• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adam Dunn Retires

happybat4

He waited 14 years to make the playoffs, only to not get a single AB. I am surprised he retired. By no means is he a good player right now, but he is serviceable and only 38 home runs shy of 500.

I know the low batting and strike out jokes will be coming, but the dude had a good career. A .360+ OBP with over 460 home runs. A true 3 outcome player. I know he gets compared to Dave Kingman, but I think Dunnwas much better than Kingman because of his walks.

wouldnt have broken my heart to have him around next year... meh, good career, underrated guy

before i get jumped on that comment i didnt mean as a starter etc... just to be clear, would have been a nice bench bat and part time DH

Edited by floplag

His 462 HR tie him for 35th all-time with Jose Canseco.

Not a Hall of Famer, but worthy of the Hall of the Very Good.

Fun fact: Of all players with 400+ HR, Dunn has the second lowest career fWAR at 22.7, with Dave Kingman (442 HR) at 20.4, and Paul Konerko (439 HR) just ahead at 24.8.

Everyone ahead of Dunn on the all-time HR list has at least 42 fWAR - quite a jump. Serves him right for being a terrible defender and DH.

i wonder what Babe Ruth's fWAR would have been, lol 

you can bash a guy like Dunn statistically, its easy, but hitting 462 HR is no joke in any era.

You don't have to wonder: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1011327&position=OF

Mr Ruth has both the highest all-time fWAR, 168.4, and the highest single single fWAR, 15.0 (actually, he has the top five highest single seasons).

But I agree re: Dunn - which is why I said he belongs in the Hall of the Very Good (along with players like Abreu, Konerko, etc).

the wild card game is a playoff game.

the original phrasal verb "to play off" meant to "finish what you have started."  You can "play off" a glass of ale or "play off" a round of golf.

From that phrasal form, we eventually got the noun form "the playoffs" and the adjective form "the playoff game."

You don't have to wonder: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1011327&position=OF

Mr Ruth has both the highest all-time fWAR, 168.4, and the highest single single fWAR, 15.0 (actually, he has the top five highest single seasons).

But I agree re: Dunn - which is why I said he belongs in the Hall of the Very Good (along with players like Abreu, Konerko, etc).

yes, i know they had done that, i guess my point is that its kinda silly.. the man was in worse shape than i am... he was tailor made for the DH if he were playing today.  applying today's stats to another era fails to me.. makes no sense outside the spreadsheet.