• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: (7/25/23 3:30 Pacific) Angels @ Tigers: Canning on the mound, Neto scratched from lineup

The bottom third of the Rangers rotation has kind of cratered.  Dunning's been a 5.00 ERA type guy his last 10 starts, at one point he was looking like some weird melding of Greg Maddox and Jered Weaver -- they are going to need to add to their rotation. Thing is no team in the AL West is better positioned to add talent at the deadline.

Gonna be a fun week coming up.

Ok, AW scoring pros.

Looking at the box score.

Detroit scored 4 runs in the 9th. How is it that none of those runs are earned runs?

I see that one batter reached by a throwing error but what about the other three?

Estevez got the win but wouldn't that also be a blown save?

29 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ok, AW scoring pros.

Detroit scored 4 runs in the 9th. How is it that none of those runs are earned runs?

I see that one batter reached by a throwing error but what about the other three?

I didn’t get to see the game after the 4th inning @Jayso I only know what I read, but to answer your last question, since none of the runs were earned, it doesn’t go down as a blown save.  The theory is, if the plays would have been made, the runs/runners would never have been on base to start.

I heard through reading, the defense wasn’t too great in the 9th.

30 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ok, AW scoring pros.

Angels were leading by 4 when he entered the game, so that's not a save situation (3 or fewer when starting an inning).

Regarding the runs, Baez reached on an error and he later scored, so that's automatically unearned. The other 3 runs all scored with two outs. When that occurs after an error has happened earlier in an inning, all runs scored with two outs are unearned, since the inning would have been over had the team not made the error earlier in the inning. 

13 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

The bottom third of the Rangers rotation has kind of cratered.  Dunning's been a 5.00 ERA type guy his last 10 starts, at one point he was looking like some weird melding of Greg Maddox and Jered Weaver -- they are going to need to add to their rotation. Thing is no team in the AL West is better positioned to add talent at the deadline.

Gonna be a fun week coming up.

Dunno if it was mentioned, but they’re skipping Eovaldi’s next start to give him a break because his velocity was way down last start. 

Texas has a favorable schedule but they’ve started cracking a bit. They don’t play a lot of games against a lot of the best teams, but also not a lot against really bad teams. They’re playing a lot of games against teams like Philly and San Fran and Minnesota and Seattle. Houston conversely plays a lot of good teams and AL East teams still. I think they’re in a real strong position, but some vulnerability is being exposed.

48 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

I didn’t get to see the game after the 4th inning @Jayso I only know what I read, but to answer your last question, since none of the runs were earned, it doesn’t go down as a blown save.  The theory is, if the plays would have been made, the runs/runners would never have been on base to start.

I heard through reading, the defense wasn’t too great in the 9th.

Not quite correct on the non-blown save.  It wasn't a save situation when he entered the game, so what happened in the inning was irrelevant in terms of save/blown save.

31 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Not quite correct on the non-blown save.  It wasn't a save situation when he entered the game, so what happened in the inning was irrelevant in terms of save/blown save.

Thanks Jason.  As I mentioned, I didn’t get to see the game after the 4th inning, and didn’t check the box score.  Your response was spot on.

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Moniak made an error in centerfield that became a ground rule double scoring two unearned runs. That should have been the end of the inning/game. Estevez wasn't sharp but Rengifo and Moniak combined in giving the Tigers a 5 out inning. 

Moniak wasn't charged with an error.

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

The other 3 runs all scored with two outs. When that occurs after an error has happened earlier in an inning, all runs scored with two outs are unearned, since the inning would have been over had the team not made the error earlier in the inning. 

I didn't know about this rule. Thanks.