• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Renfroe will be 32 next year, Adell 24. Renfroe will probably require something like 3/$45M or more, while Adell is going to be inexpensive for years to come. I'd rather Perry go cheap on Adell/Moniak/Adams/Cabbage and spend that money elsewhere.

Of course a lot depends upon how Adell/Moniak develop.

It's a little presumptuous of me, but taking a rough guess, I'm thinking they'll have 30 million coming off the books when Ohtani signs elsewhere, with the necessary pieces to fill this opening internally. And with Trout and Rendon collectively covering 2/3 of the the AB's at DH, I figure that even after extending Renfroe (your estimate of 3/45 sounds completely reasonable), there would still be room for semi-regular playing time for someone like Adell or Mickey, depending on how they progress this year. Another factor, unfortunate as it is, could be Ward. He's gotta figure it out otherwise that's another potential opening. 

And on the pitching front, even after signing Renfroe, they'd still have enough left over to either on another Tyler Anderson type starter, or could look to fill it internally with Silseth, Rod, Bush or Bachman. 

24 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Even after they used him in a leverage spot today?

You’re probably right, but I’d hate to see it.

no one else has options that I can see except Wantz and I would be surprised if they send him down and keep Chase around.  

Also don't think they're quite ready to DFA Loup or Tepera.  

I'd be surprised if they DFA Devenski that quick.  Bunch of his statcast stuff was better than it's been for him in awhile.  

18 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

no one else has options that I can see except Wantz and I would be surprised if they send him down and keep Chase around.  

I'd be surprised if they DFA Devenski that quick.  Bunch of his statcast stuff was better than it's been for him in awhile.  

I'd DFA Barria or Loup, but Silseth is the obvious candidate.

28 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'd DFA Barria or Loup, but Silseth is the obvious candidate.

I didn't pick up on it at the time but it was thoroughly ill conceived to have two long men with no options in a pen.   I can maybe kinda see it to start the year but now those late and critical moments are becoming more important than innings workload that they may have saved.  

Maybe you could get some C depth for Barria.  I am for DFAing Loup, Tepera and moving on from Barria.  I'd bring back up Herget, keep Silseth, and add one more optionable arm.  Then just get the shuttle going between those three and a couple others including Canning if needed. 

It's probably a shade premature, but if you've got to make a trade, then do it.   

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's a little presumptuous of me, but taking a rough guess, I'm thinking they'll have 30 million coming off the books when Ohtani signs elsewhere, with the necessary pieces to fill this opening internally. And with Trout and Rendon collectively covering 2/3 of the the AB's at DH, I figure that even after extending Renfroe (your estimate of 3/45 sounds completely reasonable), there would still be room for semi-regular playing time for someone like Adell or Mickey, depending on how they progress this year. Another factor, unfortunate as it is, could be Ward. He's gotta figure it out otherwise that's another potential opening. 

And on the pitching front, even after signing Renfroe, they'd still have enough left over to either on another Tyler Anderson type starter, or could look to fill it internally with Silseth, Rod, Bush or Bachman. 

It has not been the Angels' MO, but I wuld issue a QO to Renfroe, but would limit any multi-year offer to something like 2 yr/30 million. I view 2024 as somewhat of a transition year where we assess whether Adell/Moniak are long-term pieces for the outfield. 

10 hours ago, Trendon said:

Even after they used him in a leverage spot today?

You’re probably right, but I’d hate to see it.

He was used in a leverage spot, but against the bottom part of the order.  I think Silseth will get optioned when Tepera is ready.  It would not be my choice, but I think they will err on the side of trying to keep as many arms as possible, although I'd just prefer they move on from Tepera at this point TBH.

6 hours ago, oater said:

It has not been the Angels' MO, but I wuld issue a QO to Renfroe, but would limit any multi-year offer to something like 2 yr/30 million. I view 2024 as somewhat of a transition year where we assess whether Adell/Moniak are long-term pieces for the outfield. 

I agree.  I don't see this team signing Renfroe to a long-term contract.  I get the impression that Perry will ultimately shy away from long-term deals.  Anderson's 3 year deal already looks rather questionable based on early results.

I think if Ohtani does indeed move on, which is my guess too unfortunately, I think Perry will ultimately just try to spread the money around on depth, to try to ensure we have as much depth as possible.  If you peer at the fWARs of this team, while some players haven't performed as well as we would have hoped, there aren't too many players in the negative fWAR territory for now.  That's a stark difference to last year, when we had many, many sub-replacement hitters getting lots of at bats.  That's very solid roster building.

12 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

Loup needs to go, only owed some $6-7 million plus the $2 million buyout option.

Not worth it to keep him to use that money, when he hasn’t gotten the job done.

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

He was used in a leverage spot, but against the bottom part of the order.  I think Silseth will get optioned when Tepera is ready.  It would not be my choice, but I think they will err on the side of trying to keep as many arms as possible, although I'd just prefer they move on from Tepera at this point TBH.

They need to have a short leash with Tepera once he returns.

Small sample size, but he only had a 7.7% K% and 13.3% Whiff% in the games he pitched this season. And his BB% was also 7.7%.

If he doesn’t show any improvement at getting strikeouts or whiffs, they gotta cut bait quickly.

13 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Or the Angels could just use Davidson more and DFA someone who isn’t very good.

He’s been great out of the pen this season

You're just looking at his ERA. Which admittedly is good.

His first appearance, in the Angels 13-1 victory at Oakland, 4 innings, zero ER. Good appearance in a blowout. 

Next game he blew to the Nationals, got the loss. Tie game when he came in, allowed two runs. Next game he pitched to one batter to finish the 8th in a 7-9 defeat. Then in the rainout Patriot's Day Game, he pitched 3.1 innings after a delay and did ok. Ohtani had allowed 1 run in the first two innings, then Davidson pitched into the 6th and allowed one run. Good appearance in a win.  Then he pitched in a blowout loss to NY, Then he pitched in a loss against Oakland.

He's pitched 6.1 innings of scoreless ball against the A's and 8.2 innings against everyone else, with a 4.39 ERA.

He's not really ever used in high leverage situations, and he has been passed on the starter depth chart by Canning.

I'm not saying he's been bad, just mediocre, with a good ERA and FIP. Just not having options, hurts the team, if he's a low leverage guy out of the pen. Having him on the team means Loup and Tepera are the 7th inning guys, instead of the 6th inning guys. 

If they could trade him for a similar reliever with an option, from a team who needs a back end starter... it would be a better fit for both clubs.

15 minutes ago, Hubs said:

You're just looking at his ERA. Which admittedly is good.

I’m not. His FIP and xFIP are good too.

He’s getting more strikeouts and walking way less hitters.

But if you want to break it down game-by-game like you did:

• 4/1- 4 scoreless vs. OAK to finish a blowout.

• 4/10- The first run he gave up, Drury threw to 2B instead of home with the catcher running at 3B and no chance of a double play with Abrams batting. The second run he gave up, the runner scored from 2B on a groundout because Drury wasn’t paying attention. His line says he gave up 2 runs in 3 IP, but he should’ve given up 1 max.

• 4/15- Came in to record an out after Tepera was injured.

• 4/17- 3.1 IP, 1 R coming in after a rain delay and got critical innings to get the game to the back-end of the pen.

• 4/20-2 IP, 1 R in a blowout. Meh.

• 4/24- 2.1 scoreless, which held the score and allowed the team to get back into the game.