• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zach Borenstein

What do his stats look like so far this year? I am not hearing as much about him this year, but that more than likely has to do with his brother not being on here any more. Instigator alert-Daniel Nava was called up yesterday from the minors by Boston. I hope Toby was right and that Zach will be a better player in the Majors. I would be very happy if Zach could be last years Daniel Nava.

What do his stats look like so far this year? I am not hearing as much about him this year, but that more than likely has to do with his brother not being on here any more. Instigator alert-Daniel Nava was called up yesterday from the minors by Boston. I hope Toby was right and that Zach will be a better player in the Majors. I would be very happy if Zach could be last years Daniel Nava.

Stradling,

I interviewed him when i was out in AR and he wasn't doing that well (especially that night). However in the games following my visit (coincidence I think not!) he started hammering the ball and has continued to do so since then. Glad to see him get the call up. I'll try to get the interview transcribed, I've been extremely busy the last 2 weeks to the point I can't get anything reasonable done! :)

Stradling,

I interviewed him when i was out in AR and he wasn't doing that well (especially that night). However in the games following my visit (coincidence I think not!) he started hammering the ball and has continued to do so since then. Glad to see him get the call up. I'll try to get the interview transcribed, I've been extremely busy the last 2 weeks to the point I can't get anything reasonable done! :)

Here is where we have that discussion about priorities ettin.

Playing in the PCL will help his numbers. Dicky-Stephens Park has pretty much killed all our players' numbers this year.

These are his splits:

Home: .236/.310/.348  7 Doubles  0 Triples  1 HR

Away: .300/.370/.533  5 Doubles 2 Triples  4 HR

I have to think the club is showcasing him. Hard to see a spot for him any time in the future. Hope they move him to a good situation for a good return.

Possible, or it could coincide with Hamilton's setback. Not that rushing Borenstein to the majors will do much to offset that but still.

I have to think the club is showcasing him. Hard to see a spot for him any time in the future. Hope they move him to a good situation for a good return.

They may have moved him to AAA to try to have him take advantage of the park and up his profile, but honestly it's the right move to make.  That park is a soul crusher for a lot of hitters.   I think they may be waiting for Cowart to get his lefty/righty splits a bit more in line and they will likely promote him too.

Edited by Inside Pitch

In Wilson's interview, he mentioned that promotions were mostly about making certain adjustments and then once a player achieves some level of comfort then they challenge him by moving him up.  I think you can throw the Ark home numbers out the window as much as you can the advantage that players get from playing in SLC.  They saw something in Zach that clearly made them feel he was ready. 

As for Cowart, he has some pretty extreme splits as well which he didn't have last year.  He was bad on the road as well.  So even though it looks like he's been struggling like he did last year, the numbers tell a much different story.  He's also been much better this year vs. RHP.  The thing is though, Cowart is two years younger than Zach so they might leave him in AA for the full year to let him continue to develop. 

In Wilson's interview, he mentioned that promotions were mostly about making certain adjustments and then once a player achieves some level of comfort then they challenge him by moving him up.  I think you can throw the Ark home numbers out the window as much as you can the advantage that players get from playing in SLC.  They saw something in Zach that clearly made them feel he was ready. 

As for Cowart, he has some pretty extreme splits as well which he didn't have last year.  He was bad on the road as well.  So even though it looks like he's been struggling like he did last year, the numbers tell a much different story.  He's also been much better this year vs. RHP.  The thing is though, Cowart is two years younger than Zach so they might leave him in AA for the full year to let him continue to develop. 

I'm referring more to how the park will influence his numbers and possibly his value to others teams -- thus the comment about upping his profile.  Most teams looking at him putting up a .330/390/550 line in AAA will think there is more there than if he's putting up a .260./330/.450 line in AA.    Old biases and lazy thought processes are still rather common despite the turn towards saber analysis.

Regarding Cowart, I agree -- been defending his performance this year.  With out A ball and AA parks, people have to scratch below the surface a bit to get a real look at what a hitter is doing, which is why I liked to follow their LD, pull rates and those things.   Grichuk is the best recent example of a guy who had a really really strong season masked by his home park (he's been on a ridiculous tear since being returned to the minors), it's also why people need to not obsess over how Santiago does at SLC initially.

Edited by Inside Pitch

• 2 weeks later...

Promoting him was the right move. It isn't as if his numbers warranted it, but in terms of his confidence and value, getting him away from Dickey Stephens was smart. What are the chances his numbers continued to look like garbage in AA? Pretty decent, and then his confidence would be shot and teams would know his Cal League performance was a fluke. But by promoting him, we're putting him in an environment where he can succeed and suddenly have a strong lefty who climbed to AAA in a hurry. That sounds better than the alternative.

Admittedly, AAA isn't going great so far but it's only a matter of time before his fly balls start cutting through that thin air.

Promoting him was the right move. It isn't as if his numbers warranted it, but in terms of his confidence and value, getting him away from Dickey Stephens was smart. What are the chances his numbers continued to look like garbage in AA? Pretty decent, and then his confidence would be shot and teams would know his Cal League performance was a fluke. But by promoting him, we're putting him in an environment where he can succeed and suddenly have a strong lefty who climbed to AAA in a hurry. That sounds better than the alternative.

Admittedly, AAA isn't going great so far but it's only a matter of time before his fly balls start cutting through that thin air.

It's only been 50 at bats so far.   First 25 he hit .200, last 20 or so he's been around .333., so he's coming around.   High A numbers were inflated but, he's in a league where his age can't be held against him any longer.  If he starts driving the ball people will start talking him up some.

If Dickey Stephans Park in Arkansas continues to do serious damage to Angels hitting prospects, why do the Angels insist on renewing the minor league contract for that franchise year after year?

It doesn't do "damage" to the hitters. It means that fans need to understand the effects the park has on the prospects playing there. Big difference.

Precisely Dave.  Major League teams and scouts that do their homework are aware of the environment of the home park.  If anything, I'm surprised the Angels continue to renew their contract with Salt Lake.  We can't send our top pitching prospects there, their confidence will be shot in no time when they see routine pop-ups leave the park.  You'd think they'd want to choose something closer to Southern California that offers a similar environment to Angels Stadium or at least something neutral.  

As for Borenstein himself, he'll definitely come around.  It's the perfect hitting environment for him.  He's a strong guy and anything he puts into the air will be a homerun there.  SLC should be a huge confidence boost for him.  But again, anyone with half a mind is going to question the validity of his numbers because of the environment.  I would've loved to see him succeed in AA.  It would've gone a long way in convincing me that there's more to Borenstein than just a future power bat off the bench.