• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward

I think you're right, Ward was about as safe of a pick as there comes.  Worst case scenario, he's a plus defensive catcher that profiles as a backup in the majors.  Basically, a better version of Jeff Mathis.  Best case scenario, he basically turns into Buster Posey or Joe Mauer, a good defensive catcher with power and patience.  Most likely scenario, he's a good defensive catcher and does just enough right in the batters box to be a platoon player at catcher. 

Personally, I think Ward profiles a lot like Jett Bandy.  

It would be hard for me to believe that there wouldn't be more upside with someone that the halos took in the first round after scouting like crazy, but that was a consensus pick for the first two rounds.  

To me, his floor is that of a platoon catcher whereas I think that's Bandy's possible not probable.  

It would be hard for me to believe that there wouldn't be more upside with someone that the halos took in the first round after scouting like crazy, but that was a consensus pick for the first two rounds.  

To me, his floor is that of a platoon catcher whereas I think that's Bandy's possible not probable.  

Bandy's a super-athletic catcher, slightly better defensively than Carlos Perez, who is already a very solid MLB defender.  He has good pop for a catcher, and does just enough in terms of batting average and OBP to be that platoon catcher the Angels like to use.  

Ward from the sound of it is even better than Bandy, who is already good and has similar offensive skill sets with probably a bit better power/BA/OBP.  

Basically, the way I'm viewing Ward is that he's a better but similar version of Jett Bandy.  Ward will catch 120 games a year for the Angels, run into a pitch here and there but mostly be known for completely shutting down the opposition's run game.  That carries a ton of value. 

since going 0 for his first 8, he's 14/23 with 7 walks and no strikeouts.  

I don't like to get too excited about college picks until they reach AA, but it's clear this guy has a pretty good idea on how to take an at bat.  

I really hope they move him up to the Midwest League at some point this year.   Im guessing he's taking advantage of less experienced competition, but at the same time it IS nice to see him have a clue.

We knew Bandy right from the get-go. He drew comparisons to Jeff Mathis in his athleticism and defense, and he's been all that and more. He's an elite defensive catcher. Anything you get in the batters box is just icing. He just so happens to have decent raw power and plate discipline. They haven't come out in AAA but they're there.

Ward, conflicting reports. Yeah, everyone universally agrees that like Bandy, he's going to be (I think he already is) an elite defender. But there's general disagreement on the bat. Some say there's power and discipline, others call into question both.

Ward looks amazing in the Pioneer League right now. He SHOULD look amazing in that environment though. The true test will come once he reaches AA, just as it is with almost all collegiate hitters. That level separates the prospects from pretenders.

I'm optimistic about Ward. Just from what ice seen and read, he looks like he can become an everyday catcher. I Wong say he's a future superstar because that isn't fair to him. But drawing comparisons to Bandy and Iannetta are reasonable. I think he'll be a better offensive version of Bandy and a better defensive version of Iannetta.

3-4 tonight with a hr.  dude needs to be challenged. 

Agree entirely.  I feel like the organization as a whole is far too conservative when it comes to challenging prospects.  There are exceptions, like with Trout and Calhoun, but for the most part, the Angels play it very slowly compared to others, like the Rangers, Astros, Cards, Cubs....  That got a little better under Servais, but they still simply aren't aggressive at all. 

Guys like Ward, should be in A/A+ Ball to finish this season and in AA next year, that's it.  Starting early round collegiate players in Rookie Ball then moving them to A Ball the next year is foolish. 

Agree entirely.  I feel like the organization as a whole is far too conservative when it comes to challenging prospects.  There are exceptions, like with Trout and Calhoun, but for the most part, the Angels play it very slowly compared to others, like the Rangers, Astros, Cards, Cubs....  That got a little better under Servais, but they still simply aren't aggressive at all. 

Guys like Ward, should be in A/A+ Ball to finish this season and in AA next year, that's it.  Starting early round collegiate players in Rookie Ball then moving them to A Ball the next year is foolish. 

More Scioscia goodness, trying to be anal retentive with all of his catchers?

• 3 weeks later...

.368 /.506/.500, 2 HR, 20 BB, 7 K, 3 SB, 29% CS

I had just seen the Orem Owlz tweeting out about a defensive play he made and I thought let me check his stats! When I saw that walk strike ratio I said let me go post this to the Ward thread! Then I realized I was just too slow! :P

MLB mid-season Top 30 Rankings out today. Ward is at #8

http://m.mlb.com/pro...s/2015?list=ana

I find it pretty difficult to justify ranking Alcantara and Gatto over him.  Even Nate Smith might be a bit of a reach.  Yeah, most think he profiles to be a good backup, but the Angels certainly feel like they know or are seeing something others aren't.  Their track record for this sort of thing under Ric Wilson is pretty good too.

I'm not on the bandwagon yet, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he ended up being a very good starting catcher someday.