• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bands you like that most people mock you for?

nate

Cranberries are another one.  Although I think it is because I am not a woman.

A lot of guys get mocked by one dimensional tough guys who would never, in a million years, listen to a female vocalist, no matter how much talent they (the female artist) displayed.  Ironically, I think it takes a much stronger person to stand up in defense of his own aesthetic judgements, now matter how against the grain they may be, than to flex muscles and hide behind a safe and sound masculine stereotype.  

Having said that there are a lot of shitty female singers too.  

The Supremes, The Cranberries, Blondie, Madonna, Metric, Rihanna, Florence and the Machine, and Lady Gaga are all very good.  Katy Perry, Beyonce, Brittany Spears and Nicki Manaj make me sick to my stomach.      

Edited by saangels

Oingo Boingo

Blasphemy!  Oingo Boingo is a supergroup that practically invented Ska and Goth. The disparate parts have gone on to be involved in creating some of the most iconic music in Hollywood and out of the Vancouver production scene.

Not only did they create the 80's iconic songs Dead Man's Party and Weird Science, the list of movies and shows they scored include The Simpsons theme, the music for Battlestar Galactica, Nightmare Before Christmas, Desperate Housewives, Batman, Spider Man, and Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories.

As a side note, in the early 90's, when Oingo Boingo was still active, I was going to Irvine Valley College. One day, I was heading to the Main Building in the center of campus and a band was playing. I didn't think anything of it until I was just about to pass by the drummer and glanced over. It was Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez. I stopped cold, then noticed the bassist was John Avila. The lead singer and guitarist was the local music teacher. No one else was around. I literally just stopped there and sat where I was, wide-eyed and slack-jawed.

Vatos saw this entire thing happen right in front of him and lost his timing to the song they were playing momentarily, he was laughing so hard.  They played 4 more songs, then began tearing down their gear. I was the only person that stopped to watch and got my own private concert.

It was actually kind of awesome because both John's couldn't have been more gracious to me. The next time I saw either of them was in San Francisco on stage at the Fillmore playing in Boingo. I was there with a date and we were on the floor when Avila spotted me in crowd, pointed and waved. He then went over to Vatos, pointed at me, and Johnny pointed his stick at me smiled and waved.

Needless to say, I got laid that night.

lol.

this post made me laugh pretty good.

I know exactly what you mean with the music hipsters that seem to only like x band or whatever's old stuff. Reminds me of high school and punk where everyone passed around Pennywise, Guttermouth, Screeching Weasel, etc. but there was always the dude that wanted to be too cool for school and make sure he had his Misfits or Black Flag shirt on with elitist pride. Great bands, but you could see through it. Same with Bad Religion and how their new stuff wasn't as good as their old stuff.

But the Misfits, Black Flag, and older Bad Religion (I'm thinking 80-85) are much better bands than Pennywise, Guttermouth, and Screeching Weasel.  Maybe the guy wasn't trying to be too cool for school.  Perhaps he just had better taste in music.  

I understand what you're saying though, Brandon.  The Misfits, Black Flag, and the Dead Kennedys have an equal tendency to appeal to some of the basest, most pseudo-intellectual posers known to mankind.  But let us not denigrate the music because the fans happen to be idiots.  Speaking purely in terms of musical composition: there is no comparing late 70's-80's punk to the trash that came after it.            

My favorite was that same dude, and the one I mean in the initial post, that says the bands after 1990 "are too new school". You're not that punk dude. No matter how many patches you put on your jacket, stickers on your folder, or degrade anything after Rancids "and out comes the wolves"

no doubt a great album. Stranger than fiction is another that gets a lot of flack from the purists but I think it's one of their best.

Probably my number 2, but I'd have to sit down and really go over it. 16 albums is a lot of shit to go through and I kind of stopped after Process of Belief. It may be one of the older albums SA thinks is cool.

A lot of guys get mocked by one dimensional tough guys who would never, in a million years, listen to a female vocalist, no matter how much talent they (the female artist) displayed.  Ironically, I think it takes a much stronger person to stand up in defense of his own aesthetic judgements, now matter how against the grain they may be, than to flex muscles and hide behind a safe and sound masculine stereotype.  

Having said that there are a lot of shitty female singers too.  

The Supremes, The Cranberries, Blondie, Madonna, Metric, Rihanna, Florence and the Machine, and Lady Gaga are all very good.  Katy Perry, Beyonce, Brittany Spears and Nicki Manaj make me sick to my stomach.      

Lucinda Williams is better than all of them Way better. Just my opinion. 

no doubt a great album. Stranger than fiction is another that gets a lot of flack from the purists but I think it's one of their best.

I remember when they released Recipe for Hate and a bunch of their "fans" said they were sell outs with that album. The harder rock/punk bands will never be able to satisfy everybody. 

Man, 80-85 was a greatest hits album. That shit doesn't count. Almost everyone I know likes that album but understands it's more of a compilation than an original album.

That would be like me picking a Depeche Mode greatest hits album over their originals.

It's funny, I talked to a guy at a party one night who repeatedly said that Depeche Mode was his favorite band and he knew everything about them. When I asked him what his favorite album was by them, he said, "Catching Up with Depeche Mode. Every song on that album is really good." I didn't even bother to tell him anything because he probably wouldn't have understood. 

In my opinion, Black Celebration is their best. . But Not Tonight is such a classic pop song.