• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2024-2025 Anaheim Ducks Thread

19 hours ago, deepdrive said:

And F Chicago.  2nd isn't much better than 3rd in this draft. Now they can't get another lottery pick for 3 years - their primary suck years.

I believe that only moving up counts as winning the lottery. They didn't move up this year, so they can move up again. Finishing 1 or 2 isn't counted as winning if you are in your original slot.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mock 2024 NHL Draft: Experts split after Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev go top 3

Interesting.  Not unsurprising though, but interesting that the top 3 are now kind of consensus.  I wouldn't mind the big Russian though.  The only bad thing is he's a LD.  But more than likely, we don't have to rush him to the NHL also.  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/835541/anton-silayev

https://thehockeywriters.com/anton-silayev-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

7 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Mock 2024 NHL Draft: Experts split after Celebrini, Levshunov, Silayev go top 3

Interesting.  Not unsurprising though, but interesting that the top 3 are now kind of consensus.  I wouldn't mind the big Russian though.  The only bad thing is he's a LD.  But more than likely, we don't have to rush him to the NHL also.  

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/835541/anton-silayev

https://thehockeywriters.com/anton-silayev-2024-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Is that the end of Lacombe if we draft a left hand defender ?

I don't know that he's the way to go at 3. You only get so many chances at high level scorers. You would have to be pretty confident that this guy is going to develop offensively. There are some quality RHD in the first two rounds.

8 hours ago, deepdrive said:

Is that the end of Lacombe if we draft a left hand defender ?

I don't know that he's the way to go at 3. You only get so many chances at high level scorers. You would have to be pretty confident that this guy is going to develop offensively. There are some quality RHD in the first two rounds.

Gravtech I think it was did a mock, and he thinks they go after demividov at 2.  His rationale was that beddard needs more help now than they need the best defenseman in the draft. Man, I hope he's right because levshunov would fit perfectly with either minty or little Z.

@deepdrive  Would you?  Would they?

Ducks trade the #3 overall pick + the third round Pittsburgh pick to Chicago for the #2 overall pick.

Why should the Ducks do it?  The Ducks are guaranteed to get Levshunov.  He would be the perfect fit in the Ducks lineup.  Your #1 line would be Fowler/Little Z.  Your #1a line would be Minty/Levshunov  This would also let Luneau get a full season at the Gulls, every game, instead of the in and out he got last season.  That would move Gudas to the 3rd pairing, where he might be most effective.  He is getting older, and plays a grinding game.  Towards the end of the season he was in and out with injuries because he was playing 1st and 2nd line time.  And we have 3 third round picks with a deep ass farm system.  I don't think losing the higher of the 3 picks would hurt the system at all.

Why should the Hawks do it?  Extra pick.  They may or may not go after Levshunov.  Demidov might have been their target all along, and if so, why not get the extra pick.  

I'm not trading any assets to move up in this draft. I'd love to acquire more and move down.

I like Levshunov the best and I think he'd be a great fit, but there's no consensus he's the second best player. There's not even consensus that he's the 3rd or 4th best player. I think so many of the guys who could go 2-12 are very close in talent and potential. I wouldn't bet on any of those guys to end up being the best of the bunch with any conviction. 

As for team fit... This team is bad and the pick will probably be at least 1 year away from making the team and maybe 2-3. A lot can change over the next 2 years. No one on this team is a sure thing high impact player. They need to improve everything. Passing on someone because Zellweger is blocking them would be like passing on the number one SS in the MLB draft because Neto is there. I'm hoping all the young guys (NHL and prospects) work out, but don't pay to target a need. The needs may be very different when the player is ready to contribute.  

9 hours ago, gotbeer said:

@deepdrive  Would you?  Would they?

Ducks trade the #3 overall pick + the third round Pittsburgh pick to Chicago for the #2 overall pick.

Why should the Ducks do it?  The Ducks are guaranteed to get Levshunov.  He would be the perfect fit in the Ducks lineup.  Your #1 line would be Fowler/Little Z.  Your #1a line would be Minty/Levshunov  This would also let Luneau get a full season at the Gulls, every game, instead of the in and out he got last season.  That would move Gudas to the 3rd pairing, where he might be most effective.  He is getting older, and plays a grinding game.  Towards the end of the season he was in and out with injuries because he was playing 1st and 2nd line time.  And we have 3 third round picks with a deep ass farm system.  I don't think losing the higher of the 3 picks would hurt the system at all.

Why should the Hawks do it?  Extra pick.  They may or may not go after Levshunov.  Demidov might have been their target all along, and if so, why not get the extra pick.  

