• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Skaggs wins vs Trumbombs

I'm one of the bigger Howie fans on here but I would trade him for a Zach Lee type just to add more cost controlled depth to a staff that has three solid young arms.

I would too, in fact one of my more bold predictions I made for the upcoming season was that Kendrick would not be our starting second baseman by the end of the year.  He's solid, steady as they come in the long term and an above average offensive options while being in my mind a below average but perfectly acceptable defensive option.  I feel confident that Green, Lindsey or Yarbrough could handle a second base job by the end of the year.  I think we'll see him dealt for a very good reliever. 

In a team to team comparison, I think the Angels received the greatest potential from the trade.

But on a personal level, I couldn't be more pleased for Trumbo. He was being platooned defensively, having no place to root himself in the field. I believe that had something to do with his tendency to be streaky at the plate. The game is a mental marathon and not knowing where — or if — you're going to play day-to-day takes a toll. I hope being grounded as a full time player on the Diamondacks will give him opportunity to become the complete player he's capable of.

Wishing nothing but the best for him. He's more than earned it.

On Recon's post, Masterson apparently turned down the Indians' latest offer. He is a FA after 2014. But if Richards, Santiago, and Skaggs all blossom by the close of the 2014 season, and Weaver and Wilson are still solid then there's no room and then they maybe wait until after 2015.

I think sherz and james shields are too, AO.

I agree that we 'could' be set if the youngsters can hold their own. But (and this isnt becsuse of todays start), I just really have a feeling weav is closer and closer to being a back end guy. Not done (at all), but no longer a plus pitcher. IMO, CJ wilson is not a suitable replacement for our number 1 guy.

The bottom line is this team had a massive weakness in young quality starting pitching. Prior to the Trumbo trade I felt Weaver was breaking down and more of a #3, Wilson was a fine #2-3 and Richards was a #4 with upside. We don't really have any starting pitching prospects at the upper levels really capable of making an impact.

We simply had to do the deal. Offense wasn't the problem last year even with production issues out of number 5 and Hamilton.

I fear Weaver will be a back of the rotation guy in 2015 and Wilson will age to be a #4.

We simply had to take the gamble of Skaggs' upside.

Yeah.  You have to take into account what you would have had otherwise.  Even if Weaver and Wilson weren't declining, it's still a smart move.  We've seen this from Trumbo in the past.  It's those massive slumps that have made the difference.  We'll see if he can avoid those stretches, but what he's doing now isn't something new. 

Agree with this 100%

I don't think that option is expiring at this point.  If they wait till after the season then they don't likely get what they can right now, but if they are out of it at the deadline, I think they can make that move.  Adding a AAA arm right now probably doesn't do much for the team as long as everyone is healthy.  It will at some point, but not right now. 

Howie is at the very least a league average second baseman. Those guys don't grow on trees. Half the league doesn't have one. Odds aren't great Lindsey will be one in his peak let alone in the window where Weaver, Wilson, Pujols or Hamilton are major contributors (2 years IMO). Don't trade Howie unless you plan on rebuilding. If that is the case then get more for Kendrick than one SP prospect. Too much risk of injury and lack of performance too put all the eggs in one basket.

Bring Hunter back next year on a one year deal to replace Ibanez as the DH.

I had the same thought, but I bet Detroit wants him back, and if you're Torii and want to win a World Series, Detroit is the better place to be.  

Plus, his numbers did slip quite a bit last year if you look deeper. He didn't get on base nearly as much and he's declined defensively.  

CJ Cron will be our DH by mid season.  I know they are less inclined to start his clock, but he probably should be sooner than that.  Or at least a platoon with Green/Long might work.  Ibanez has been the guy we feared we might be getting. 

Part of the philosophy that comes with trying to hit the ground running with a strong spring is to have a pretty short leash with guys that aren't performing.  90-100ab should be plenty to get going.  If it doesn't occur in that time, then it's less of a slump and more of a problem. 

To me, the same applies with the pen.  Perform or you are going to see reduced PT.  It's a tough thing to enforce in that some high paid players will get a lot more lee-way, but you can't worry about offending people.