• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

58 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Ok, so how about the other things I highlighted?  He does not seem like a good fit for the Angels. 

I know you get very fixated on specific players, but it sure seems like Lopez is just a guy.  No reason for the Angels to be chasing him.

They do need to add depth at SS and many players do become available in spring. I'm still keeping an eye on that other guy. He is also out of options.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:08 PM, angelsnationtalk said:

Well shit then the coaches will get us a 90 win season with that Ron Washington attitude!!! 

JK we will be a 70 win team.

Barry Enright joined the Diamondbacks coaching staff as Brent Strom’s assistant about 2wks after Strom got the job

Take a look at what happened to Zac Gallen once those two got a hold of him as he entered his age 26 season.

Below you will find some Gallen comps from before his time with Strom/Enright

Gallen

AA Age 21
71.1 IP
13 GS
5.3 K/9
2.4 BB/9
41% GB
3.79 ERA

MLB Age 23
80 IP
15 GS
10.8 K/9
4.1 BB/9
38.9% GB
2.81 ERA

Detmers

AA Age 21
54 IP
12 GS
16.2 K/9
3.0 BB/9
36.2% GB
3.50 ERA

MLB Age 23
148.2 IP
28 GS
10.2 K/9
3.6 BB/9
36.7% GB
4.48 ERA

Sandoval 

Age 24-25 Seasons
41 GS
235.2 IP
9.4 K/9
3.7 BB/9
48.7% GB
3.17 ERA

Gallen

Age 24-25 Seasons 

35 GS
193.1 IP
10.3 K/9
3.4 BB/9
44.4% GB
3.72 ERA

20 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Moniak is a huge regression candidate and a big reason why I wanted Gurriel.

Moniak was thrust into a situation that he should not have been in when injuries struck mid-June thru July 3rd (Trout’s broken hamate day). Before the injuries he was a pure platoon player. After the injuries he started facing LHP and then tried playing thru injury.

Take a look at his stats up to 7/3/23

119 PA

8 HR

11 2B

31.1% K

.351 ISO (!)

.382 BABIP

.307/336/658

166 wRC+

The BABIP looks unsustainable, sure, but he was smoking the ball. Some of that above average BABIP was earned. The plate discipline was bad, but much more palatable than the 35% K rate he finished the year with. Given a rotation of 5 outfielders we can be sure the intention is for him to face RHP only. 

Point is, the expected regression for Mickey Moniak is being overestimated 

On 2/7/2024 at 12:08 PM, angelsnationtalk said:

Well shit then the coaches will get us a 90 win season with that Ron Washington attitude!!! 

JK we will be a 70 win team.

How many times did Haselman send a runner that had no business going home or hold up a runner that would have almost certainly scored? Not to mention the time he sent Neto that resulted in a reinjured back. You really so sure Eric Young as third base coach rather than that bozo won’t directly result in some Ws?

27 minutes ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

Moniak was thrust into a situation that he should not have been in when injuries struck mid-June thru July 3rd (Trout’s broken hamate day). Before the injuries he was a pure platoon player. After the injuries he started facing LHP and then tried playing thru injury.

119 PA

8 HR

11 2B

31.1% K

.351 ISO (!)

.382 BABIP

.307/336/658

166 wRC+

The BABIP looks unsustainable, sure, but he was smoking the ball. Some of that above average BABIP was earned. The plate discipline was bad, but much more palatable than the 35% K rate he finished the year with. Given a rotation of 5 outfielders we can be sure the intention is for him to face RHP only. 

I said regression candidate and not expected regression for a reason, I'm not really sure how to read his performance last season. 

I do think he'd be much better in a platoon, and he finished the season well after coming back from the IL.  Mostly last season was so out of line with what he'd done previously and that second half fade so pronounced that I want to see him repeat it.  The only things he excelled at last year was barreling the ball and the associated sweet spot data.  Those were good things but I personally would have liked to see some other indicators that something had clicked for him. I want for him to be the real deal.

I genuinely hope he just needed a change of scenery/fresh start, and that last year was the opening chapter of a solid career.  Lord knows the Angels could use a quality LHB.

3 hours ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

119 PA

8 HR

11 2B

31.1% K

.351 ISO (!)

.382 BABIP

.307/336/658

166 wRC+

Moniak was squaring up the ball up until they figured out he would swing at absolutely anything they threw up there.

He wont get back to squaring things up until he learns to lay off pitches two feet out of the strike zone.

Part of that blame could fall though at the feet of the Chavez Latriners ownership.

To give a total of $1.025 billion combined to one pitcher who has never pitched in MLB and to a two way guy who may never be the same on the mound after two surgeries, well that is beyond disruptive to MLB’s financial stability.

Edited by Angel Oracle

28 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Part of that blame could fall though at the feet of the Chavez Latriners ownership.

To give a total of $1.025 billion combined to one pitcher who has never pitched in MLB and to a two way guy who may never be the same on the mound after two surgeries, well that is beyond disruptive to MLB’s financial stability.

I do not blame Dodgers, Boras, players or owners. Each team has their own budget and plans as do players. Will be interesting where players end up also the price.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

4 days until pitchers and catchers report 

Thumbs up MLB owners for not caving in to Borass

Is this the latest ever that this many key FAs are still unsigned?

This happens every few years 

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Correct. If Borras thought those contacts would inflate his guys, that was his mistake. 

He’s right a lot more than’s wrong. But when he’s wrong, he tends to be stubborn about it. Would never admit he maybe should have gotten a guy signed early. He’s good but sometimes waiting doesn’t always get you the best deal…

MLB teams use similar ways to value players.  It's a crappy year for free agents outside of Ohtani which theoretically would inflate the cost of the next tier down but it hasn't.  Teams are holding fast on what they think a guy is worth.  We'll probably get the 'collusion' accusations thrown out by Boras here soon.