• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

HR Record

I think statistics and records based on stadiums that are inconsistent and player pools that have varied widely over the years aren't of much value. They are one of the main factors holding baseball back from meaningful changes.

The home run totals as a record mean very little to me. The individual stories behind each one of those home run totals is much more important.

Why people feel the need to hold on to one number and gloss over many drastic changes in the game, and outside the game, (air travel, laser eye surgery, etc) I don't know.

Frank "Home Run" Baker had a career high of 12 home runs and had more triples than home runs during his career.

I personally love what Willie Mays did in 1965 and George Foster also did in 1977, hitting 52 HRs each despite playing in hitting neutral parks in seasons where the pitching was pretty solid.  

No one else hit at least 50 HRs from 1962 through the early 1990s.

George Foster hit 52 in 1977.

With the timing of this thread, I thought it was about the record for homeruns given up by a pitcher and a pitching staff. I was going to say that Blanton must be honing in on that dubious mark.

Bert Blyleven holds the AL (and MLB) record for HRs allowed in a season with 50 in 1986.

The 1996 Tigers allowed 241 as a team, which is the ML record.

This year, the Angels have allowed 94 HRs as a team, tied for tenth in the Majors with the Royals and A's.

We can do this! Go Team!

Blanton can beat Blyleven's record. Go Joe!

I hate when people throw in the color aspect of baseball to nullify all achievements of the past or to somehow devalue them. 61 is where it will stay for me. :D

Get over it. Black males changed the shape of American sports forever, achievements before they were accepted are respectable, but not comparable to achievements now (and during the late 60s and above after segregation).

According to every record book I've checked, the record is 73 home runs by Barry Bonds. Again..get over it. 

Get over it. Black males changed the shape of American sports forever, achievements before they were accepted are respectable, but not comparable to achievements now (and during the late 60s and above after segregation).

According to every record book I've checked, the record is 73 home runs by Barry Bonds. Again..get over it. 

I am not sure I would go that far. Black males changes some sports like track and field. Others, not so much. (Tennis.) Rarely is it talked about how Asian athletes changed the face of sports forever, although clearly some Asian athletes do compete at the highest levels in many sports. I would say that black athletes changed baseball, though.

And I understand that. But every time someone says oh well there weren't any colored people, they make it sound as if they simply played scrubs all day, and season long. That's where my problem lies. Of course you can't compare a season over 50+years and call it the same. Bats were different, shoes, pants and a bunch  of other things that could have helped either way.  And yes that is the all time record. No one is honestly denying that. 

61 is the current record for the AL. So considering I root for an American League team, that one resonates with me just a little bit more. 

I'm fine with it being *73.  As long as there's the asterisk next to it.  It'd be more interesting to see someone legitimately hit 74, than hit 62.

And I understand that. But every time someone says oh well there weren't any colored people, they make it sound as if they simply played scrubs all day, and season long. That's where my problem lies. Of course you can't compare a season over 50+years and call it the same. Bats were different, shoes, pants and a bunch  of other things that could have helped either way.  And yes that is the all time record. No one is honestly denying that. 

61 is the current record for the AL. So considering I root for an American League team, that one resonates with me just a little bit more. 

Good point here. FWIW several people wanted Maris' record to be given an asterisk due to the fact that he achieved the record in a 162 game season, instead of a 154 game season when Ruth set the previous mark.