• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If someone bought In N Out today and ran it into the ground within 15 years, would you give them credit for doing a wonderful job for the first 7?

Do we think the Angels had some incredible run prior to Arte?  I mean I love this team, but it wasn’t like they were a contender year in and year out, until Arte owned them. 

5 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Are you saying Arte is the one who made all those decisions? Obviously every owner needs to approve decisions, but you seem to be saying Arte has been calling the shots.

Trading for Simmons, Teixeira, and Haren ; signing Morales, Abreu, and drafting Kendrick were all great moves under Arte. We can also add lots of incredibly detrimental moves. 

No I don’t think he did. Do you think he makes every free agent decision now?  Do you think he tells Eppler or Dipoto or Minasian who to sign or trade for or draft?  Do you think Arte said, “here’s $30 million go get us some relievers”. 

9 hours ago, Stradling said:

Yes

I talked to another ex front office employee who worked with the angels under the Disney ownership then the Moreno Era 

said person then went to work with the dodgers under Frank McCourt 

arte was was unbearable to work with and wouldn’t let ANYONE DO THEIR JOBS. He’s that much of a control freak. if he could be in the dugout during games he would 

That’s 2 separate people in the baseball world that have said the angels are the worst ran organization in baseball, with first hand experiences. It’s that toxic. 

this franchise is a dumpster fire. I’ll still be here to watch it burn 

I don't know anyone in the front office and while I was hoping they'd pick up a front-line starter, I'm not bummed about missing on Snell. I find it interesting that he only hit double digit wins 2x in his career. What are the realistic odds number 3 would have been with the Angels?

25 minutes ago, Halo in Chicago said:

I don't know anyone in the front office and while I was hoping they'd pick up a front-line starter, I'm not bummed about missing on Snell. I find it interesting that he only hit double digit wins 2x in his career. What are the realistic odds number 3 would have been with the Angels?

You must really hate Patrick Sandoval (17-37 career record).

9 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

You must really hate Patrick Sandoval (17-37 career record).

I actually like him. I find him incredibly frustrating and were he not already an Angel - I wouldn't want to trade for him. I (probably stupidly) think he has the chance to be a solid 3/4 starter if he gets the mental part down and throws strikes.

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

No I don’t think he did. Do you think he makes every free agent decision now?  Do you think he tells Eppler or Dipoto or Minasian who to sign or trade for or draft?  Do you think Arte said, “here’s $30 million go get us some relievers”. 

I don't have any inside friends, but my suspicion is Arte has stepped in a few times. Pujols, Hamilton, Rendon, stopping  Rengifo to dodgers trade, and refusing to trade Ohtani would be some examples.

I asked because your language suggested Arte signed and drafted everyone. It sounds like you were more commenting on what the angels did under the ownership of Arte which makes sense.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Per year salary is more relevant to this discussion than overall contract salary.

I agree.

Boras has said he prefers shorter deals because they accelerate the climb of salaries. He's actually argued that players have hurt themselves long term by taking those longer deals.

In the case of anyone with a QO, being able to get another shot at FA is potentially a win.

Just now, Angels in 2030 said:

It's not really.  It's the total money.  The likelihood a 33 year old Snell will get another $150-190M in free agency in two years is almost zero.  Now was his time (last time) to cash in. 

If the report was accurate, the Yankees offered Snell 6/150 in January.....what are the odds that Blake Snell makes 150 million before he retires?  If the report was accurate, the Blue Jays offered Chapman 6/120 last year.  Same question.  Not Boras' best work for sure. He doesn't always read the market correctly.

4 minutes ago, Angels in 2030 said:

It's not really.  It's the total money.  The likelihood a 33 year old Snell will get another $150-190M in free agency in two years is almost zero.  Now was his time (last time) to cash in. 

Snell is a bit of an outlier.  His career has been marked by injuries and performances that could be viewed as below his talent level.  If he manages to post back to back 180IP, sub 3.00 ERA seasons he might actually see his profile rise significantly.  Look at how Carlos Rodon was able to turn his checkered past into a huge payday.  He was coming off his age 29 season while Snell would be coming off his age 31 season but the dude had nowhere near the track record Snell does.

If he has another meh season then you're probably right.

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I agree.

Boras has said he prefers shorter deals because they accelerate the climb of salaries. He's actually argued that players have hurt themselves long term by taking those longer deals.

In the case of anyone with a QO, being able to get another shot at FA is potentially a win.

I wouldn’t mind at all the shorter big money opt out deals becoming more common, as long as there wasn’t an opt out after year 1.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Snell is a bit of an outlier.  His career has been marked by injuries and performances that could be viewed as below his talent level.  If he manages to post back to back 180IP, sub 3.00 ERA seasons he might actually see his profile rise significantly.  Look at how Carlos Rodon was able to turn his checkered past into a huge payday.  He was coming off his age 29 season while Snell would be coming off his age 31 season but the dude had nowhere near the track record Snell does.

If he has another meh season then you're probably right.

That is the question.  If he didn't cash in this offseason and is so-so this season, he's going to be living on short term deals....and probably not close to 30 million per. He may even decline the opt out if he is so-so this year. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

I wouldn’t mind at all the shorter big money opt out deals becoming more common, as long as there wasn’t an opt out after year 1.

It's another pick you poison situation, IMO.  You get cost certainty with a long term deal, but you won't get stuck with an anchor on a shorter one if a guy craters.  It's one of those situations where a team is likely better off going case by case.

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They need another bat IMO, not replace or improve on one they already have.

But it’s an issue of scarcity now.  What do they need more, a starter or another bat?  I would say a starter.

2 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That is the question.  If he didn't cash in this offseason and is so-so this season, he's going to be living on short term deals....and probably not close to 30 million per. He may even decline the opt out if he is so-so this year. 

Snell is a trip.  If he simply ate more innings teams would be lining up to sign him.  Incredibly talented guy, just hard to project based on past injury history