• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: New manager Ron Washington promises Angels’ focus will be to ‘run the West down’

AngelsWin.com

• New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, puts on his jersey...

New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, puts on his jersey as Angels general manager Perry Minasian congratulates him during a press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington answers questions from reporters during...

New Angels manager Ron Washington answers questions from reporters during his introductory press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, and General Manager Perry...

New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, and General Manager Perry Minasian pose for a photo following Washington’s introductory press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington, right, answers questions from reporters...

New Angels manager Ron Washington, right, answers questions from reporters during his introductory press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, shares a laugh with...

New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, shares a laugh with General Manager Perry Minasian during a press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• Members of the media, guests and others gather in the...

Members of the media, guests and others gather in the Home Plate Club at Angel Stadium on Wednesday for a press conference introducing Ron Washington, center, as the team’s new manager. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, and General Manager Perry...

New Angels manager Ron Washington, left, and General Manager Perry Minasian take their seats during a press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington claps at the conclusion of...

New Angels manager Ron Washington claps at the conclusion of his introductory press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington, right, does an interview with...

New Angels manager Ron Washington, right, does an interview with Bally Sports West broadcasters following his introductory press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

• New Angels manager Ron Washington answers questions from reporters during...

New Angels manager Ron Washington answers questions from reporters during his introductory press conference on Wednesday at Angel Stadium. (Photo by Leonard Ortiz, Orange County Register/SCNG)

of

Expand

ANAHEIM — On the day when he was introduced as a major league manager for the second time, Ron Washington referred back to the situation he inherited the first time.

When the Texas Rangers hired Washington before the 2007 season, the Angels were, in Washington’s words, “the big dog” in the American League West, coming off a World Series title in 2002 and division titles in 2004 and 2005.

“And what happened?” Washington said with a grin. “We ran them down.”

Washington’s Rangers won the division in 2010 and 2011, each time going to the World Series. Now, his mission is to take the Angels on a similar path, overcoming the teams that won the last two World Series, the Rangers and the Houston Astros.

“Once we get things together and we get these guys together in spring training and start to work, our whole focus is going to be to run the West down,” said Washington, who replaces Phil Nevin, who wasn’t re-signed after the Angels completed their eighth consecutive losing year and their ninth straight non-playoff season. “And you can take that to the bank and deposit it.”

That drew rousing applause from the Angels employees in the room and certainly from many fans watching the televised introduction.

It had been a week since the Angels announced that they hired the 71-year-old Washington to be their next manager, but Wednesday was the first day for Washington to talk publicly about the job or for General Manager Perry Minasian to explain why he made the choice he did.

One of the reasons, Minasian said, was just the sort of energy and enthusiasm that Washington demonstrated with his “take that to the bank” proclamation.

Minasian has known Washington since the Rangers hired him in 2007, when Minasian was working as an advance scout and manager assistant. They were together again from 2018-20 with the Atlanta Braves, with Minasian working as an assistant GM and Washington as the third base coach.

Minasian said he was comfortable with the due diligence the Angels performed on Washington’s background. Washington admitted in 2010 that he failed a 2009 drug test for cocaine, and he resigned from the Rangers to address an “off-the-field personal matter” in September 2014.

Those issues aside, Washington is widely respected throughout the game.

“I’ve gotten numerous calls already from people that have played for him or people that know him, not only excited for him and his opportunity but wouldn’t mind joining the party over here,” Minasian said.

Minasian, who inked Washington to a two-year contract with an option, has compared the manager/GM relationship to a marriage, requiring constant communication and collaboration. He said Washington was the right man to deal with those above him and the players below him.

“Nobody has more respect from players than Ron Washington, and I think you’ve just experienced it,” Minasian said after Washington got the crowd worked up during his introductory remarks. “When he talks, people listen. He’s got a way of connecting and giving people confidence. And I think he’s gonna get the most out of our group. I’m really excited to work with him and somebody I’m going to learn from.”

Washington is inheriting an Angels team that has had a losing record for each of the last eight years, including a 73-89 record in 2023.

“I see potential, but I also see guys that have to make certain that baseball is their priority,” Washington said.

Asked to elaborate on that point, he said he wasn’t suggesting “that guys are not doing what they’re supposed to do,” but that he simply wanted to make sure everyone’s “commitment, attitude and effort” are positive.

“We’re not going to talk about it,” Washington said. “It’s nothing we’re going to be preaching for the outside world to hear. We’re gonna be preaching it for the guys inside the clubhouse to hear. Then we’re going to go out there in a belief that we’re going to create, and we’re going to turn it into action. There’s no doubt about that. I’ve always been a part of winning. I don’t know anything else but winning. And we just got to get the attitude and the commitment and the effort going in the right direction.”

Washington also said he plans to talk to center fielder Mike Trout and third baseman Anthony Rendon immediately. The two star players have each endured disappointing seasons lately, mostly because of injuries.

“Those are the two huge leaders here,” Washington said. “And I do want them to lead. They won’t be able to lead by themselves but I want them to take the lead because all the younger players we’ve got around here look up to those guys. I want them to lead.”

As for those young players, Washington said in his initial assessment of the team he’s mostly focused on the pitchers.

“I’m watching the pitching right now,” Washington said, “trying to get a pitching coach in here that I think can escalate these guys’ growth.”

The pitchers figure to benefit from improved defense, and Washington called himself “the best in the business” when it comes to defense.

“That’s not patting myself on the back,” he said. “That’s a fact.”

Washington said he would continue to get involved with instructing players, which is necessary because players reach the big leagues so quickly these days. He said he would not interfere with new infield coach Ryan Goins, who will be in his first coaching job after spending parts of eight seasons as a big league player.

The only other coaching position that’s settled is third base coach Eric Young Jr. Washington confirmed that he’s selected Bo Porter as his first base coach, but the Angels haven’t made that hiring official yet.

Washington also said that he doesn’t foresee any issues in working with the front office. It’s well established that all major league teams now have analytics groups that provide daily guidance for how to run the team.

Although Washington definitively said “I am writing the lineup, I can tell you that right now,” he said he would welcome input from the front office.

“We’re not going to have an antagonistic relationship,” Washington said. “I believe in conversations. I have no problem with any information that they bring down to us. And if I do have a problem with it, we’re gonna close the door and we’re gonna talk about it. We’re not going to have an antagonistic relationship. I guarantee you that.”

Relief pitcher usage is one of the most common ways in which front offices typically come up with a pregame plan.

“I’ve seen out there, a lot of managers and their organizations have already scripted how the game is going to go and don’t seem to get off that script,” Washington said. “I’m just gonna watch the game, from the first pitch. And me and my bench coach and my pitching coach, we’re gonna put our experience together, and from watching the game from the first pitch, we’re going to take the information that we have, and we’re gonna apply it that way.”

View the full article