• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Padres release Brandon Wood

jshep

Poor guy. He used to be one of my favorite players/prospects coming up. I remember being able to watch him and Howie when they would come to Lake Elsinore and they would tear it up.

I thought his opposite field homer vs Pettite was the turning point, but sadly that just proved to be one of his career highlights in a career of many lows.

RIP Brandon Wood the player. Best of luck.

I see from the NCAA basketball commercials that Enterprise rent a car is hiring. Does he have a degree?

They have been running a lot of commercials during the NCAA Tournament saying that they hire more college graduates than anyone else. I thought to myself, how sad, that you go to college for four years, get a degree and the only job you can find is working the counter for a car rental company.

They have been running a lot of commercials during the NCAA Tournament saying that they hire more college graduates than anyone else. I thought to myself, how sad, that you go to college for four years, get a degree and the only job you can find is working the counter for a car rental company.

That student loan isn't gonna pay itself off.

Maybe they should have earned a real degree. I bet Liberal Arts majors fill many more of the Enterprise counters than STEM students.

I too feel bad for Brandon Wood. He's really a great guy. I had a chance to interview him and Sean Rodriguez in Tony Reagins ST office in Mesa, AZ back in 2005.

Wish nothing but the best for him going forward.

I really don't know of anyone who has had contact with Brandon, however brief, who comes away not saying what a great personality and what great character. Whenever I think of him, I think of Billy Beane.  Both had great promise as potential major leaguers (labeled as can't miss), but just couldn't get their hitting under control in the bigs, and flamed out early.  Beane survived as a scout, and now as a premier GM.  Best of luck to Brandon in whatever he chooses to do going forward.

My other thoughts on Brandon relate to his good friendship with Nick Adenhart.  Actually my most prized Angel collectible is a Brandon Wood used game jersey (away) with the Prestin Gomez, and Nick Adenhart patches from 2009.  When I look at it I think of a great mentor to young players (Gomez), and broken dreams professionally (Wood), and in life (Adenhart).  It's also a stark reminder to never drink and drive.

Edited by tomsred

he could go to Japan and perhaps have a decent career there -- although it's no guarantee --- I imagine the Japanese league has become quite competitive and long gone are the days when US players could go over there and tear up the league --- the Japanese leagues used to have (and probably still do have) a limitation on the number of US players each team could have.

I hope the best for Brandon Wood -- it's a hard fall for these guys -- early round draft pick, big signing bonus, 'can't miss' tag, and then the struggles -- big league camp as a prospect and attention to non-roster invitee with a 99 type number on the uni.......and then not even that.........meanwhile guys you played with in the minors -- even if MIF bench guys -- are signing million dollar contracts........

for those who remember Get Smart -- he was 'that close" -- time to get out the telephone shoe and start making calls........

Japan vs. trying to catch on with a AA or triple A team for depth purposes.........at this point, he's not even a 4-A player.......OUCH.

tough fall........how much MLB time does he have ?  enough to qualify for a pension?  even $300 a month?? hard to say,