• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

43 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

If Snell will only sign long term deal, move on then.

See what they have with the current 5 starters this season, then do whatever it takes to sign Burnes next off-season.  There’s absolutely nothing to not like there.   Durability, averaging 6 innings/start since 2021, low WHIP, high Ks/BBs ratio, grew up a Halos fan

Come on!  Don’t you realize that Arte has already botched the Burnes signing?

7 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Come on!  Don’t you realize that Arte has already botched the Burnes signing?

It would have been nice to trade for him first and then re-sign him a year later.   But did the Halos have enough to trade for him, without affecting the current team?

19 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I know people have info to the contrary and we'll probably sign him right as I post this but I just don't see us getting Snell.  

I don’t either. I think we are a safe landing spot, meaning Olney’s info is probably accurate…but, at the end of the day, I don’t think it’s us unless he just doesn’t have other legit options…🤷‍♂️

9 hours ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Saw someone on Twitter propose signing Snell then trading Sandoval to NYY for some prospect(s) which would help to makeup for the draft pick loss and I have to say I like that idea

Gonna also mention here that the report that Giants were in on Cease trade talks means they’ve almost have to be having discussions with Snell, which could explain the holdup 

That wasn't twitter (or X for that matter) it was

21 hours ago, Blarg said:

Angels trade Sandoval to the Yankees for prospects (6th) Roderick Arias (SS) and (10th) Ben Rice (C) and sign Snell. Yankees stay under the cap and get club control, Angels get two high prospects. 

4 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I know people have info to the contrary and we'll probably sign him right as I post this but I just don't see us getting Snell.  

This is kinda how I feel, too. I'm not especially optimistic. 

Snell/Boras obviously have an ultimate goal of a long term deal, but it's self-evident that they won't get one at the level they want at this point in time. So, what's the alternative? They want a deal that is effectively a one year deal but that is structured longer with opt-outs in case Snell underperforms. 

By contrast, Moreno/Perry clearly aren't going to go for a long term deal at the rate Snell wants or it would've happened already. It's not like there's loads of bidders. The problem with a short term deal is it'll be an expensive first year, plus a loss of a draft pick in a season that Arte probably (with good reason) doesn't think we'll be competitive in. And if there are opt-outs, that makes it an even worse deal for us because Arte is assuming all the risk for extremely limited gain. And at 31, I don't see any world in which Snell accepts a deal with the first opt out after two years, which would make more sense for us.

I think the leaks about Snell wanting to play for us are probably true. I think he genuinely enjoyed being on the West coast and playing in SoCal. I just don't see a deal that makes sense materializing easily without Arte bending, because it doesn't really make sense for Snell to shift course. The biggest compromise I could see from Snell is a pure one year deal with no opt-outs. 

26 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

The biggest compromise I could see from Snell is a pure one year deal with no opt-outs

Not sure that has any appeal to the Angels. I guess with an opt out deal, if he tanks, he doesn’t opt out and we keep him but that’s not good…if a pure one year deal is all he and Boras are willing to do, I don’t see why we’d agree to that. You still lose the draft pick. 

2 hours ago, DMVol said:

Not sure that has any appeal to the Angels. I guess with an opt out deal, if he tanks, he doesn’t opt out and we keep him but that’s not good…if a pure one year deal is all he and Boras are willing to do, I don’t see why we’d agree to that. You still lose the draft pick. 

Probably, but it wouldn't be the first time in recent years they did a one year deal with draft compensation attached. Syndergaard, for instance. My point is still that there's not really a deal that makes sense for both, which is probably why he hasn't signed. Bellinger made it work because he went back to the Cubs, so they lost nothing. 

16 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Probably, but it wouldn't be the first time in recent years they did a one year deal with draft compensation attached. Syndergaard, for instance. My point is still that there's not really a deal that makes sense for both, which is probably why he hasn't signed. Bellinger made it work because he went back to the Cubs, so they lost nothing. 

I'm GUESSING the thinking with Syndergaard is  there was a lot of doubt if he would be successful after his surgery. If he was fantastic, they would try to extend him. If he sucked, he would be dropped after the year. If he was kind of average, they could shop him mid-season for something more promising than a 2nd round pick. The latter is what happened and we ended up with Jadiel Sanchez and Moniak (which is better than a 2nd round pick.

The difference here (with Snell) is if he were fantastic, he won't extend the contract. However, you could still trade him mid season for more value than a 2nd round pick.

1 hour ago, Ochocinco! said:

Still just in utter awe of this off-season. 13 days away and these dudes just chilling on their couch lol Boras is such a cuck 

He’s certainly not used to this type of off-season.

Three of his players still unsigned and two others only getting 3 year deals with opt outs

9 hours ago, drpiranha said:

I'm GUESSING the thinking with Syndergaard is  there was a lot of doubt if he would be successful after his surgery. If he was fantastic, they would try to extend him. If he sucked, he would be dropped after the year. If he was kind of average, they could shop him mid-season for something more promising than a 2nd round pick. The latter is what happened and we ended up with Jadiel Sanchez and Moniak (which is better than a 2nd round pick.

The difference here (with Snell) is if he were fantastic, he won't extend the contract. However, you could still trade him mid season for more value than a 2nd round pick.

I thought we got Moniak in a trade for Marsh.