• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Official Website: Scioscia supports case for team record in MVP talks

On one hand, I agree with him. Until the "MVP" becomes the "Ty Cobb Award", it will still be the Most Valuable Player award. Some consider it to mean the same as "best player in the league" but that isn't the literal translation of it. It literally means the "Player who was most valuable to his team".

I think the award should be changed to something like the Cy Young award so we no longer have to have these debates. The team a player is on should not deter said player from winning the award simply because the team sucks. Until then, voters will use the literal translation (as well as dem ribbies and homers) to base their votes on.

The whole idea that Trout should be dinged because he's teammates with Joe Blanton, Tommy Hanson, Josh Hamilton, etc. instead of good baseball players still seems awfully stupid to me.

whatever though.

Which is why the award should be changed all-together. The "MVP" is basically the "Guy who puts up the best overall stats among players who also have the fortune of being on a good team that could probably contend without him regardless-award"

I agree with tdawg. Actually, for awhile I've thought it would be a good idea to split it into the "Kirk Gibson Award" and the "Barry Bonds Award". The latter would be given to the best offensive player in the game, while the former would be given to the player - hitter or pitcher - who did the most to get his team to the postseason.

I agree with tdawg. Actually, for awhile I've thought it would be a good idea to split it into the "Kirk Gibson Award" and the "Barry Bonds Award". The latter would be given to the best offensive player in the game, while the former would be given to the player - hitter or pitcher - who did the most to get his team to the postseason.

Trout would win neither of those awards. They need to have a "Mike Trout" award given to the best all around player. Trout would certainly be deserving of that.

Total over-reaction. Sosh said nothing wrong here. In fact, he's 100% correct

Nope, not at all.   A manager should be sticking up for, and promoting his players.   Like Leyland has done for cabrera last year, and almost every year.   Scioscia is just out of touch with this team, and it's ridiculous how he treats young players.

In his mind, the "star players" are Pujols and Hamilton.   And Trout is just a young guy "still trying to make a name for himself."

That doesn't really matter. What matters is that Scioscia publicly said that Cabrera deserves to be MVP.

Besides, if Miggy played for the Angels then Joe Blanton, Tommy Hanson, Chris Ianetta, Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton would disqualify him from even being considered. He would also be hitting .240 with 15 HR.

It's ok Trout will have his day.

Btw Cabrera had another walk off win tonight. Still waiting for Trout to have a walk off win.

so MS is saying that all things being about equal, it makes a player more valuable if he were to put up mvp type numbers on a team in the playoff hunt vs. the same numbers on a non playoff team. 

people are looking for the manager to be more honest and less generic.  Tell it like it is. 

Except for when it may, perhaps, maybe, just might slightly annoy golden boy. 

If I were Mike Trout, I'd be more annoyed that the media and fans think I'm such a petulant, entitled prima donna with a fragile ego.