• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fangraphs: Why wasn't Kole Calhoun a prospect

eaterfan

Age is a big reason.  I think people are too focused on age when it comes to prospects (same goes for size).  Especially early on... you don't see many college seniors topping prospect lists. Understandable to an extent, but it goes a bit far.

To be fair, he wasn't drafted out of high school and he hit one home run in his freshman year in JC, but he was a great player on a great college team, then produced at every level. 

Once a player like Calhoun produces like he did in AA, age is irrelevant.  I don't know why so many people are surprised he's a good major leaguer.  Maybe those that saw him in high school or in junior college... I'm guessing those people are hard to find, though.

Edited by ScottT

I don't know how many college players drafted after the 3rd round have ended up on top 100 lists.  

the progression is too quick.  they get drafted and perform well in A/A+ yet they are still considered a little old for their level.  

they then move to AA/AAA and are soon in the majors if they are legit missing their window to be considered a prospect by the pundits.  

mid to late round college bats are high floor low ceiling and will never be recognized.  

My opinion:  Because the Angels haven't a lot of 1st round picks, the guys who do the prospect lists tend to shy away from rating any of the Angels' prospects high, because they don't come from the 1st round.  They are lazy in their research.  No way the Halos' farm system is 28th-30th.  Not with Shoebacca, Richards, Calhoun, and all the other prospects JeDi was able to deal to get the team he now has.

Edited by maximus p

If you want to make a reasonable comparison to a former Angels prospect... go with George Arias. There are a few similarities... both were great in the PAC 10 after going to junior college... got drafted in a similar round... hit consistently in the minors...  both "undersized".   Arias was drafted after his junior year.  

Arias wasn't highly ranked on prospect lists, either, only showing up 5th on Baseball America's 1996 list.... after a good year in AA.  

He ended up hitting 169 home runs in Japan and 42 more in Mexico. 

The same reason Donavan Tate was taken third in 2009 draft and Mike Trout was taken 25th. 

Scouts aren't always correct because makeup/desire/work ethic isn't a quantifiable stat. 

TV/magazine sports analysts are lip flappers who typicallly don't know squat.

The Oakland A's recently stated that they don't pay a bit of attention to any of the minor league team or player rankings.

Age is a big reason. I think people are too focused on age when it comes to prospects (same goes for size). Especially early on... you don't see many college seniors topping prospect lists. Understandable to an extent, but it goes a bit far.

To be fair, he wasn't drafted out of high school and he hit one home run in his freshman year in JC, but he was a great player on a great college team, then produced at every level.

Once a player like Calhoun produces like he did in AA, age is irrelevant. I don't know why so many people are surprised he's a good major leaguer. Maybe those that saw him in high school or in junior college... I'm guessing those people are hard to find, though.

Saw him in high school and followed him in college.

I Remember seeing the guy throw a no hitter reaching low 90's (he pitched too) and hitting 2 homeruns in the same game, though at the time didnt think much about him becoming pro.

He was always solid with ASU too, if I remember correctly he tied the college world series RBI record his junior year. The skill has always been there and I always wondered why he got drafted so late. Maybe his size? He was pretty bulky early on at a low height.

Edit:

He wasn't too shabby in JC either, hit over .300 as a freshman and hit .413 with 18 homeruns as an All-American 1st team as a sophmore.

He always hit, so age is probably the reason he was doubted as a major leaguer. That still doesn't explain the fact why he was drafted so late to begin with, causing him to be older than the competition. My guess is his size as I mentioned. He was easily over 200 lbs and 5'8 / 5'9 during high school and college..

Edited by santini1