• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels like early results from rookie pitcher Caden Dana

TEMPE, Ariz. – Baseball’s latest Thor clone continues to drop the hammer, raising questions about just how long it might be before he can find himself on a major league roster.

With his broad shoulders and long hair flowing from under his cap, Angels right-hander Caden Dana gave up one hit over two scoreless innings against the Chicago White Sox on Sunday and had two strikeouts in his second appearance of the spring.

The outing came with Dana wearing the No. 91 on the back of his jersey. If he continues to produce similar outings, a lighter weight digit could be on the way.

“It’s just going out and pitching. It’s the same game whether it’s (minor league) ball or here,” Dana said. “They’re giving me the ball and trusting me with it so I’m going to go out there and give it all I’ve got.”

While Dana represents the future for the Angels, he was just closing out his teenage years in early December. Barely 20, it stands to reason that the former 11th round draft pick in 2022 still needs some seasoning before his time arrives.

But this is the Angels, who brought first baseman Nolan Schanuel to the major leagues last year less than three months after his final game in college at Florida Atlantic. Shortstop Zach Neto was a major leaguer less than a year after his final college game at Campbell.

“I try not to think too much. Just (take it) day by day,” Dana said. “But they’re great ballplayers and they deserve to be up there.”

The difference is that Dana was drafted out of Don Bosco Prep High School in New Jersey and has never pitched above the High-A level.

But new Angels manager Ron Washington isn’t as much concerned with track record as he is with results.

“I think what is realistic is him and where he is (in his development) when we have a need and if the organization thinks he’s the one,” Washington said. “One thing about this organization, if they have proven it, age and your experience doesn’t matter. If you’re able to get outs is what matters.”

Dana’s first spring start Sunday came after a scoreless two-inning relief appearance last Tuesday when he gave up one hit with a strikeout against the Milwaukee Brewers.

“Every time you step on the field you’re representing your name,” Dana said. “Honestly, in a big-stage moment like that, just trying to focus on one pitch at a time. If I get away from that then I’ll have a bad outing. Just stay locked in pitch by pitch.”

RUNNING MEN

A day after Chad Wallach legged out a double and scored from second base on an error, Washington was still talking about his catcher’s scamper around the bases.

“If Wallach can take an extra base, anybody on this team can take an extra base, but you have to want to and he wanted to,” Washington said with a smile Sunday, both proud of Wallach’s aggressiveness and the example he set.

Washington isn’t looking for wild risk taking, but rather calculated gambles that assist run production. The thinking isn’t too unlike the first-to-third Angels days under former manager Mike Scioscia.

“We’re just trying to push the envelope, seeing who can, who can’t, who wants to and see who does not want to,” Washington said.

And as if on cue, Angels leadoff hitter Aaron Hicks doubled in the first inning and scored on a Schanuel single, testing the arm of White Sox center fielder Rafael Ortega.

ALSO

LHP Jose Suarez, whose schedule has been lagging behind because of a bout with arm fatigue, is set to make his first Cactus League appearance Monday against the Texas Rangers in relief. … Albert Pujols, now a special assistant to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred, is expected in camp Monday to spend some time as a spring instructor. Pujols is also a new MLB Network analyst and will be a manager in the Dominican Republic winter league next season for Los Leones del Escogido. … LHP Tyler Anderson makes his second start of the spring Monday against the Rangers as he tries to recover from an outing Wednesday when he gave up two earned runs and four hits in two innings against the Colorado Rockies.

View the full article