• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

15 athletes who went broke

Dykstra was a teammate of mine on the 1975 East Garden Grove Mustangs of the Junior All American Football League. He was an excellent athlete and probably the most intense preteen kid I've ever encountered. As I followed his career I always assumed he would flame out. No way he would fade quietly into retirement.

Among all these guys the overriding theme is trusting someone else to care as much about your money and future as you do. Always a bad idea. 

And that is just a partial listing.  I have a close friend who played in the NBA.  When he quit playing the 76ers GM asked him to talk to their rookies about deferring their signing bonus and doing some smart things with their money.  I accompanied him when we met these guys - not just 76er players.

We might as well have been yelling out the window on a car on the 110 freeway driving 80 mph.

These guys wanted to buy a car, take care of momma and their posse.  You could see bankruptcy about to happen years before it really occurred.

"Three-time All-Star player Lenny Dykstra, and his omnipresent wad of chewing tobacco, won the 1986 World Series. However, by 2011 he had lost about $50 million. In 2008, he began a high-end jet charter company and a magazine offering financial advice to athletes.

In 2009, he filed for bankruptcy, and in 2011 he was indicted on charges of car theft and drug possession. His legal troubles didn't end there. In Aug. 2011, he was charged with allegedly exposing himself to women he met on Craiglist."

i guess the magazine wasn't such a good idea afterall.

DR, good thing dykstra wasn't the one who put in the ad for long toss.

What I don't get about a lot of these guys listed, as well as a lot of the lotto winners etc. is let's say you have a $50M lump sum (be it life savings from baseball or a lotto payment) -- why not keep just keep 10% of that ($5M) in assorted banks and low-risk mutual funds as a fall-back, and only invest 90% of your money instead of 100% in the dicey high risk/reward business ventures? That way worst case you still have more than enough money in reserve to maintain a decent living for many years without having to work.

I don't get why someone not living paycheck to paycheck wouldn't keep a comfortable buffer of cash or other liquid assets in case of just such an outcome. 

What I don't get about a lot of these guys listed, as well as a lot of the lotto winners etc. is let's say you have a $50M lump sum (be it life savings from baseball or a lotto payment) -- why not keep just keep 10% of that ($5M) in assorted banks and low-risk mutual funds as a fall-back, and only invest 90% of your money instead of 100% in the dicey high risk/reward business ventures? That way worst case you still have more than enough money in reserve to maintain a decent living for many years without having to work.

I don't get why someone not living paycheck to paycheck wouldn't keep a comfortable buffer of cash or other liquid assets in case of just such an outcome. 

because a) these are mostly poor inner city kids who are now flush with legit wealth overnight, b ) they assume its going to keep coming in forever, c) they are surrounded by leaches the second they show abnormal talent, etc etc etc.

Latrell "I can't feed my family making 7 million a year for 3 years" Sprewell

When he made that statement one of the local radio stations took off with it, doing a spoof of the ads you see begging for money to feed kids in third world countries. "For only $44,000 per day, you can help feed Latrell Sprewell's family."