• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Trevor Bauer?

You know I’m desperate for pitching, I remind you guys every year, and basically whenever I remember to.  I think some team is going to get him cheap.  He’s a bit of a dick but was right about the sticky substances stuff.  I don’t he’s he’s the greatest talent but he figured out how to pitch.  Possibly on his own.  Driveline stuff? Definitely useful, but the timing is wrong.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

He has a no trade clause to AL teams. 

He does.  I think he had that no trade clause put in when there weren’t DHs in the NL though, so that might be why he has a NTC to AL teams. He might waive it if a good team actually wants him.

That said, I would still be surprised if someone actually trades for him.

From the article:

"The Times reached out to 16 front-office executives, most of them team presidents and general managers, to see if they had any interest in signing Bauer, who went 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 starts with the Dodgers in 2021 but hasn’t pitched in a professional game in 19 months.

Of the 10 who responded, seven were a hard “no,” one said, “I doubt it,” and two declined to comment altogether, with one of those executives saying, “I’m not touching that topic.”

But that doesn’t necessarily mean MLB has seen the last of Bauer, who has an 83-69 career record and 3.79 ERA in 10 big league seasons and won his Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

“He’s so affordable, I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody does sign him and weathers the storm for spring training and the first two weeks of the season and then hopes it kind of dies down,” said one GM, who was granted anonymity to speak freely about the situation.

“Maybe it’s not spring training [that Bauer signs], maybe it’s May 1 or June 1, maybe it’s more strategically timed for a team to get out of spring training and avoid the early noise, but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t play again.”

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

From the article:

"The Times reached out to 16 front-office executives, most of them team presidents and general managers, to see if they had any interest in signing Bauer, who went 8-5 with a 2.59 ERA in 17 starts with the Dodgers in 2021 but hasn’t pitched in a professional game in 19 months.

Of the 10 who responded, seven were a hard “no,” one said, “I doubt it,” and two declined to comment altogether, with one of those executives saying, “I’m not touching that topic.”

But that doesn’t necessarily mean MLB has seen the last of Bauer, who has an 83-69 career record and 3.79 ERA in 10 big league seasons and won his Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in the pandemic-shortened 2020 season.

“He’s so affordable, I wouldn’t be surprised if somebody does sign him and weathers the storm for spring training and the first two weeks of the season and then hopes it kind of dies down,” said one GM, who was granted anonymity to speak freely about the situation.

“Maybe it’s not spring training [that Bauer signs], maybe it’s May 1 or June 1, maybe it’s more strategically timed for a team to get out of spring training and avoid the early noise, but I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t play again.”

Come spring training or the first month of the season, and that ace or #2 pitcher throws out his elbow, especially if it's on a team that thought it had a good chance to make the playoffs.  The fanbase of that team will probably get amnesia.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to the trade deadline when a team makes the move.  

I wonder, after the trade deadline, can a team sign him and he'd be eligible for the postseason?  @Jeff Fletcher

3 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Come spring training or the first month of the season, and that ace or #2 pitcher throws out his elbow, especially if it's on a team that thought it had a good chance to make the playoffs.  The fanbase of that team will probably get amnesia.  I also wouldn't be surprised if it's closer to the trade deadline when a team makes the move.  

I wonder, after the trade deadline, can a team sign him and he'd be eligible for the postseason?  @Jeff Fletcher

Anyone who is in an organization on Aug. 31 is eligible for the postseason.