I don't think you can really say on something like that. We just don't have access to the info that would make a difference. All I know about these prospects are some numbers and sparse write-ups. Character and dedication  are huge at these spots in the draft. Without that, I'm just playing fanboy.

You're right about the 3rd round pick being minor if it got you the guy you want. But, that's still a good pick. To move up one space? I really don't see it happening.

Don't you think the place to move up might be with Edmonton's pick ? If it meant getting a RHD that they want (after getting a scorer @ 3)., I could more easily Invision that.

21 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

I don't think you can really say on something like that. We just don't have access to the info that would make a difference. All I know about these prospects are some numbers and sparse write-ups. Character and dedication  are huge at these spots in the draft. Without that, I'm just playing fanboy.

You're right about the 3rd round pick being minor if it got you the guy you want. But, that's still a good pick. To move up one space? I really don't see it happening.

Don't you think the place to move up might be with Edmonton's pick ? If it meant getting a RHD that they want (after getting a scorer @ 3)., I could more easily Invision that.

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

On 5/8/2024 at 11:53 AM, eaterfan said:

I believe that only moving up counts as winning the lottery. They didn't move up this year, so they can move up again. Finishing 1 or 2 isn't counted as winning if you are in your original slot.

Lots of ways to look at it. I see it as a probability situation. The odds were more likely that we ended up fourth than 1st, 2nd or 3rd combined..  So, in that sense we won.

17 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I'm not trading any assets to move up in this draft. I'd love to acquire more and move down.

I like Levshunov the best and I think he'd be a great fit, but there's no consensus he's the second best player. There's not even consensus that he's the 3rd or 4th best player. I think so many of the guys who could go 2-12 are very close in talent and potential. I wouldn't bet on any of those guys to end up being the best of the bunch with any conviction. 

As for team fit... This team is bad and the pick will probably be at least 1 year away from making the team and maybe 2-3. A lot can change over the next 2 years. No one on this team is a sure thing high impact player. They need to improve everything. Passing on someone because Zellweger is blocking them would be like passing on the number one SS in the MLB draft because Neto is there. I'm hoping all the young guys (NHL and prospects) work out, but don't pay to target a need. The needs may be very different when the player is ready to contribute.  

I don't think you trade down from a top 3 pick and from what I've seen, Verbeek has no interest in trading down.

You're right about no consensus on the 2-12. But, is that because they're so equal in value or is it because the info the writers  (and some teams) have available to them just isn't good enough to differentiate,  Draft history has shown that there almost always is a significant difference in the prospects in the top 12. But, you have to have good enough info to be able to see it (and know how to interpret that info).

No hate on Zellweger from me. I think he's the real deal. His biggest issue is size and then only because of the greater likelihood of injury. But hey, he seems to be of the mold of Vatrano and Cogliano. They've held up pretty well.

Well, they are going through all the top 6 players, 5 since well, Celebrini.  And I'll have to say, on paper, Lindstrom is the guy.  Although, I would like to say that Lindstrom also screams out Max Jones, and Nick Ritchie.  Netfront presence, that are big guys.  And spending a #3 pick on it.  

Anaheim Ducks 2024 Draft Target: Ivan Demidov

Anaheim Ducks 2024 Draft Target: Artyom Levshunov

Anaheim Ducks 2024 Draft Target: Cayden Lindstrom

23 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Pretty fair assessment of the Ducks RFA's.

Evaluating the Anaheim Ducks Pending RFAs

Pretty much what we already came up with, don't you think ?

Silfverberg is gone.  Grouix and Meyers will probably follow. Leason and Jones are on the bubble for another year. Johnston can't be moved until we get a physical presence to take his place. Lundestrom is probably here as long as his contract price fits in. The top defensive players stay until someone better can push them out.

I'm thinking we should start our own podcast, since we know as much as most people posting.

I could have lol'ed, but I'm kind of right.

On 5/10/2024 at 5:40 AM, deepdrive said:

I don't think you trade down from a top 3 pick and from what I've seen, Verbeek has no interest in trading down.

You're right about no consensus on the 2-12. But, is that because they're so equal in value or is it because the info the writers  (and some teams) have available to them just isn't good enough to differentiate,  Draft history has shown that there almost always is a significant difference in the prospects in the top 12. But, you have to have good enough info to be able to see it (and know how to interpret that info).

No hate on Zellweger from me. I think he's the real deal. His biggest issue is size and then only because of the greater likelihood of injury. But hey, he seems to be of the mold of Vatrano and Cogliano. They've held up pretty well.

