• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Waiting on David Price

Cdaniel

What if we signed Arroyo for two years and made a push for Price when he becomes a FA in 2016. The Arroyo contract should allow us to extend Trout and still put a competitive Rotation with some depth for the next couple of years plus it allows us time for Skaggs and Santiago to develop. Imagine our rotation in 2016.

Price

Weaver (contract year)

Wilson (contract year)

Richards

Skaggs

Santiago

Green.

That's pretty stinking solid. Also depending on how we draft and how the young guys develop it gives us a trade chip in Wilson. Not sure what the money would look like in 2016 but two big contracts come off the books in Weaver and Wilson and Hamiltons comes off in 2017. I was just doing some forward thinking. What do you think the chances are that we can land Price?

Price will be 30 when he reaches FA. If Price stays healthy and maintains his current production I expect him to get more than a $200 million deal, probably landing more than Kershaw.

That's going to be the cost of pitching though. The Angels will be able to afford it.

So you're asking us a question about potentially signing a guy in FA two years from now? What kind of response do you want? We'll most likely put in a bid for him like we've been doing recently in FA and hope that he wants to play for us. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and some other team will do the same, and he'll probably sign with them unless we out-bid them.  

They could also trade Wilson after 2015; assuming he is still solid enough that the team acquiring him paid for at least most of his 2016 salary. That would free up more money for Price.

Price, Weaver, Santiago, Richards, and Skaggs could end up being a great rotation by then.

Even by then, Hunter Green will only be as advanced as just starting out at the AA level.

The monkey wrench though is Hamilton's and Pujols' contracts. Considering that we are approaching that time where they will be making between $50-60 million per season collectively, they had better get their hitting started STAT!

Edited by Angel Oracle

So you're asking us a question about potentially signing a guy in FA two years from now? What kind of response do you want? We'll most likely put in a bid for him like we've been doing recently in FA and hope that he wants to play for us. The Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and some other team will do the same, and he'll probably sign with them unless we out-bid them.

Just doing a little forward thinking. I thought it would make for an interesting topic. I imagine that The front office looks 2,3,4,5 years down the line as well. Maybe this is something they have talked about.

They could also trade Wilson after 2015; assuming he is still solid enough that the team acquiring him paid for at least most of his 2016 salary. That would free up more money for Price.

Price, Weaver, Santiago, Richards, and Skaggs could end up being a great rotation by then.

Even by then, Hunter Green will only be as advanced as just starting out at the AA level.

The monkey wrench though is Hamilton's and Pujols' contracts. Considering that we are approaching that time where they will be making between $50-60 million per season collectively, they had better get their hitting started STAT!

I agree. I think they will both have bounce back years this year. I don't have stats to back it up, just a gut feeling. The 60 mil combined salary doesn't bug me so much cause it's the AAV for the lux tax.

If Masterson can refine his control, he is an intriguing option a year from now.

As he is, he finished 8th in Ks and 1st in GB/FB ratio amongst AL starters in 2013.

That might be why some are starting to see a potential Scherzer type breakthrough for him in 2014. He's had two rock solid seasons sandwiched around a disappointing 2012.

Edited by Angel Oracle

this team could be a playoff contender for 2014/15 and potentially 16 or it could be a complete disaster by then. 

there is potentially a core of solid young players if they develop as anticipated.

Skaggs, Santiago, Richards, Calhoun, Lindsey, Cron, Conger and a bunch of young pen arms set to move up from the farm system. 

Of course, not all of those players will be as good as we hope they can.  Pujols is likely a full time DH and Hamilton may be a platoon guy barely justifiable to put in the lineup.  Weaver and Wilson will likely be mid at best to back end starters. 

It may be that there is enough to justify spending on a big time FA pitcher but with almost 150mil in salaries committed to 2016 (including arb players) and Trout without an extension, it's gonna have to be the ultimate missing piece or else it will be hard to justify. 

Getting talent in return for the likes of Wilson, Kendrick, Aybar, Ianetta, Freese, a couple of relievers, and maybe Weaver could bridge the gap a bit but who knows. 

The point is that there is a fine balance between trying to predict 3 years into the future and setting the team up to get the most you can now without mortgaging that future.

For the here and now, I believe there is still real value that can be added for 2014 and if that can be done for a modicum of cost without loss of players or draft picks, then you are obligated relative to your current window.