• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Position Players Pitching

Revad

why can’t we all just get along?  Just play the game?  A new rule related to position players pitching is under consideration by MLB and the Players Union.  They want to limit how often it happens.  “…the problem actually (is) becoming worse, with 32 instances of position players pitching in 2017 but 132 times last year.

“The change would see the limits stretched so that a team that’s winning a game would have to be ahead by 10 runs, whereas the trailing team would have to be down by at least eight.”

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/mlb-mlbpa-discussing-rule-change-regarding-position-players-pitching.html

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

Just shut the fuck up and let the guys play a game. Otherwise you are setting up forfeits rather than finishing nine innings. Or are they outlawing a forfeit as well? 

I don’t think it’s outlawed but the last forfeit was 25 years ago.  Kind of a quick, fun read.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29614065/25-years-ago-tonight-mlb-had-last-forfeit-los-angeles-dodgers-st-louis-cardinals-game

I understand the rule. Watching position players lob balls over the plate sucks. I like it when they actually try though. I remember being surprised a couple times watching position players pitch. Wade Boggs knuckleball striking out Todd Greene. Chris Davis and Russell Martin looked pretty good the few times they pitched, they probably could have been relief pitchers if they worked on it.

9 hours ago, Revad said:

why can’t we all just get along?  Just play the game?  A new rule related to position players pitching is under consideration by MLB and the Players Union.  They want to limit how often it happens.  “…the problem actually (is) becoming worse, with 32 instances of position players pitching in 2017 but 132 times last year.

“The change would see the limits stretched so that a team that’s winning a game would have to be ahead by 10 runs, whereas the trailing team would have to be down by at least eight.”

In other words, force a team that is getting hammered to keep burning pitchers in a game that is hopelessly lost, Yeah, that's much better than asking a shortstop to come in and try to get three outs because we're behind 15-0.

Once again, addressing an issue that really isn't one.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

In lopsided games, the fans for the team that's behind have already checked out.  For the team that's ahead, it's actually fun.  One of the major highlights of the entire season last year was watching Rendon hr left handed.  

Stop effing with the game.  I hate the 3 batter rule.  I hate the baserunner in extras and now this.  And now this.  none of those modernize the game and create fan interest.  

18 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

In lopsided games, the fans for the team that's behind have already checked out.  For the team that's ahead, it's actually fun.

I remember Mark Grace pitching for the Diamondbacks, and he was imitating the mannerisms of one of their relief pitchers. The guys on the bench were rolling.

While most of the time position players come in during low leverage situations, not every position player is some novelty gimmick, like Albert Pujols and Yadier Molina were for the Cards.  Some guys can actually pitch and bring the heat.

Charlie Culberson threw pitches above 90 mph during a few stints as a position player relief pitcher.  Luis Gonzalez (SF) threw in the upper 80’s last year in his appearance, coupled with a nice 42 mph change up.

Point being, who gives a shit who is pitching in a game that is a blow out?  Some guys can actually pitch.

Edited by PattyD22