• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Central A/C units

Our AC died this summer. The AC guy we have been working with for a couple of years did a fine job keeping it alive, but it's done.

Sadly, it's a 20 year old unit and runs on R-22 Coolent, which I guess isn't used anymore.

A new AC that runs on whatever coolent is being used now would also require a new furnace or we could try to find an old style AC and hope our furnace doesn't go out.

My parents were faced with that exact dilemma last year.  They only had to replace the furnace coil to get new A/C. 

Our AC died this summer. The AC guy we have been working with for a couple of years did a fine job keeping it alive, but it's done.

Sadly, it's a 20 year old unit and runs on R-22 Coolent, which I guess isn't used anymore.

A new AC that runs on whatever coolent is being used now would also require a new furnace or we could try to find an old style AC and hope our furnace doesn't go out.

According to the Maytag tech, the main issue with the AC is that the old refrigerant circulated at about 300 PSI. The new refrigerant circulates at about 600 PSI. This is why they can't just flush out your old coil with an air compressor and reuse it. Your current coil was not designed to stand up to that level of pressure.

Your furnace shouldn't be affected. We were given the option of keeping our old heating unit, but we decided to replace everything at the same time since the heating unit was about 18 years old. We were already spending about $6K, and it was about another $1,500 to replace the old heating unit and the blower motor.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Believe it or not, I work with a company that does several outdoor home improvement projects including HVAC, and while they initial price tag is not cheap by any means, they are permanent solutions that will rid of any future HVAC headaches. Warranty on parts and labor for 15 years on the A/C unit, 30 years on the furnace. Typically they replace both the furnace and the A/C units to satisfy the warranties, as both are meant to work together.

We use American Standard units, which have several technological advantages including saving on energy bills. Duct replacement can also do wonders for improving the efficiency of central air throughout the home (any system over 15 years old most likely leaks). Some of you looking to get a complete overhaul should look into companies which honor the HERO program, it's financing which allows you to not only wait to make a payment until Nov 2016, but allows you to get deduct the costs on your taxes. It's not a line of credit like opening a credit card, it's an addition to mortgage payments. Furthermore, if you decide to move out of the house, the warranty and payments transfer to the new home owner.

The value it adds to the home (we figure about a 90% Return on Investment), the savings you get on energy efficiency (especially if you're paying over $200 a month), and the amount of tax refunds which will increase significantly, over the course of 15 years many people who invest in a complete overhaul end up actually coming out ahead monetarily.

Considering the cost of utility bills are expected to increase, the cost of doing business continues to increase, and the cost of product that continues to increase, many times it's better to just nip it in the bud now, than continue to do repairs year after year and put it off.

Any questions or if some of you would like to know more, you can message me and I can let you know the company I work for, and see about getting you an estimate if you are seriously considering getting something like this done.