• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

pinch hitting Ibanez for Cron

Then I'm glad you'll never manage a team I follow.

What a coincidence, I'm also glad you'll never manage a team I follow.

Repeatedly putting your faith in terrible hitters(particularly at the expense of one of your best hitters) is pretty much the definition of insanity.

Edited by jshep

I think doc's post was on point.  Worse managed game ever is hilarious.  Almost all of his pen moves worked.  His decision to start Cowgill worked.  His decision to start Conger worked.

If you want a post or an argument actually taken seriously try to look objectively first.  I was screaming when he pitched hit for Cron with Ibanez, but I also realized he had made some other solid moves that game.

Scioscia has to manage for 162 games. No one wanted to see Ibanez up there. But, if they're intent on giving him a chance and the manager thinks a big hit in a big spot, the night after a 2-hit performance, might get him going and make the team better moving forward, it at least makes sense. 

This wasn't a do or die situation in a do or die game. 

I think doc's post was on point.  Worse managed game ever is hilarious.  Almost all of his pen moves worked.  His decision to start Cowgill worked.  His decision to start Conger worked.

If you want a post or an argument actually taken seriously try to look objectively first.  I was screaming when he pitched hit for Cron with Ibanez, but I also realized he had made some other solid moves that game.

There is a 65 page gameday thread. Find one post in there questioning starting Conger.

He is the better catcher and should be starting the majority of games. His pitch framing and solid backstopping kept us in a tight game all night.

There is a 65 page gameday thread. Find one post in there questioning starting Conger.

He is the better catcher and should be starting the majority of games. His pitch framing and solid backstopping kept us in a tight game all night.

I don't have to search anywhere.  In this very thread I see a post saying that this was the worse managed game the poster had ever seen. 

What a coincidence, I'm also glad you'll never manage a team I follow.

Repeatedly putting your faith in terrible hitters(particularly at the expense of one of your best hitters) is pretty much the definition of insanity.

If you honestly believe that the odds of Hamilton scoring Trout from first were greater than the odds of Freese scoring him from second then the teachers union really is evil.

If you honestly believe that the odds of Hamilton scoring Trout from first were greater than the odds of Freese scoring him from second then the teachers union really is evil.

I know, right?

How crazy that I would have that much more faith in the guy batting .390/.463/.610 than the one batting .218/.307/.282

Funny. People used to get angry on here when Calhoun would go 2-4 and be benched the next day while hitting slightly above .200. Ibanez goes 2-4 then gets asked to pinch hit (not start) late in a game in a favorable situation that he has proven in the past he can come through, but Sosh isn't supposed to give him that opportunity.

Ok.

Funny. People used to get angry on here when Calhoun would go 2-4 and be benched the next day while hitting slightly above .200. Ibanez goes 2-4 then gets asked to pinch hit (not start) late in a game in a favorable situation that he has proven in the past he can come through, but Sosh isn't supposed to give him that opportunity.

Ok.

A little something called past performance and the odds of what that player will continue to do next might have something to do with it.

I know, right?

How crazy that I would have that much more faith in the guy batting .390/.463/.610 than the one batting .218/.307/.282

What percentage of time does Hamilton hit (against a lefty) something that would score Trout from first vs what percentage of time Freese hits something that could score him from second?

I know, right?

Don't bring numbers into this, pal, or I will be forced to add that Hamilton had the only rbi of the game at that point, and Freese went 0-6 last night, leaving a team high 5 on base.

What percentage of time does Hamilton hit (against a lefty) something that would score Trout from first vs what percentage of time Freese hits something that could score him from second?

The point is that Trout could have been at 2nd without giving up an out to get him there, and a hit (the count was 0-2) puts men on 1st and 3rd with no outs. You play for the hit, especially with a LH batter, and Hamilton on deck.

All Scioscia did was insure an IBB for his best hitter.

The point is that Trout could have been at 2nd without giving up an out to get him there, and a hit (the count was 0-2) puts men on 1st and 3rd with no outs. You play for the hit, especially with a LH batter, and Hamilton on deck.

All Scioscia did was insure an IBB for his best hitter.

Calhoun's barely 300 OBP tells a different story. The bunt is the highest percentage way to get a runner to scoring position. Hamilton is obviously the better hitter but it's just silly to try to argue that his chances of scoring Trout from first was a surer bet than having 2 outs to use to get him home from second.

Calhoun's barely 300 OBP tells a different story. The bunt is the highest percentage way to get a runner to scoring position. Hamilton is obviously the better hitter but it's just silly to try to argue that his chances of scoring Trout from first was a surer bet than having 2 outs to use to get him home from second.

So the way MS handled it, Hamilton had NO CHANCE of scoring anyone from any base.

Freese isn't hitting anything, and hasn't since his first week back from the DL.

Could have lost that game just as easily, and probably should have considering some of Mike's head-scratching moves.

Calhoun's no out sac bunt was another. Kole had never laid down a sac bunt in his career for one, and for another...

It didn't work! All it did was give up an out, open up first base for a walk to a good hitter, and create a DP to end the inning..Again!

It would not surprise me at all if Bob Melvin went into that inning with the following plan:

1. Pitch around Trout

2. Let Scioscia bunt with Calhoun

3. IBB Hamilton

4. Pitch to Freese and Ibanez

That is exactly what I would do in that situation.  Get passed three good hitters and let Freese and Ibanez beat me which they are basically incapable of doing.  

It would not surprise me at all if Bob Melvin went into that inning with the following plan:

1. Pitch around Trout

2. Let Scioscia bunt with Calhoun

3. IBB Hamilton

4. Pitch to Freese and Ibanez

That is exactly what I would do in that situation.  Get passed three good hitters and let Freese and Ibanez beat me which they are basically incapable of doing.  

Exactly. Isn't very hard to figure out what Scioscia will do.

Melvin has owned Scioscia for years.

What is his OBP after a 2-0 count?

Looked it up. It's .412.

Edited by eaterfan