• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: (9/21/23 10am start) Angels @ Rays: Canning on the mound, Cron at DH

jsnpritchett

17 minutes ago, BTH said:

whispers: *Estevez closes the game out if Neto cleanly fields that grounder, which he should’ve fielded*

Neto probably should have gotten to it, but honestly, I get a little tired of the excuses when stuff like this happens.  Obviously Sandoval is the worst victim and offender in these circumstances.  But it's on the pitcher to just get the outs, too.  Sure, it means you're throwing more pitches when the defense lets you down--but you're not required to go into an absolute meltdown and shit the bed.  Your job is still to get outs.  So sick of the excuses.

12 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Neto probably should have gotten to it, but honestly, I get a little tired of the excuses when stuff like this happens.  Obviously Sandoval is the worst victim and offender in these circumstances.  But it's on the pitcher to just get the outs, too.  Sure, it means you're throwing more pitches when the defense lets you down--but you're not required to go into an absolute meltdown and shit the bed.  Your job is still to get outs.  So sick of the excuses.

I’m not excusing Estevez here.

I’m just not excusing Neto for playing bad defense. And he also didn’t get the runner at third home with less than 2 outs.

Everyone was blaming Estevez, and I was simply pointing out that Neto messed up too.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

I don't know if he ran out of gas or opposing teams figured him out but second half Estevez is not a very good pitcher....

Ran out of gas as a closer? First, we have not won enough games where he was needed to save a good portion of those hypothetical wins in order to be at the point of exhaustion. Also, he typically only pitches one inning, and not every game. I doubt he is out of gas. He may be full of gas for all I know, but he is certainly not out of it. His peripherals just have not been that strong all season. I think it was just a matter of time until it caught up with him.

The team definitely should be looking for a new closer. If he stays healthy, I think Joyce could fit the bill. He throws high-octane heat consistently and has wicked movement on his pitches and has a couple of good secondary pitches. That is the stuff of a closer.