• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Flying to Hawaii

Starting to plan next summer's vacation. I want to do my usual trip to southern California, but would like to take another week and continue on to Hawaii.

What is the best/easiest way to do this? What airline/airport works best?

I've never seen direct flights from John Wayne or Long Beach and we flew out of LAX.  As far as airline recommendations I don't really have any because I don't have specific airlines I target.  I use travel sites and go for the best deal possible.  I went to O'ahu last year and heading to Kauai later this year.  Waikiki was fun but I'm looking much more forward to going to a less popular spot as it had elements of it that reminded me of SoCal.  

I've never seen direct flights from John Wayne or Long Beach and we flew out of LAX.  As far as airline recommendations I don't really have any because I don't have specific airlines I target.  I use travel sites and go for the best deal possible.  I went to O'ahu last year and heading to Kauai later this year.  Waikiki was fun but I'm looking much more forward to going to a less popular spot as it had elements of it that reminded me of SoCal.  

United flies direct from John Wayne to Hawaii.

Depends on what you want to do in Hawaii.  Like mentioned, the big island is pointless, unless you want to just cross it off your list for seeing an active volcano flow.  Oahu is over commercialized, but is something you should do once (Waikiki, North Shore, etc).  IIRC, I read somewhere that Waikiki has the densest tourist population in the U.S.  Kauai is the most laid back, not a ton of sight-seeing outside of Poipu and Princeville.  It is also the lush jungle wonderland that you read about in books, and has the highest elevation of the islands.  Maui is my favorite, as it has the best mix of golf, touristy stuff, and relaxing stuff (beaches, bike rides, etc).

Don't doubt you but after doing a couple searches a few weeks out and a month out I didn't see anything direct from John Wayne to Honolulu.  Maybe it's to another airport/island.

Would love United from John Wayne. I have lots of FF miles with them/Continental

Depends on what you want to do in Hawaii.  Like mentioned, the big island is pointless, unless you want to just cross it off your list for seeing an active volcano flow.  Oahu is over commercialized, but is something you should do once (Waikiki, North Shore, etc).  IIRC, I read somewhere that Waikiki has the densest tourist population in the U.S.  Kauai is the most laid back, not a ton of sight-seeing outside of Poipu and Princeville.  It is also the lush jungle wonderland that you read about in books, and has the highest elevation of the islands.  Maui is my favorite, as it has the best mix of golf, touristy stuff, and relaxing stuff (beaches, bike rides, etc).

I should have mentioned it is Oahu. We are going to the Disney Vacation Resort there (Aulani). We are members in Florida, and want to try this one out.

Did Maui on the honeymoon and loved it.

I would stay away from Allegiant Air.  I took it from Santa Maria to Honolulu last October and it sucked. Took off 35 mins late, landed 1 hour late. From the research I did after the fact, it seems that is a pretty common occurrence. Because of that, I missed my connection to Kauai.

The seats don't recline, there's no TV's, no movies, no free snacks (must buy everything), no magazines, and they charge for all bags (except personal carry-on bag). It's a discount carrier that gives you bare minimum service and amenities.  If that's what you want, that's what you get.

Have fun at Aulani, the place looks nice.

I would stay away from Allegiant Air.  I took it from Santa Maria to Honolulu last October and it sucked. Took off 35 mins late, landed 1 hour late. From the research I did after the fact, it seems that is a pretty common occurrence. Because of that, I missed my connection to Kauai.

The seats don't recline, there's no TV's, no movies, no free snacks (must buy everything), no magazines, and they charge for all bags (except personal carry-on bag). It's a discount carrier that gives you bare minimum service and amenities.  If that's what you want, that's what you get.

Have fun at Aulani, the place looks nice.

Allegiant has a bad reputation around here too. They offer lower prices to Florida out of some secondary airports, but if there is any kind of problem, you are stuck.