• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's better - A Star and a Scrub or two Good Players?

8 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

How much does the 6 WAR player cost? Are the 2, 3 WAR players cheaper? Does that 6 WAR star allow the team to get better players or does his contract restrict what the owners budget is and therefore make it more difficult to make the roster better?

let's assume the combined cost is the same.  

20 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

I don't know.  Tell me why you think that matter if you'd like.  

I think a balanced lineup is best, generally. There are always exceptions, but a bunch of guys where the whole is better than the sum of their parts.

That being said, there isn't a magic formula.

It's a tough question to answer, a lot depends of where your organization is at development wise at this point.  Generally if you have a good pipeline and have solid healthy players at most positions, then a 6 WAR player could make a big difference.  If your pipeline is poor, and you have many holes, then generally 3 2.0 WAR players would be better.  How healthy your players can stay plays a big role as well.  

The Angels are in the latter position.  Their big 3 (Ohtani, Trout, and Rendon) can't pull the load for the remainder of the team, essentially they are pulling them down.  There are several problems, too many veterans who are not even 2.0 WAR players, poor minor league development (the pipeline), poor organizational plan and evaluation techniques, injuries hurt to some degree as well.  We are kind of the inverse of the Dodgers, not that they are perfect.  I would say the Dodgers are not efficient, they are wildly outspending the Angels to help create such a wide comparison gap.  Same with the Yankees.  Both the Yankees and Dodgers have much better baseball operations departments than the Angels, and better young player development.  Arte is trying to emulate them, but he is not spreading the investment wide enough or high enough.