• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nate Smith Keeps Rolling - Prospect Hotlist ( July 27 - August 3rd, 2015 )

photo Nate Smith_zpsjiceg2xi.jpg

By Adrian Noche, AngelsWin.com Minor League Reporter - 

1.) Nate Smith, Starting Pitcher, Arkansas Travelers
Last two starts: 1-0  13.0 IP  3.00 ERA  9 H  3 BB  16 SO  0.92 WHIP
Overall: 8-4  101.2 IP  2.48 ERA  82 H  28 BB  81 SO  1.08 WHIP  .216 BAA

Nate Smith carried his brilliance over from the Pan-Am games right back to the Arkansas Travelers. Smith earned two wins during his time pitching representing Team USA. Smith was victorious over Cuba, allowing just one hit in six innings pitched with 2 runs allowed and 6 strikeouts. He was also victorious over Canada, allowing just 1 run in 5.2 innings pitched with 10 strikeouts (U.S. Pan-Am record). In two starts back with Arkansas, Smith has only allowed a single earned run in 13.0 innings pitched with 9 hits and 3 walks allowed with 10 strikeouts. Smith’s season ERA is down to 2.48 with a WHIP of 1.08.

2.) Kaleb Cowart, Third Baseman, Salt Lake Bees
Past 10 games: .368 AVG  14 H  5 Doubles  0 Triple  0 HR  1 SB
Overall: .288/.367.447

It’s 49 games since Cowart’s promotion to Triple-A and he has refused to cool off. Cowart is batting .368 in his past 10 games with 5 doubles. Kaleb Cowart’s slash line at Salt Lake now stands at .345/.417/.524 and his season line is up to .288/.367.447. 

3.) David Fletcher, Shortstop, Burlington Bees
Past 10 games: .364 AVG  16 H  2 Doubles  2 Triples  0 HR  3 SB
Overall: .337/.395/.457

After a strong start in Orem, David Fletcher was promoted to Low-A Burlington Bees on July 28th. The 6th round draft pick of the 2015 draft was batting .336 with 12 doubles, 3 triples and a 14:8 BB:SO ratio in Orem before his promotion. Now, Fletcher is 9-for-26 (.346) with1 double, 1 triple and 3 walks to 2 strikeouts in 6 games with the Burlington Bees.

Minor League Affiliate Report

Triple-A Salt-Lake Bees

The Bees went 3-5 since last week and have an overall record of 44-66 (16.5 GB). Nick Tropeano was solid in his return to the Bees on the 29th, allowing just 3 earned runs in 6.0 innings pitched. Jett Bandy’s bat is starting to heat up again, with a .417 batting average in his last 10 games with 1 double and 1 home run. Kyle Kubitza hit his 6th home run of the season on Sunday.

Double-A Arkansas Travelers

The Travelers are 6-2 since last week and currently sit in first place with a second-half record of 22-16. Sean Newcomb made his Double-A debut on Sunday, striking out 5 in 5.0 innings with 2 earned runs allowed and 5 walks. Chris Ellis pitched 6.2 innings of shutout baseball on the 30th, allowing 3 hits, walks and striking out 2. Chad Hinshaw is batting .293 in his past 10 games with 3 doubles.

High-A Inland Empire 66ers

The 66ers are 17-18 (2.5 GB) in the second half of the season after going 5-3 since last week. Andrew Daniel is batting .400 with 5 doubles in his lat 10 games. Daniel has a slash line of .317/.371/.500 in 31 games with the 66ers. Roberto Baldoquin was placed on the 7-day DL on the 28th.

Low-A Burlington Bees

The Bees are 2-4 since last week and have a second-half record of 14-23 (14.0 GB). After hitting a rough patch of outings, Jake Jewell has lowered his ERA to 4.21 with just 3 earned runs allowed in his last 15.0 innings. Keynan Middleton allowed just 1 earned run in 6.0 innings pitched with 3 hits, 1 walks and 4 strikeouts on the 29th.Relief pitcher, Jacob Kopra, has yet to allow an earned run in 16.2 innings pitched for Burlington this season. Second baseman, Tim Arakawa is batting .341with 2 home runs  in his last 10 games.

