• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

On track for the worst run differential in a month in team history

The pitching has completely dropped off the side of a cliff. Can't win if you can't pitch. Catching has something to do with it as well so thats something the Angels have to look into improving for next year. O'hoppe has been around for a lot of this collapse this month so he will need to be part of the self-evaluation. It isn't the most exciting thing to watch in baseball but its the pervasive theme of the last ten years. The Angels have not been an upper echelon pitching organization. They don't develop nor acquire talent consistently in both starters and relief pitchers and the results in wins and losses show.  

16 hours ago, CaliAngel said:

It's almost like all those acquisitions before the deadline made the team worse. 

I've missed most of the last month with things at home. But have been thinking about this the past few days.

Fans and it seemed like the team were pretty pumped st the Giolito move. And then bringing in Cron / Grichuk. Not that they were huge adds, but that the team wasn't going to wing it with in house guys like Adams and Fletcher 

And it just absolutely blew up.

And haven't seen it mentioned a lot on here (but I've been busy so maybe I missed it), but Estevez went from dominance to shit in like 2 starts. That was a huge blow to the team.

5 hours ago, T-angel said:

The pitching has completely dropped off the side of a cliff. Can't win if you can't pitch. Catching has something to do with it as well so thats something the Angels have to look into improving for next year. O'hoppe has been around for a lot of this collapse this month so he will need to be part of the self-evaluation. It isn't the most exciting thing to watch in baseball but its the pervasive theme of the last ten years. The Angels have not been an upper echelon pitching organization. They don't develop nor acquire talent consistently in both starters and relief pitchers and the results in wins and losses show.  

FWIW, and I've mentioned this before, but Mathis is adored by MLB. And it makes sense why Sosh was in his corner, when it seemed so stupid.

45 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

FWIW, and I've mentioned this before, but Mathis is adored by MLB. And it makes sense why Sosh was in his corner, when it seemed so stupid.

I wouldnt mind if the Angels hired Mathis as Catching instructor/coach in the offseason. Couldn't hurt, no where to go but up when you are pretty much at ground zero. 

6 hours ago, T-angel said:

O'hoppe has been around for a lot of this collapse this month so he will need to be part of the self-evaluation.

O'Hoppe has been around for all of 9 games. The clusterfuck that is the pitching staff and it's collapse started after he went on the IL, not when he came back. 

Some of you guys need to get a grip on reality. 

33 minutes ago, Blarg said:

O'Hoppe has been around for all of 9 games. The clusterfuck that is the pitching staff and it's collapse started after he went on the IL, not when he came back. 

Some of you guys need to get a grip on reality. 

9 games is two weeks worth of games. Thats a lot. And the collapse started right after the trade deadline. So he's been a part of 50%. Some of you guys really need to stop being so defensive on certain players and get a grip on realty. 

36 minutes ago, T-angel said:

9 games is two weeks worth of games. Thats a lot. And the collapse started right after the trade deadline. So he's been a part of 50%. Some of you guys really need to stop being so defensive on certain players and get a grip on realty. 

What? Two weeks, 9 games, is a spit in the bucket in a 6 month season. But given his relatively few games from start and current, he has the lowest catcher's era of the three with the lowest OPS against. O'Hoppe is not the problem. 

Sandoval's ERA is up over a run from last season. Detmers' ERA is up over a run from last season. Anderson's is up over 3 runs from last season. Suarez was absolutely horrible except for one start. Nobody except maybe Anderson's family thought he was going to be anywhere near as good as he was last year, but I think most people thought he could be around the 4.00 mark. Sandoval and Detmers regressed badly this season. I did not expect that at all. I've never liked Suarez, but I thought he could be a decent number 6 starter and stay around a 4.00 ERA also. 

As of today, starters and relievers ERA's are identical at 4.68 this season. Starters have gone from 6th best last season at 3.67 to 22nd. Relievers have gone from 18th best at 3.95 to 23rd.

2 hours ago, T-angel said:

LOL

9 games is three 3 game series.  Not even close to two weeks.

