• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

I know this is about the Mariners, but thought I'd drop this here. I've talked to a few friends back in Seattle and they're feeling the same way about their ownership. If they don't add, they are worse off than the Angels in that they're missing a golden opportunity and window for them to succeed in the AL West with the current guys that they have locked up right now. 

The Mariners ownership should be spending, but tbh I'm not gonna feel super sorry for them when the Angels owner is even more incompetent.

You can win with a cheap owner that stays out of the way and let's the POBO/GM do their job.

You can't win with an overly-involved owner who constantly meddles and doesn't allow you to spend on infrastructure.

56 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I know it didn't go as planned but I liked last season's approach of spreading it around.  A good SP and a couple 2 fWAR guys and I'd be happy.  

It actually went as planned for awhile till injuries burned through not only the starters but the depth as well.  Then the acquired depth was vomit inducing.  I still can't get over how bad that was.  

4 minutes ago, Chuck said:

I know this is about the Mariners, but thought I'd drop this here. I've talked to a few friends back in Seattle and they're feeling the same way about their ownership. If they don't add, they are worse off than the Angels in that they're missing a golden opportunity and window for them to succeed in the AL West with the current guys that they have locked up right now. 

It absolutely kills me to say this, but I really like what Dipoto did for the Mariners after the 2018 season. They had improved from a sub-.500 team to an 89 win team. And he promptly tore it down. 
That offseason he dealt Paxton, Diaz, Cano, Segura, and others for Crawford, Kelenic, Dunn, Swanson. They were bad in 2019. But they added Caballero that summer, and in the next year, guys like France, Brash, Munoz, Trammell. Guys who are part of their team now, or were used to bring in other pieces. They were bad again in 2020, going 27-33, so not horrible. 

In the three years since they've won 90, 90, and 88.

It was more of a rebuild than I think the Angels need, but it wasn't a complete teardown. Dipoto retooled and set the team up with a young core, flexible payroll, and exchanged vet contracts for other players with more control to extend the competitive window for his young team, and it's worked out pretty well. 

To bring it back to the post above, trying to force 2024 into being a contending year screams bad idea to me, and in some ways, what's happening in Seattle is seeing how rushing/forcing a core too quick can backfire, as opposed to what Atlanta did. Toronto is a similar example compared to Seattle...their deals for Springer, Ryu, Berrios all backfired to a degree. The Angels should not shy away from improving the team this winter, but they should proceed cautiously. Currently, Zach Neto and Nolan Schanuel aren't free agents for six more seasons, until after 2029. O'Hoppe one year before that. All three have scant MLB experience, all of which have been under the specter of winning immediately for Troutani. Plunking down down for Snell or Bellinger could backfire just as Seattle and Toronto's big investments have thus far, without really pushing them any deeper all while burning up critical years of cheap, prime club control.

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

This is true. The downside though is that he only tops out around 120-130 innings in non-CY seasons. 

And 2023 was an outlier for Snell, with regards to innings/start.

Otherwise, he’s generally been around 5-5 1/3 innings per start.

Four seasons out of eight, under 5 innings/start 

Two seasons out of eight, 5 1/3 innings/start 

Two seasons out of eight, 5 2/3 innings/start 

Edited by Angel Oracle

17 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Go after younger players to build around ones you have. Let them grow together. I'm including Moniak, Adell, Silseth, Daniels, Joyce, Bachman, Canning, Detmers and first round pick this year.

Agree but it's not hard to imagine that Moreno wants a star's face to go up on a mural where Ohtani's came down.