• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

I didn't mention Jordan because I just don't envision him leaving the Clippers but I'd gladly take him. I'd prefer him or Gasol over Love or Aldridge because they're legit C's who play D. Put one of them in the middle and see what Randle can do at PF.

Defense and rebounding should be the main target skills for a FA C. Othewise, the interior will still be a sieve.

Aside from GS the previous champions for the last decade were San Antonio, Miami, Dallas, Los Angeles and Boston.  San Antonio has Duncan, Miami had Bosh in the last run and Shaq for their first title, Dallas has Dirk and had Chandler who defensively was huge, the Lakers had Gasol and Boston had KG.  Duncan is probably the greatest PF or all time, Shaq is well Shaq and while he was slowing down was still a force, Bosh was a top PF, Dirk was a top PF, Chandler was one of the better defenders, KG is arguably the 2nd greatest PF of all time and Gasol was making all NBA teams during his title runs with the Lakers.  I agree that the NBA is changing but all of those teams had guys who were dominant whether it's all time greats (Duncan, Shaq, Dirk, KG) or all-star and all-NBA team level talent (Bosh, Chandler, Gasol) during their runs.  A dominant big man even if he's just a defender and not known for offense can go a long way even in today's NBA.  

It's ok to have size down low but you don't need to use your #2 pick in the draft on that.

Only time will tell. I hope they made the right call, I don't know enough about either player to know that. If you ask me would I rather have the best point guard from the last 15 years or Tim Duncan that last 15 years I will take Duncan.

It's ok to have size down low but you don't need to use your #2 pick in the draft on that.

My point wasn't so much about the Russell/Okafor debate it was more to the fact that the Lakres still need to address the front court.  GS won with top guards, a high scoring offense, some strong perimeter defenders and a deep bench which isn't easy to replicate either.  A dominant big man who doesn't need to necessarily be dominant on both sides of the ball can still go a long way towards helping a team contend in the NBA.  

Edited by Catwhoshatinthehat

I would have drafted Okafor, but then again I am a 27 year old man sitting behind a laptop while Mitch & co. are the decision makers. I loved Okafor's upside and I think we could regret this move down the line.

As for Russell, after getting over the initial shock, I like the pick. A lot. The one thing that concerns me is that he openly states that he plays the game slow so he can see everything. That may not work on the NBA level. Again, the NBA is much faster than college. He's playing against the top of the top. You can't play the game slow against Harden, Curry, Westbrook, Paul, etc...I do like his shot and his court vision, though. I just hope that if he has too, he can speed his game up. I am also cautious about his defense.

The one thing that bothers me most about this draft is we still have a big gaping hole at C. I don't know who the Lakers' are going after. I highly doubt De'Andre Jordan & Marc Gasol are leaving their respective teams. I think a sleeper is Omer Asik. I would look into signing Tyson Chandler. He gives you a defensive minded big. I do agree with HaloWHAM!...I love signing Upshaw to the summer league. If he can straighten his head, we are looking at a major heist.

If you go after Aldridge, which I wouldn't mind, you're getting a player who is not a true C and according to the Portland media is adamant about not playing C. I would love him here though but I don't know how it impacts Randle's growth. I want no part of Kevin Love. We also have a nice gap at the 3 and would like the Lakers to make a run at someone who can knock down the 3 and play D...Danny Green.

I wonder if the Lakers' will now dangle Clarkson out there to see what they can return for him. I can't see a future backcourt of Russell / Clarkson working out too well.

I'm sorry but Russell and Clarkson fit well together. Russell is a great shooter, Clarkson a great slasher and they both can play off the ball. Clarkson thrived when playing along side another PG last season, I'd expect him to be even better playing with someone who compliments him perfectly.

I'm glad they didn't go with Okafor. He isn't a franchise changing player like Russell is. He play no defense, doesn't have a jumper, can't hit FT's, lacks athleticsim and would've have meshed well with current roster.

Maybe I need to watch more of Clarkson to be completely sold on him being able to fit with Russell. What would you say is a good comparison for him? I'd much rather have a more traditional 2 guard but that is probably because we've been spoiled by Kobe since 1996. At this point, do either Clarkson or Russel project to be someone you can just go to when you need a bucket like Kobe, Steph, Harden, etc..? 

I have no base for this, but I just have a gut feeling that the Lakers are interested in Tyson Chandler. Isn't he from LA? He's 32 and still productive. I could see the Lakers' offering him a 2-3 year deal if they strike out on Jordan. He'd be a great role model for Robert Upshaw if he can stick. 

My point wasn't so much about the Russell/Okafor debate it was more to the fact that the Lakres still need to address the front court.  GS won with top guards, a high scoring offense, some strong perimeter defenders and a deep bench which isn't easy to replicate either.  A dominant big man who doesn't need to necessarily be dominant on both sides of the ball can still go a long way towards helping a team contend in the NBA.  

That's fair.  I was focusing more on the Russell/Okafor issue.

The main reason the game has evolved away from the dominant big man is that there just aren't any dominant big men.

Yea, you may not need a dominating center, but you need a wide body that can play defense and get rebounds. It is also helpful if you can make 70% of your free throws.

Even low 60s is fine, if the defense and rebounding are excellent.

Russell/Clarkson backcourt with the solid height will present some issues for opposing teams.

Maybe I need to watch more of Clarkson to be completely sold on him being able to fit with Russell. What would you say is a good comparison for him? I'd much rather have a more traditional 2 guard but that is probably because we've been spoiled by Kobe since 1996. At this point, do either Clarkson or Russel project to be someone you can just go to when you need a bucket like Kobe, Steph, Harden, etc..?

I have no base for this, but I just have a gut feeling that the Lakers are interested in Tyson Chandler. Isn't he from LA? He's 32 and still productive. I could see the Lakers' offering him a 2-3 year deal if they strike out on Jordan. He'd be a great role model for Robert Upshaw if he can stick.

Clarkson's game is similar to Westbrook, I'm not saying he's going to be Westbrook but the similarities are there. The kid finished with a 17.0 PER and made the all-rookie first team. I think he's a future all-star down the road.