• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Greinke

jecho_21

Have you been watching Cueto since he came to the AL?

Yep, all two months of it. Imo, he'd be the best SP signing we could hope for. Price will be too much for the Angels to land. And the same goes for Zimmerman, to much time and or money to land. Cueto is our best option for an elite SP. Edited by Jim

Before every game, Los Angeles Dodgers bench coach Tim Wallach goes through the opposing team’s lineup and decides how best to position his infielders. It is a standard tactical task assigned to a coach on every team: Look at where each hitter tends to hit the ball and tell fielders where they should stand.

But the routine changes when Zack Greinke pitches. Before a single instruction is conveyed to the Dodgers infield, Greinke meets with Wallach himself. He arrives having already studied charts illustrating the paths of each hitter’s batted balls. Then, after considering how his pitcreinke might be the perfect pitcher for baseball’s era of big data. There are other pitchers who study hitters as extensively, combing through statistics and video clips for revelations of their vulnerabilities. But few of them can match that understanding with the precision Greinke uses to turn game theory into results.

For Greinke, whose 1.66 earned-run average this season was the lowest by a pitcher since 1995, infield positioning is essential to his job. It is part of the riddle he tries to solve for every hitter: Which combination of pitch type, location and defensive alignment will result in the highest probability of an out?hing plan against each hitter might affect their tendencies, he essentially decides where his teammates will stand himself.

He may know that he’s going to make a pitch to a certain area, and he may want to move the shortstop somewhere, or move the third baseman in and back,” Wallach said. “He’s involved in the whole part of it when he’s pitching.”

Wall Street Journal

Not one fastball that Price pitched in his last start led to a swing and a miss by the Rangers hitters.

DO NOT BUY

agree.  he's the guy that scares me the most relative to the amount of money he's gonna get.  He's logged a ton of innings.  He's had a couple of really good seasons, but otherwise he's been good yet unspectacular.  

Frankly, all of the upper tier SP's scare the crap out of me.  Price for the reasons above.  Cueto because he's been pretty pedestrian in the AL.  Zimm because he's had TJ and has never pitched in the AL.  Greinke is 32 but probably has the best chance to not have age affect him as much.  Nonetheless, he's 32 and is gonna go to the highest bidder.  Likely the dodgers.  

agree.  he's the guy that scares me the most relative to the amount of money he's gonna get.  He's logged a ton of innings.  He's had a couple of really good seasons, but otherwise he's been good yet unspectacular.  

Frankly, all of the upper tier SP's scare the crap out of me.  Price for the reasons above.  Cueto because he's been pretty pedestrian in the AL.  Zimm because he's had TJ and has never pitched in the AL.  Greinke is 32 but probably has the best chance to not have age affect him as much.  Nonetheless, he's 32 and is gonna go to the highest bidder.  Likely the dodgers.  

Unfortunately I agree.  But the upper tier SP's are safe bets compared to the upper tier SP's the Angels currently have.  Plausible scenarios next season.  Weavers fastball is in the 70 mph range.  CJ's surgery wasn't successful.  Heaney does a Shoemaker.  Skaggs doesn't come back to form.  And IMO, none of our current starters are #1 type starters next season.  

Agree 100% with this.  Grienke scares me because outside of one year he has never been anything more than a solid pitcher in the AL. After the past 3 years with this last ridiculous season to top it off he is going to get an insane contract and I really don't think his value will come remotely close to the money if he goes to the AL.  I just feel like these big contracts rarely work out with pitchers.  They rarely work out in general, but even less so with pitchers.  They work out more often when the team they are already on gives them the contract. I just can't get behind the idea of spending 200+ million on a pitcher not named Kershaw. Unfortunately, that is what these guys are going to get.

I mostly agree to stay away from the top tier pitchers this year. Although, I would still make a run at Cueto. Nothing says Arte has to sell the farm to get him, but I would make a legit run at him. Calling him pedestrian in the AL after two months of play is a bit short sighted. Cueto and another solid # 3 type SP will do us good. And like someone else here has said, it will give us the opportunity to move some of our other talent for offensive help.