• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Patrick Corbin May Be Facing Tommy John Surgery

nando714

is it just me or does it seem like there has been a much higher incidence of ucl and tj surgery for a bunch of young guys over the last 2-3 years. 

I think a lot of these younger pitchers are putting too much on their arm too soon. Some of them, like Corbin and Strasberg have really good stuff but it's probably tough on their arms at such a young age.

I'm hoping Skaggs doesn't ever go through that.

That's very unfortunate. I really wish the best for his recovery, and I hope his career doesn't suffer from this (serious) injury. It seems like he barely felt/perceived the injury as it happened, which is normally indicative of a very serious injury.

I'm always bummed out when good, young pitchers get injured like this. When discussing it with reporters, you could really tell that Patrick was shaken up by the news.

I just hope Corbin doesn't end up like Brandon Webb—that guy was on his way to become something great until injuries ended his career.

I bet everyone in Arizona is fuming over the Skaggs trade right now; it was such a horrible move for them, especially in light of this news.

--

Edit: sorry for sounding like a douche, but perhaps this thread would be better served if the title mentioned Corbin's injury.

Edited by failos

What are the odds that none of our starters will lose time due to injury this year?

I'd say less than 20%.

Well, it's almost guaranteed that our rotation will experience minor injuries here costing us at least 6-8 starts—although it's an insignificant number, it's just enough to prevent us from making the playoffs. The Angels need a Jerome Williams-type player who can have a big role in the bullpen, but also be able to step in for a SP role in the event of injuries. I really can't envision anyone on the roster providing that type relief.

Jerome did a pretty good job filling in for guys like Hanson, who often screwed up earlier on in the game. I'm really pissed the Angels let him go to the goddamn LAstros. Smh.

Edited by failos

^ im wondering the same. Maybe kids are being taught breaking pitches too soon?

I'd say the biggest reason is that kids are throwing a lot more and resting a lot less.  The younger they have TJ surgery, the more likely they'll have it again.

Just last year someone did a study of current MLB pitchers and found that one-third (124 of 360) already had TJ surgery.

Here's the list of pitchers from last year already having TJ surgery.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/documents/BR-TommyJohnList.pdf

Jerome did a pretty good job filling in for guys like Hanson, who often screwed up earlier on in the game. I'm really pissed the Angels let him go to the goddamn LAstros. Smh.

Jerome had an ERA over 5 last season as a starter. I really liked the guy and thought he was perfect for the bullpen but as a starter he was not good. He wanted to be a starter and the Angels could not offer him that so he left for that opportunity. It was not the Angels fault he moved on.

Jerome had an ERA over 5 last season as a starter. I really liked the guy and thought he was perfect for the bullpen but as a starter he was not good. He wanted to be a starter and the Angels could not offer him that so he left for that opportunity. It was not the Angels fault he moved on.

He was actually willing to accept any role the angels provided; although, he preferred to be a starter, so you're mostly right.

I too liked him more as a reliever than anything.