but they also didnt hit as many HR combined.  

I realize its a matter of cost, i get that, but would we have been a better team without him over those 3 years?

Look im not saying its worth it... and we probably wouldnt have been much worse had we never signed him and kept Trumbo... but its moot

He's not a key piece and wouldn't be difficult to replace.

He had a 2 WAR last year which ranked him 16nth out of 20 qualified 1st basemen.

He had a .2 WAR in the second half...

Couldn't even manage 100 RBIs with Mike Trout hitting in front of him.

That qualifies as a key piece? Give me a ****ing break.

Edited by Poozy

He's not a key piece and wouldn't be difficult to replace.

He had a 2 WAR last year which ranked him 16nth out of 20 qualified 1st basemen.

He had a .2 WAR in the second half...

Couldn't even manage 100 RBIs with Mike Trout hitting in front of him.

That qualifies as a key piece? Give me a ****ing break.

He is absolutely a key piece to this line up. I use br as my WAR go to website and on there he was a 3.0 WAR. Now I am assuming that because he is a 3.0 that would mean all the other 1st baseman are also higher. That being said he being a key piece may be more of an indictment of the state of the organization. He wasn't great, but don't kid yourself he was our second best hitter last year, maybe the third best.

He was pretty much Mark Trumbo last season. Hr's(lot of solo shots), low BA and very poor OBP%. Not a terrible player, but still hard to accept considering how much they're paying him. Only going to get worse as he continues to age and the only thing to look forward to in the Pujols era is the hope that he retires before his contract is up

He was pretty much Mark Trumbo last season. Hr's(lot of solo shots), low BA and very poor OBP%. Not a terrible player, but still hard to accept considering how much they're paying him. Only going to get worse as he continues to age and the only thing to look forward to in the Pujols era is the hope that he retires before his contract is up

Yep. Pretty spot on. 

2012-2013 Trumbo is the exact kind of player we got out of Pujols last year.

Low OBP, incredibly streaky, disappearing when you need him the most, poor 2nd half performance... 

A 25 million dollar version of Mark Trumbo is who we ****ing have now..... and you guys want to call that a key piece? lol

Edited by Poozy

Well, when you look at the rest of this offense, he is a key piece. That's more of an indictment on this offense though

By that logic, Giavottella is also a key piece...

Every starter can be considered a key piece.

That's all Pujols is..He's no more valuable than Giavottella and Escobar.

Edited by Poozy

A key piece is someone like Richards, Calhoun and Trout..

Not some easily replaceable player.

Which is why I said an indictment of the team. This team can't find a ****ing left fielder, how the hell will they find a first baseman? Edited by Stradling

Which is why I said an indictment of the team. This team can't find a ****ing left fielder, how the hell with they find a first baseman?

Right. We're a shitty team right now, but that doesn't, in any way, make Pujols more valuable.

Edited by Poozy

Right. We're a shitty team right now, but that doesn't, in any way, make Pujols more valuable.

Ok pretend we have someone on the team that should start ahead of him. He was shitty most of the year and hit 40 home runs. I truly hope he starts to use the whole field again.

Ok pretend we have someone on the team that should start ahead of him. He was shitty most of the year and hit 40 home runs. I truly hope he starts to use the whole field again.

And how much longer do you think Pujols will continue to give the angels positive production?

He looked completely lost in the 2nd half last year. It's very likely Pujols could be finished.

we could see the 2011 version of Vernon Wells.

Vernon Wells in 2011

.218/.248/.412 .660 OPS 25 HR

Pujols in 2nd of last year

.231/.288/.419 .707  OPS 14 HR

I'm sure we'll see people defending him because he'll still hit HRs.

Edited by Poozy