• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nevin's bullpen management

I don't criticize Nevin much. I think that's an easy scapegoat for fans.

Sure it is frustrating when the team is trailing in a game by such as 2 runs in the 6th and you're hoping for a chance to come back. At the end of the day, the probability of coming back is actually very low in the big picture.

What if the Angels have a tight lead in the next two games and a couple of the top arms, say Soriano or Devenski pitched tonight. Well, obviously, they won't be rested. 

You could say that these relievers can tough it out and throw multiple days in a row. Regardless, the game is managed differently now. A guy could be throwing a no-no through 7 with 110 pitches and looking fine. Still gets pulled because of pitch count. There are hard limits on certain things with pitchers now. All the TJ surgeries that have happened in baseball the last decade.

Would have liked to see Nevin go with a guy like Bachman at least though, instead of Mederos there.

The biggest issue I have tonight is he basically ran Bachman into the ground on a night when it appeared like he wanted to stay away from him.

Now you're messing up your present and future.

I'll be upset at bad managerial decisions, but I have a real issue when you start jeopardizing a player's health. And particularly the health of a young player who is important to your future.

You have to throw someone out there when starters only complete five innings. My issue wasn't that Nevin put in whatever sequence of relievers he did. Mine is he never let Barria even start the 6th inning which now insured he was going to have to use 3-4 relievers. 

1 minute ago, Blarg said:

You have to throw someone out there when starters only complete five innings. My issue wasn't that Nevin put in whatever sequence of relievers he did. Mine is he never let Barria even start the 6th inning which now insured he was going to have to use 3-4 relievers. 

I completely agree, but that’s todays baseball and not Nevin. You saw it and complained about it the other day when they pulled the pitcher facing the Angels. For whatever reason, which I can only assume comes from analytics, they prefer having relievers start a fresh inning. 

Barria had thrown 87 pitches through 5 innings, despite only allowing the 5 hits and 0 BBs.

His high for the season is 93 pitches, and so I could see him being taken out after 5 innings.

The injuries to Moore, Joyce, and Quijada, along with Herget’s ineffectiveness have played havoc on the pen management.

Soriano, Joyce, and Mederos all have good potential, but this season needs to be one of acclimating to MLB pitching.   Might as well see what Yovan and Murphy can do up here too, in preparation for 2024.

Edited by Angel Oracle