• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Orem Owlz Roster - 2014

Interesting . . .

Almost all of this year's college draftees who have signed are on the roster.  And this is the first place I have seen that Ryan Seitz signed (I presume he will play 1st, not 2B)

And, no Hunter Green yet?

Both Green and Ricardo Sanchez are expected to be in the AZL this year.  Next year's up in the air.  If they progress far enough they'll head to Burlington, if not they'll spend an additional season in Rookie Ball.  It's helpful to keep in mind that Green is still 18 years old, the same age as many high school seniors drafted this year. Sanchez is still 16/17, the age of most high school sophomores or juniors, so time is definitely on their sides.

As for the Owlz roster, that OF has a TON of athleticism.  Quinten Davis, Nat Delgado and Miguel Hermosillo all bring power and speed to the game. 

I keep a close eye on them all, as prospects are largely my focus, but if I had to pick a few it'd be guys that I'm excited about but still want to know more about.  Nat Delgado, Miguel Hermosillo and Zac Houchins.  I actually hear he was pretty good and the whole twitter incident with the Nats gave him a bad rep, assuming it was an isolated incident.

Nice debut for Orem last night as they swept the KC Royals affiliate in a double-header.   Middleton was shaky but got the win, hopefully it was opening day jitters because he walked 5.   Johah Weseley got the save in the second game going two innings.  Because of the double-headers both games were 7 innings... I really hope that the Angels were going with a tandem starter, would hate to see them move JW to the pen so quickly.

I keep a close eye on them all, as prospects are largely my focus, but if I had to pick a few it'd be guys that I'm excited about but still want to know more about.  Nat Delgado, Miguel Hermosillo and Zac Houchins.  I actually hear he was pretty good and the whole twitter incident with the Nats gave him a bad rep, assuming it was an isolated incident.

Going to be fun to see if Delgado takes that next step this year -- Hermosillo is another guy that people should be watching as he was listed as one of the best all around athletes in the draft last year -- he did go yard FWIW as did Houchins.   Regarding that twitter incident -- I remember when that happened and I remember his Dad making it clear that he had at times told his son he needed to watch how he threw the slang around as he grew older and came to be in the spotlight.  Houchins grew up in the Carolinas and used the term Niggas a lot, which apparently is okay to do so long as you happen to be black but not so okay if you aren't.   I don't know that he has the prerequisite power you'd like to see at 3B but he's got the glove and an arm that can play at either SS or 3B and he's always been good at milking walks.   He's a guy I was excited to see them draft, and someone who I think fell in the draft in part because of that twitter incident.

Wouldn't surprise me if Houchins turned out to be one of the better value picks the Angels have made in recent years.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Does anyone have a report on how Bolaski profiles as a pitcher?  I never heard that he had a great arm when he was playing 3B, so it seems somewhat odd that he would be converted to pitcher unless is he using a knuckleball or something similar.

It seems to me that Green ought to be in Orem if healthy. I know he is young, but he isn't that young. Lots of 18 year olds play in Orem. If he can't compete there at 18, I can't imagine he is that great of a prospect.

lol, washed out the first year away from home. Come on Phil, these are not make or break years for any player, they are just figuring out how to use a washing machine without mom folding their underwear.

lol, washed out the first year away from home. Come on Phil, these are not make or break years for any player, they are just figuring out how to use a washing machine without mom folding their underwear.

Scouting reports say he folds his underwear as well as any pitcher in the Angels system.  

Nice debut for Orem last night as they swept the KC Royals affiliate in a double-header.   Middleton was shaky but got the win, hopefully it was opening day jitters because he walked 5.   Johah Weseley got the save in the second game going two innings.  Because of the double-headers both games were 7 innings... I really hope that the Angels were going with a tandem starter, would hate to see them move JW to the pen so quickly.

Ric Wilson indicated that Wesely's future is in the bullpen.  I'm a little disappointed that he isn't staying in the rotation, but he's still a great value pick for the Angels.  He wasn't sure if he was going to sign with the Angels because he was supposed to go a lot higher in the draft.  Other teams (specifically the Dodgers and Blue Jays) were scared away because he seemed pretty set on going to UCLA and they viewed him as a starter.  The Angels took a chance on him and he decided not to pass up his shot at the pros.  If he is indeed a bullpen arm, he can climb that minor league ladder very fast, in the manner that Nick Maronde did.  Except Wesely's fastball and breaking ball are better. 

As for Delgado, I have him ranked higher than every site out there, mostly because of what we saw at the end of last season.  His first couple of months he never walked, the Angels worked with him and he was very open to taking direction and quick to implement it into the game.  Lead the team in walks in the last month of the season.  Part of this was pitchers throwing around him, his bat is dangerous enough to warrant that.  But a lot of it was him being locked in, reading the ball longer and accurately deciding whether or not to swing.  If he adds patience to his profile, he'd be the top hitter in the system. 

Nice!  I'm paraphrasing but as I recall, Ric Wilson said he figures into the bullpen and pitches like his hair is on fire.  Max effort delivery, attacks hitters.  Personally, like with all youngsters, I'd very much prefer to see him in the rotation for as long as he can.