• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

In your mind, who is the Angels #1 prospect?

mmc

In your mind, who is the Angels #1 prospect?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. In your mind, who is the Angels #1 prospect?

• Logan O'Hoppe
    • Zach Neto
    • Sam Bachman
    • Edgar Quero
    • Other
    • Too close to call

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Rating prospects seems rather pointless to me. Seems like that is just us possibly creating unrealistic expectations which will lead to more frustration and disappointment. I'll reserve judgement until they show what they got at the ML level 

Then I would recommend staying out of threads asking you to rate a prospect.  

Im a little surprised.  The Trash Pandas look good.  Stacked even.  Only O'Hoppe is top 100?  

Think there's any bias out there because the Angels haven't produced much over the last decade?  

Detmers was ranked high but moved so fast.  Now?   Damn.   

Sandoval was never ranked high, was he?

I'm not sold on Suarez, but he might have been underrated, too.

Ranking prospects is tough.  Casey Kotchman, Dallas McPherson, Jeff Mathis, Howie Kendrick and Erick Aybar, anyone?   Brandon Wood.  Adell and Marsh.

Also, Hank Conger was once in O'Hoppe territory.

Have fun, scouts.

12 hours ago, Stradling said:

I’d go O-Hoppe, Neto, Quero, Bush then Bachman.  I think Bachman has better stuff than Bush, but I like Bush’s chances of sustained performance better.  

Where do you rate Joyce?  He can throw the hardest of anyone in the organization.  Or is the command not there yet?

3 hours ago, tomsred said:

Where do you rate Joyce?  He can throw the hardest of anyone in the organization.  Or is the command not there yet?

Probably after Bachman because I think there’s a much better chance Bachman will be a starter than Joyce, although they both could end up as relievers. I don’t know anything about Guzman which is why he isn’t on my list. 

I'm going to say O'Hoppe, not because I've seen or evaluated him, but because everyone else says so, and nearly as importantly, because we *need* him to be good - we need a good/great catcher going forward.

I just saw mlb pumping their updated top 100 prospects - O'Hoppe was the only Angel on there - https://www.mlb.com/prospects/top100/

The depressing part is the Dodgers have "7". in the top 100.  

A quick look says only Houston, Atlanta, Mariners, and White Sox and Angels have only a single prospect - that's the thing about averages, this isn't Lake Woebegone - someone has to be "below-average", and this *is* the Angels we're talking about ...

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

Probably after Bachman because I think there’s a much better chance Bachman will be a starter than Joyce, although they both could end up as relievers. I don’t know anything about Guzman which is why he isn’t on my list. 

There is also Vera and Paris, couple of more shortstops, they seem like light hitters.  Might be trade bait.  I hope we get to see some of these guys in September, just for a look anyway.

On 8/16/2022 at 1:37 PM, mmc said:

Wanted to get everyone's thoughts on this, because it seemed for awhile, we had a consensus #1 in the organization, but now it feels like there's multiple contenders.  Who in your mind is our #1?

He is way way way too far away from MLB to be considered number one but Nelson Rada is doing extremely well as a true 16 year old in the DSL..

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/nelson-rada-703185?stats=career-r-hitting-milb

7 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He is way way way too far away from MLB to be considered number one but Nelson Rada is doing extremely well as a true 16 year old in the DSL..

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/nelson-rada-703185?stats=career-r-hitting-milb

Crazy stat:

Rada has exactly 24 rbis, BBs, Ks, SBs.

He actually seems to have a good idea of the strike zone, especially for a 16 year-old.

Looks to be a base stealing guy.

Despite the .910 OPS so far, likely stays in the DSL through 2023, and then stateside at age 18 so that he has more time to prepare for stateside play?

Edited by Angel Oracle

On the subject of recent signees in the DSL, 17 year-old Randy DeJesus has also put up solid numbers.

.829 OPS, 13 doubles, a triple, and 7 HRs, 20 BBs, 45 Ks, and a robust 43 rbis in only some 204 PAs

Rada is the better athlete and seemingly more polished of the two at the plate, and DeJesus is a run producer with more power.

Nice to have both of them doing well at a young age in the DSL.