Unless you are talking about the three games before the ASB and the six games right after the ASB, then yes it is two weeks.

3 hours ago, gurn67 said:

Sandoval's ERA is up over a run from last season. Detmers' ERA is up over a run from last season. Anderson's is up over 3 runs from last season. Suarez was absolutely horrible except for one start. Nobody except maybe Anderson's family thought he was going to be anywhere near as good as he was last year, but I think most people thought he could be around the 4.00 mark. Sandoval and Detmers regressed badly this season. I did not expect that at all. I've never liked Suarez, but I thought he could be a decent number 6 starter and stay around a 4.00 ERA also. 

As of today, starters and relievers ERA's are identical at 4.68 this season. Starters have gone from 6th best last season at 3.67 to 22nd. Relievers have gone from 18th best at 3.95 to 23rd.

Yeah, it's been a pretty freaking huge letdown after what they did last year. Last year they quietly pitched very well but couldn't hit for shit.

This year we finally had an offense, and then we had to Angel it.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

jeff fletcher is laughing at all of you who have completely forgotten the article he wrote about the problems with the philosophy the analytics guys have been using this season, and how it's been a total flop.

but keep going on about how it's the fault of the catcher over a 9-game stretch.

They need to bring Lackey and Weaver back as coaches. And Napoli.

Throw out all that smart boy college boy crap. Just kill some Coors Light before a start, and if your not hitting your spots, hit the batter and start a fight.

Then take down some strange at Goat Hill after.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

jeff fletcher is laughing at all of you who have completely forgotten the article he wrote about the problems with the philosophy the analytics guys have been using this season, and how it's been a total flop.

but keep going on about how it's the fault of the catcher over a 9-game stretch.

I haven't forgtten. It's one reason why Minasian is gonna go after the season. People yell at me when I bring up Bullpen Matrix, but after reading Maddon's book....Maddon has always seemed honest. The same bullpen problems plague Nevin that plagued Maddon. Everyone wants Wise's head, but no one believes that Tam and Minasian are having major input on in game pitching decisions. 

Analytics do work, if they're used properly. They are not being used properly with the Angels. It's a fundamental system flaw. 

Perry and Phil are both gone. As is Tam, Montgomery, and a few other coaches. Maybe even Carpino as well... (retire). and if Arte sells, I wouldn't be surprised. 

Someone like Theo Epstein is going to be brought in to right the ship. Look at what Dombrowski did in Philly.... It's what they need.

36 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I haven't forgtten. It's one reason why Minasian is gonna go after the season. People yell at me when I bring up Bullpen Matrix, but after reading Maddon's book....Maddon has always seemed honest. The same bullpen problems plague Nevin that plagued Maddon. Everyone wants Wise's head, but no one believes that Tam and Minasian are having major input on in game pitching decisions. 

Analytics do work, if they're used properly. They are not being used properly with the Angels. It's a fundamental system flaw. 

Perry and Phil are both gone. As is Tam, Montgomery, and a few other coaches. Maybe even Carpino as well... (retire). and if Arte sells, I wouldn't be surprised. 

Someone like Theo Epstein is going to be brought in to right the ship. Look at what Dombrowski did in Philly.... It's what they need.

Epstein would be a dream come true. Especially if he was made Club President with absolute authority over the organization. Then, he could rebuild this organization from the ground up. Something it desperately needs. I'm long past the idea that they are "just a player or two away". Something that I seriously doubt Arte would agree with. So, I'm sure nothing like that will ever happen unless there is a change in the majority owner.

23 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

They need to bring Lackey and Weaver back as coaches.

Yes.

And Napoli.

No.

Throw out all that smart boy college boy crap.

Yes. 

Just kill some Coors Light before a start, and if your not hitting your spots, hit the batter and start a fight.

Uhhhh...no?

Then take down some strange at Goat Hill after.

Ye---wait, what?

On 8/31/2023 at 12:22 PM, Hubs said:

No way Carpino is gone. He’s staying as long as Arte is owner.

And I’d be absolutely stunned if someone like Theo is brought in.

Execs like him want total autonomy, and Arte will never give that.