Class-A Short Season Orem Owlz

The Owlz went 5-2 since last week and sit in second place of their division with a second half record of 4-2. Jaime Barria, 19 years old, made his Owlz debut on Saturday, allowing 1 earned run in 5.0 innings pitched (7 H  1 BB  4 SO). Jared Foster hit for the cycle on Saturday, going for 4-for-5 and is batting .333 in his last 10 games. Third baseman, Kenny Towns had a 5-hit game with 2 doubles, 4 RBIs and a stolen base on Friday. Michael Pierson continued to hit the ball extremely well, with an average of .419 and 4 stolen bases in his last 10 games (.395 on the season). Alex Abbott hit his 4th home run of the season on Sunday and has an OPS of .939 with the Owlz this season. 

AZL Angels

The AZL Angels are 0-5 since last week and are 0-6 to start the second half of their season. 11th round draft pick, Jimmy Barnes, hit his first home run of the season on Tuesday. 
d69dEsYmJjU

View the full article

I'm not that crazy about Upton or Cespedes, Chuck, both of whom are overrated, imo, especially Upton. I'd rather see them go after Jason Heyward, who has the benefit of being quite a bit younger, is a great defensive player, and I think still has a chance at an offensive breakthrough. They'd have to move Calhoun over to LF, but I love an OF of Calhoun-Trout-Heyward.

I'm not that crazy about Upton or Cespedes, Chuck, both of whom are overrated, imo, especially Upton. I'd rather see them go after Jason Heyward, who has the benefit of being quite a bit younger, is a great defensive player, and I think still has a chance at an offensive breakthrough. They'd have to move Calhoun over to LF, but I love an OF of Calhoun-Trout-Heyward.

There is only two years difference between Upton and Heyward.  Upton has an OPS + of 120 and Heyward has an OPS + of 114.  Upton has more power than Heyward.  I watched Upton for a few years in Arizona....he can be lax, but I would take him in LF. 

There is only two years difference between Upton and Heyward.  Upton has an OPS + of 120 and Heyward has an OPS + of 114.  Upton has more power than Heyward.  I watched Upton for a few years in Arizona....he can be lax, but I would take him in LF. 

Dude, it's the original CRAIG! 

How have you been my friend? Been a long time.

I wouldn't mind getting Heyward, he is very good defensively and isn't bad offensively either. He is also left handed and uses the whole field. I have this feeling, especially with the injury concerns with Holiday, that the Cards will resign Heyward. And yes, bring back Howie.

Im with you that id love heywards glove here AJ, but i dont feel like hes going to figure it out with the bat. He is still young, could finally realize his potential, but this team needs a bat more than a 100 million dollar gamble on whether peter bourjos can learn to hit so to speak.

I agree cespedes is overrated, ypton to (to a lesser point), but while not the answer, theyd at least help the offense problems

they are going to have holes at 3b, LF, DH, 2b and C to  potentially fill this off season.  

Gerarodo Parra is a FA and won't have a comp pick now that he's been traded.  He's my first choice.  Heyward and Upton are going to get crazy money.  Cespedes will also get a big deal.  We are talking about seven figure for any one of them.  This off season is going to be very interesting.  

Parra wouldnt be a bad choice. But if we went that route wed still need a power bat. IMO, we just dont have the running game / manufacture in place. Not saying wither is better than the other. But id hope we get creative and trade for a DH.

Alberts still fine at 1B..its his bat thats the problem. Cespedes isnt the answer, but id be happy to get him.

But the slunp has shown that trouts human, and you cant just assume hes going to save you every day. He needs aomeone else doing the slugging, IMO, so he can go back to focusing on driving rhe orher team crazy with 3 for 4 nights instead of always having to try and tie it up with one swing.

Maybe the price for bruce comes down?