• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

DirecTV axes The Weather Channel

During the arctic vortex or whatever it was called, TWC projected temps about 5 degrees lower than it ever got.  The local news had it perfect.  Same with when we got severe storms.  I dunno, I don't see them as doing some great service.

You're complaining because they were 5 degrees off?  That's well within the margin of error for these projection models, plus the forecast doesn't apply to your exact location. 

Temperatures in the same city can vary by a few degrees depending on topography.

You're complaining because they were 5 degrees off?  That's well within the margin of error for these projection models, plus the forecast doesn't apply to your exact location. 

Temperatures in the same city can vary by a few degrees depending on topography.

On one day they were off by 15 degrees.  Meanwhile the local forecasts were right on.

On one day they were off by 15 degrees.  Meanwhile the local forecasts were right on.

First you said 5 degrees and when I questioned it, you suddenly remember a time when it was 15 degrees off?  Why didn't you say 15 degrees the first time?

It's impossible for local forecasts to be "right on" because the numbers given are for a large geographic area where temperatures normally fluctuate.  Right on for you means they were off for other people. 

They were off by at least 5 every day during it.

Anyway, they list my city and other cities nearby with variations in temp so uh that doesn't sound like a whole region.  Same with the local news.

Off for who?  Nobody is providing forecasts for your specific location down to the street and house level. 

Even if the forecast was specifically for Mequon, WI there will be small temperature differences throughout Mequon.  Could be 1-4 degrees on a normal day. 

I am not trying to ruin your month. I will not get caught up in rumors. MP, this reminds me of the thread where nate made you look silly about healthcare in the political forum.

You mean the thread where he tried to say insurance makes healthcare cheaper and more efficient? 

The only thing The Weather Channel has going for it are competent meteorologists.  Local news has bimbos reading from teleprompters. 

That is one thing that separates Oklahoma City from any other market I have ever lived in in terms of weather coverage. Because of the nature of the weather there, none of the stations had ornaments reading the weather. They all had highly-credentialed and respected meteorologists. Every station made a major investment in the latest and greatest in weather radar. The National Severe Storms Laboratory is also located in Norman, about 20 miles to the south, and it serves as a resource to the local stations as well.

In the opening scene of Twister in which the family is headed for the cellar, the television broadcast shown is real. The meteorologist is Gary England, the senior meteorologist in the market, working for KWTV Channel 9, the CBS affiliate. His stern warning - "You need to be underground if you expect to survive this" - is credited with saving a number of lives in the F5 tornado that passed through the OKC area in May 1999. In a later interview he said that he considered his words carefully, knowing that he was addressing people accustomed to tornadoes who had become almost casual about them. He had to find a way to get across to them that this storm was far worse than any others he had seen during his career.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan