• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Anthony Rendon Interview

I don't see him as a malcontent. I'm not going to pretend to know what is going on in the dugout / behind the scenes, but I feel like if he was a complete locker room cancer - that would be leaked out there. It would be nice if he seemed more pissed that he was always hurt, but he seems too laid back for that.

To me, he sounds like a guy who doesn't live for baseball. As a father, he sounds like a man who wants to spend a lot of time with his family and would probably be content taking his kids to gymnastics and soccer practice rather than being in Cleveland for a 3 game series. Now, he is getting paid a ton of money to be a productive baseball player so I totally get the frustration with him. 

20 hours ago, Halo in Chicago said:

I don't see him as a malcontent. I'm not going to pretend to know what is going on in the dugout / behind the scenes, but I feel like if he was a complete locker room cancer - that would be leaked out there. It would be nice if he seemed more pissed that he was always hurt, but he seems too laid back for that.

To me, he sounds like a guy who doesn't live for baseball. As a father, he sounds like a man who wants to spend a lot of time with his family and would probably be content taking his kids to gymnastics and soccer practice rather than being in Cleveland for a 3 game series. Now, he is getting paid a ton of money to be a productive baseball player so I totally get the frustration with him. 

Agreed.  Rendon should focus on the important things in life such as his kids.   I suggest that he opt out of his contract and spend more time with his family.  Then everyone will be happy.

15 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Agreed.  Rendon should focus on the important things in life such as his kids.   I suggest that he opt out of his contract and spend more time with his family.  Then everyone will be happy.

See. Finally someone who's talking some sense. 

The solution to #TonyTooBlessed is not that difficult, and I really don't feel like that's asking very much of him. 

48 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

See. Finally someone who's talking some sense. 

The solution to #TonyTooBlessed is not that difficult, and I really don't feel like that's asking very much of him. 

It’s something no one on this board would ever do if they were in his shoes

27 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Career to date he has made $178 million. I would have zero problem walking away considering all of the injuries accrued and how those will affect the rest of my life. 

I'll give you $1.78 to walk away right now.

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I am walking away from the workplace in 3 months. I could keep making great money for another 3 years but it just won't be worth it. 

Good for you.  That's awesome.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

I’ve got ten years, one month and 16 days. 

Nice to have a plan, sounds well thought out but make it flexible. Invest well, and decide if those last coupe of years will really be worth the payoff. 

I think Rendon needs to seriously consider this. He already has reached all of his MLB goals, just playing out the contract isn't moving his life forward. 

41 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Nice to have a plan, sounds well thought out but make it flexible. Invest well, and decide if those last coupe of years will really be worth the payoff. 

I think Rendon needs to seriously consider this. He already has reached all of his MLB goals, just playing out the contract isn't moving his life forward. 

Yea I’ll be set to retire in 7 years financially. The last three is just a simple goal I have to finish with 45 years with the company. If this role remains the good part of challenging then I’ll stick around. If it becomes boring or too difficult to create the change needed then I’ll bow out early. 

4 hours ago, Blarg said:

I am walking away from the workplace in 3 months. I could keep making great money for another 3 years but it just won't be worth it. 

It gets to that point. I had planned to work for about two years longer than I did, but I decided that the difference in income wasn't worth the stress. I also didn't want to work until I was physically shot and couldn't enjoy not working anymore.

5 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

It gets to that point. I had planned to work for about two years longer than I did, but I decided that the difference in income wasn't worth the stress. I also didn't want to work until I was physically shot and couldn't enjoy not working anymore.

a compelling argument came from my friend who's retiring july 31. he said that the realization that he has limited days left was huge, and he didn't want to spend any of them sitting behind a desk. i wholeheartedly agree.

7 hours ago, Tank said:

he said that the realization that he has limited days left was huge, and he didn't want to spend any of them sitting behind a desk. i wholeheartedly agree.

I've felt this way for years and I am far far from retiring age.

Know it's cliche, but time really does go by quickly, one day you look back and wonder where it all went. 

Inflation is a big factor to consider in long term planning.

I've been retired for a couple of years and we hopefully should be able to maintain our (moderately disciplined) lifestyle as long as possible. Luckily, house, car, etc. paid for but everyday prices and taxes keep rising. 

I find that I'm able to work more effectively on creative projects and hobbies with the extra time. I also do a lot more fitness routines. With a home gym I can go downstairs at any time and work out whenever I want to. 

In the distant past most pro athletes had to take everyday jobs after retiring. If they saved money some opened restaurants, bars, or stores of various types. Others traded on their reputations to get jobs. A small percentage were educated enough to get professional jobs. 

Today's pro athletes have it far better. Even an average journeyman career can bring in enough money to retire or invest in to generate solid income. Financial planners are easily accessible as well. 

I have been retired now for 8 1/2 years. I love that i am getting paid to stay home everyday. If you don't have the home paid off, don't retire yet. We had everything paid off. Now it is just utilities,food,insurance bills and taxes. Being that we have been in our house almost 42 years, we pay taxes based on a $125k home. To me, that is the biggest positive. Have had friends who spent a lot on big vacations, house remodels, etc who refinanced their homes several times. Refinancing retriggers rates, and now they pay taxes based on the new value of the home. At retirement time, they were pretty much forced to sell and move out of state because they couldn't afford to pay property taxes based on a market value around a million dollars. So a little advise to younger homeowners, NEVER REFINANCE.

5 hours ago, greginpsca said:

I have been retired now for 8 1/2 years. I love that i am getting paid to stay home everyday. If you don't have the home paid off, don't retire yet. We had everything paid off. Now it is just utilities,food,insurance bills and taxes. Being that we have been in our house almost 42 years, we pay taxes based on a $125k home. To me, that is the biggest positive. Have had friends who spent a lot on big vacations, house remodels, etc who refinanced their homes several times. Refinancing retriggers rates, and now they pay taxes based on the new value of the home. At retirement time, they were pretty much forced to sell and move out of state because they couldn't afford to pay property taxes based on a market value around a million dollars. So a little advise to younger homeowners, NEVER REFINANCE.

Good advice. We've taken a steady course that fits our lifestyle and built up a modest nest egg. Wife still has a year or two of work remaining. But since Covid she's been able to work from home (legal profession). Saves a lot of wear and tear in terms of commuting.

We've been in the same house for 18 years. Bought it new. 3200 square feet.  The basement was unfinished, but I designed a home theater room, sports collectibles/home gym room and TV/music room. Years of saving went into the process. A few  upgrades (new roof, flooring, appliances)  but spread over time.  I'm not sure exactly, but it's at least tripled in value. No plans to downsize (lived in much smaller places in the past) but knowing the equity is there if necessary is nice

We have friends  who spend double digit thousands a year on vacations, restaurants etc. But have had to take on debt to maintain their lifestyle. Their choice, but having major debt is not my approach. We still have our yearly trip to the OC and a few other smaller getaways. I did a lot of traveling in the past so don't feel the need anymore. And with pets we don't really want to be away for long stretches of time. 

Anyways, each to his or own.