• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels to hire Steve Karsay as bullpen coach

AngelsWin.com

Former major league pitcher Steve Karsay, who spent three years as the Milwaukee Brewers’ bullpen coach, has reportedly been hired to the same position with the Angels.

The Angels have not confirmed the hiring, which was first reported by The Athletic and MLB.com.

Karsay previously had been a coach in the Cleveland organization. He pitched parts of 11 years in the majors, up through 2006.

Karsay would join pitching coach Barry Enright in leading the Angels’ pitching staff.

He would be the eighth coach to be confirmed as a part of new manager Ron Washington’s staff, joining third base coach Eric Young Sr., first base coach Bo Porter, hitting coach Johnny Washington, offensive coordinator Tim Laker, infield coach Ryan Goins, catching coach Jerry Narron and Enright.

The Angels still don’t have a bench coach, although former manager Clint Hurdle has been reported to be a candidate.

View the full article

I really don't fully understand this narrative being pushed that the Angels bullpen is in shambles and in need of some sort of overhaul. They've got some good arms with Estevez, Soriano, Joyce, Bachman. I even like Silseth in relief. Jose Suarez was better in relief as well in the past. 

That shouldn't stop them from adding arms, but I'm not convinced the bullpen is as bad as the "25th in baseball" thing.

28 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I really don't fully understand this narrative being pushed that the Angels bullpen is in shambles and in need of some sort of overhaul. They've got some good arms with Estevez, Soriano, Joyce, Bachman. I even like Silseth in relief. Jose Suarez was better in relief as well in the past. 

That shouldn't stop them from adding arms, but I'm not convinced the bullpen is as bad as the "25th in baseball" thing.

I have very little confidence with Estevez after the way he pitched in second half. I like Andrew Wantz in this group. Bachman was hurt a lot. My concern is starters can only pitch 4 inn. If BP has to pitch 4 and 5 inn every night bullpen will be an early burn out. Need starters go 6 to 7 inn.

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Depth, plain and simple. It drops off real quick after the names you listed. There are certainly enough arms there that, if things click, they’re set. But there’s a lot of youth, injury risk, and Estevez’ poor second-half to raise alarm. 

Personally, I would get another solid dependable vet (aka $7m+ AAV guy) to help anchor things, go the Watson/Cishek cheap vet route to round 2 or even 3 spots, then let the kids rotate through the remaining spots to allow roster flexibility, mitigate burnout/injury risk, and the gradually bump the cheap vet arms as the kids settle.

I also have hope a few arms of the 20-pitcher draft emerge this year. At the time, I felt a lot of them were drafted almost purely to rush up to the bigs and round our bullpen depth out with a ton of optionable arms, but almost all of them were hit hard by injuries, ineffectiveness, or both last year, mostly around AA which had the weird ball issue. Ideally a couple guys from that crop re-establish themselves on bullpen depth this year.

Also wouldn’t mind a R5 pick to try and rebuild back some of the arms we dealt last year.

Edited by totdprods

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Estévez had a brutal last two months, Joyce had bad results and walked a ton of hitters, Bachman ended the season hurt, Silseth is going to be a SP, and Suarez missed a lot of time with an injury before coming back with reduced stuff.

So, yeah, I feel confident saying the bullpen is in shambles.

Can it be better? Of course. But it looks pretty ugly on paper.

22 minutes ago, BTH said:

Estévez had a brutal last two months, Joyce had bad results and walked a ton of hitters, Bachman ended the season hurt, Silseth is going to be a SP, and Suarez missed a lot of time with an injury before coming back with reduced stuff.

So, yeah, I feel confident saying the bullpen is in shambles.

Can it be better? Of course. But it looks pretty ugly on paper.

Can’t help but be super concerned about Joyce and Bachman’s ‘23 injuries coming back or getting worse too. 

I think Silseth is best in relief long-term still, but dude looked fantastic in his last few starts and no way do I pull him from that now…need to keep him and Daniel stretched out at AAA so we have some depth there.