That's basically the rationale for trading down. 

I'm sure there will be a difference between prospects picked from 2-12. Some will have great careers, some will be busts, some will be fine. But without the ability to differentiate which will be which, it's better to have more chances to hit on one of the guys who will have a great career. 

I should also add, that this year is a bit of an outlier in draft history with how close all the tier 2 prospects are and the lack of consensus. That's why I don't think it's fair to treat this draft like an average draft.

I agree with you that PV probably won't trade down. I'm not sure there is a partner who can get you a second bite at the top 12 apple. But the main point of my original answer, is that it's not worth paying a premium if it's not clear that the team is likely getting the best player back in return. 

2nd para:  I agree with this outlook after the 15th overall pick. But, for the first fifteen picks I think you need to approach it like there's a winner out there the GM needs to find it. Not hitting on the first fifteen picks can usually be traced back to not having or using the info that could have been obtained properly. It's not baseball. It's closer to basketball where you can pick the right guy early in the draft.

3rd para:  I don't know.  I think the consensus is mostly sports writers and Internet people just regurgitating each other's lack of info/knowledge. I think the guys who are really good at picking will see a noticeable difference. The sportswriters/fan writers rely too much on talent because that's pretty much what they have access to. That leaves a lot of important stuff out.

4th para:  No, I'm pretty sure Verbeek won't trade down. He's not that type of risk taker. He's going to go in knowing the one,two, three guys he values most and he's going to take the one that's left. And yeah, very hard to find a trade partner and put together a trade of that type. 

At least how I see it. But, hey, I'm just a fan reading the same junk all the other fans read.

How to really not say much in an article.  lol.

What a Mitch Marner Trade to the Ducks Could Look Like

So let's play devils advocate.  So say there isn't a difference between 2 and 12.  If we can have an extension to Marner in hand for max at a reasonable rate.  Not the $10 million he's getting, because that would handcuff the Ducks long term when Z, Leo, Minty, Zell, McT need deals.  But in the $8-9 million.  

Would you, would they?

The #3 pick, Pittsburgh's third round pick, and LaCombe for Marner and the Maple Leafs first round pick.  I'm trying to take the sting out of losing the #3 pick by getting the Maple Leafs first rounder, this way if someone they want is available in picks 6-12 maybe they can offer both Toronto and Edmontons first rounders.  

Other offer is the #3 pick and Vakanainen for Marner.  

17 hours ago, gotbeer said:

How to really not say much in an article.  lol.

What a Mitch Marner Trade to the Ducks Could Look Like

So let's play devils advocate.  So say there isn't a difference between 2 and 12.  If we can have an extension to Marner in hand for max at a reasonable rate.  Not the $10 million he's getting, because that would handcuff the Ducks long term when Z, Leo, Minty, Zell, McT need deals.  But in the $8-9 million.  

Would you, would they?

The #3 pick, Pittsburgh's third round pick, and LaCombe for Marner and the Maple Leafs first round pick.  I'm trying to take the sting out of losing the #3 pick by getting the Maple Leafs first rounder, this way if someone they want is available in picks 6-12 maybe they can offer both Toronto and Edmontons first rounders.  

Other offer is the #3 pick and Vakanainen for Marner.  

Nope, don't want him. More of a reason why Toronto failed in the playoffs than Nylander or Matthews. There's some guys at 3 who will probably be better than Marner.

51 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Nope, don't want him. More of a reason why Toronto failed in the playoffs than Nylander or Matthews. There's some guys at 3 who will probably be better than Marner.

I highly doubt that. Close to 100 point players, doesn't take penalties, positive +/-, mid fifties corsi and fenwick. Only 9 players scored over 100 points last season. Only 17 over 90 points. Toronto is doing what Toronto does. Drives out skilled players, then complains that they need players like the ones they jettisoned.  They lost because their goaltending sucks.

@deepdrive  Would you?  Obviously, depends on what the injury was.  But might be a good pairing with Mintyukov.  More of a stay at home Dman to open up Minty.  Of course that means, probably a top line of Fowler and Little Z.  But since Little Z was paired with Fowler, it really made Fowler a D man first, and let Little Z handle the offense which really did make Fowler much more effective.

Hurricanes Not Expected To Re-Sign Brett Pesce, Martin Necas

Evolving Hockey projects him to land a six-year deal on the open market with a roughly $5.5MM cap hit.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/pescebr01.html

RHD, 6'3", 208 lbs, 29 YO, 13 pts, 70 gp, low penalty minutes, low 50's corsi/fenwick.