• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels in the Outfield (2022 Version)

Chuck

On 4/25/2022 at 9:03 AM, Chuckster70 said:

FWIW, this wasn't a post to compare our current outfielders to GA, Salmon, Erstad and Edmonds...but to point out that this is the first time we've had production of this caliber in the outfield and from our own farmhands to boot.

Although I get an Edmonds vibe from Marsh.

On 4/25/2022 at 9:24 AM, Angelsjunky said:

Ignoring context, sure. But are you saying that Adell and Ward should platoon? What is your solution?

I personally like the fact that there four outfielders who (arguably) should be starters. Maybe it becomes clear that one of the three (not including Trout) is significantly worse than the other two, but that will be sorted out in time. But it is a good problem to have, like the old saying "There's no such thing as too much starting pitching."

If that occurs, then the Angels either reduce one of them to a 4th outfielder role, or have a nice trade chip. But I think we need to get much deeper into the seasons, maybe to the point of getting all three about 150-200 PA or so to really assess where they're at.

Or have Ward be 2022’s answer to Figgy?

Have him play LF/RF (90 starts), 3B (10 starts), 1B (20 starts), and DH (15 starts)?   That’s 135 games, assuming good health.

Trout - 150 games

Marsh - 140 games

Adell - 110 games

That does take away games from Duffy and Mayfield though.

Pleasant problem to have 

Edited by Angel Oracle

17 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Or have Ward be 2022’s answer to Figgy?

Have him play LF/RF (90 starts), 3B (10 starts), 1B (20 starts), and DH (15 starts)?   That’s 135 games, assuming good health.

Trout - 150 games

Marsh - 140 games

Adell - 110 games

That does take away games from Duffy and Mayfield though.

Pleasant problem to have 

I think something like that will end up happening, although I'm not sure Ward will get any playing time at 3B, and I don't see him getting 15 starts at DH. I assume Ohtani will only start 145-150 games at DH (and SP), but those 10-15 other starts will be distributed throughout the lineup.

Right now there are 145 games left, so 435 starts in the OF. If you project Trout to start 130 of those games, that leaves 305 for the other three. Add in 10 starts at DH and maybe 10 starts at 1B/3B for Ward, that's 325 starts, or 108 starts each. Then add in about 30 games pinch-hitting and running, and you've got all three playing an average of about 118 of the remaining 145 games, or 81%.

I'm guessing that Maddon wants to get all three into 90% of the remaining games, and that inevitable injury will facilitate that for two of them. Meaning, inevitable injuries to one or two of the four outfielders will open up more playing time for the other two or three. We could see the four outfielders end up with something like 140, 125, 120, and 100 games started, plus another 5-15 games via pinch-hitting, DH, and maybe 1B/3B.

The point being, it will probably work itself out. If no one gets injured, then Trout still plays in 145-150 games, and the other three anywhere between 120-140 games. If all four are healthy a month from now, maybe he starts platooning and pinch-hitting more within games. 

Again, a good problem to have. And it might even improve their numbers through all getting plenty of rest days.