• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani tears UCL, won't pitch again this season

mmc

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Once elbow is repaired and he’s far enough along in rehab, RF should be fine once he advances to RF length throws during rehab.    On average, there are what, 5 throws per game from RF?

Just thinking runners might be more inclined to challenge his arm playing RF than LF.

2 hours ago, James said:

I would think he would need much more information to make such a decision/comment on his future. 

IMO, a non-pitching Ohtani is worth as much as Aaron Judge.  Probably more with the Japanese $ he brings in.  The value of having him on your pitching staff (during the regular season) is offset by the fact that you now have to include your 6th-best guy in the rotation.  He only averages 5.7 innings pitched per start, and the team is minus one bullpen guy because of the extra starter.  

He'll get at least $40 mil per year. Probably more if he signs for less than Judge's 9 years.

Puzzling why Ohtani wants to continue to play instead of seeking treatment for the injury.

Is he going to be on some weird Pujols-like quest to hit a HR total?

The only thing weirder would be if he insisted on pitching.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Talked to a guy who is an orthopedic surgeon today. He thinks it's likely that Ohtani is done as a pitcher, but he says it's not impossible he comes back to pitch. I imagine he probably moves to the outfield after he recovers from TJ if necessary. I think he'd be pretty good out there if he starts playing out there regularly and that brings more value than just DHing. 

A friend of mine was playing Xbox with the ortho who worked on Verlander and he disagrees with your ortho.

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Puzzling why Ohtani wants to continue to play instead of seeking treatment for the injury.

Not puzzling at all.  Ohtani likes / is passionate about playing baseball.  It is his life.  He's a baller.  Plain and simple.

28 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

First base is the easiest position to play. With his size and speed he could cover a lot of ground. And stretch further than many others. Not a lot of throwing involved other than to second or home occasionally. And it's a position of need for the Angels. 

Schanuel with his .580 obp disagrees. He is the Angels first baseman next season and all the way to free agency. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

He lives baseball.

It wouldn't be surprising though if he ultimately gets surgery before the season over.

14 hours ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

This is great news for his future.  Angels can shell out the cash for a hurt guy to retain him. 

this could scare suitors away. 

I'm sure that it does. Teams that might have been tempted to send an armored car to his house now have to be rethinking it. This is his second significant arm injury, and he is about to hit 30. It's pretty certain that he won't pitch in 2024. A big part of the appeal is the two way factor, which would be missing at the front end, presumably his most productive remaining year.

45 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Schanuel with his .580 obp disagrees. He is the Angels first baseman next season and all the way to free agency. 

Obligatory "small sample size" aside (Schanuel could be a legit .400 OBP guy), I wonder how the pup would do in LF or RF. I personally like the idea of Shohei playing in the field - I have a feeling that he'd do better that way. If he can't come back and pitch or play LF/RF, maybe him at 1B and Schanuel in the OF.