• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels-Kendrick

Second Base

Ok so I'm going to be filleted for this, but a friend with one of Kendrick's agents says he and the Angels are talking again. They spoke before when Kendrick was floating a 4 year deal. Kendrick had the chance to sign already this winter, but he's been pretty adamant about staying in California. He doesn't want to move his family and is hoping to remain close to home. They've been in contact with San Diego, Angels, Dodgers and D-Backs. The Padres remain lukewarm, the D-Backs were looking for a major discount because of the draft pick, the Dodgers never showed any interest in bringing him back.

I'm not sure entirely how I feel about it. Surrendering a first round pick for a short contract might not make the most sense. If it were a second round pick, perhaps.

A first round pick for him is certainly prohibitive.  He's the guy you bring in if you are planning on going over the CBT or you already have and it costs you 2nd rounder because you've already given up your first.  So the amount of money he'd cost is almost irrelevant (in theory).  Howie does see to miss playing for the halos and I do think he'd have a really good chance at bouncing back if he were to return to the team.  

Makes me wonder if the real reason he didn't accept the qualifier is that he hated playing for the Dodgers and thought the halos would be in the market to bring him back.  I would hate to see him sit out half a season.  

From a 'f it, might as well' standpoint, he'd be great to have in the 6 spot behind our new 100mil LFer and Calhoun and in front of Cron, Perez and Simmons.  

I think I might just prefer bringing Freese back and moving Escobar to 2B.  They are the same age, same OPS, Freese wouldn't cost a pick.

^^^This^^^....Or, since we've been in "waiting" mode for awhile anyway, I would have preferred to wait out Freese and then sign both Howie and Freese....would rather have Freese than Escobar....

As much as I think Howie would help extend our line up, I just don't want to give up the pick for a 33 year old. If we sign Cespedes I would rather sign Freese and move Escobar. Plus with Freese you extend the line up, and can probably get him on a one year deal. Now if Howie goes unsigned then absolutely get him if it doesn't cost a pick.

Only a 2nd round draft pick if we sign Upton. If we sign Cespedes, I don't see any value in bringing back Kendrick or Freese for a 1st rounder either.

For a franchise that is in need of a useable minor league in the foreseeable future saying something like, just a second round pick, after you've flushed your first rounder, is counter to moving the team forward.

The team needs to think long term in addition to the present. They need to be getting younger. Kendrick and freeze would not be wise decisions long term age wise and $ wise.

they likely wouldn't be long term deals.  In fact, I bet Freese could be had on a 1yr deal.  Kendrick on a 2-3yr deal.  The risk with Howie is the loss of a pick and the fact that he's coming off a subpar year defensively.  If he's losing his ability to play 2b, then you have a problem.  

either isn't likely a difference maker.  Freese most certainly not.  Kendrick could be but more than likely he'd end up being a mild to solid upgrade.