• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Archie Bradley (1 year, $3.75 million), DFA Packy Naughton (Naughton claimed by STL)

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I wouldn't call him mediocre. Career 114 ERA+ and 3.73 FIP. 

He's just a typical reliever: fickle as hell. He walks too many guys and his K rate is inconsistent as fuck. Seems he could be successful here. 

It's fine. I'll take it.

He's at his best when he's inducing worm burners.   Dude throws a really heavy FB, almost Percy-like in that respect.  Not sure what the story was last year but he seemed to give up more HRs than someone inducing as many GBs as he was.  May have been that park in Philly, dunno..  but it was an odd year for him.

3 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

But.... aren't centripetals, by definition, also peripherals? You cannot be moving toward the center if you are already there. 

Drunk Acid Trip GIF by Meow Wolf

If you keep going north, you eventually go south. If you keep going south, you eventually go north. You can go east or west indefinitely and will never reach the other.

Happy Half Baked GIF

50 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's at his best when he's inducing worm burners.   Dude throws a really heavy FB, almost Percy-like in that respect.  Not sure what the story was last year but he seemed to give up more HRs than someone inducing as many GBs as he was.  May have been that park in Philly, dunno..  but it was an odd year for him.

Think I read that he'd maybe backed off his four-seam a bit and was playing more with a change-up? Which def. could be an indicator to less GB and more HR.

11 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Also Ol' Roger Lodge seems to be implying as best he can that there's more bullpen help on the way, for what it's worth.

On Twitter?  I can’t imagine he is pumped up about more bullpen help.  There is only one great arm left and we aren’t signing Jansen.  If we did and he could handle the 8th inning as effectively as he handles the 9th inning then that would be a shut down pen.  

If Roger is pumped about cars in the parking lot then the only thing in my mind that makes sense is Boras car is in the lot along with Perry’s or Arte’s.  

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

On Twitter?  I can’t imagine he is pumped up about more bullpen help.  There is only one great arm left and we aren’t signing Jansen.  If we did and he could handle the 8th inning as effectively as he handles the 9th inning then that would be a shut down pen.  

If Roger is pumped about cars in the parking lot then the only thing in my mind that makes sense is Boras car is in the lot along with Perry’s or Arte’s.  

Remember, he made that exact tweet earlier in the offseason. I can't find it (because I didn't look for it) but he did tweet it.

It's just like Gubi's tweets.

I like it. Archie was pitching with ailments last year, but before the injuries, the fastball velocity was trending back toward the 96-97 range when he was most effective. I think being at less than full strength caused him to be in 93-95 range which made him less effective, so the increased sinker usage was likely intentional and necessary. 

With health, I think he can be absolutely dominant in the late innings because of the velocity and movement plus mixing in more sinkers as he's gotten a better feel for it. At 3.75 million, that's a gamble worth taking.

And it seems relatively low risk. Because let's say the velocity decrease is permanent due to age and usage, fine, he still showed to be solid relying more on the sinker. Or if his arm blows up, he's still a better investment than Cody Allen and Sean Burnett. 

I think the likely outcome here is somewhere in the middle. Hell be better than he was just year, but not at his peak level in 2017. I'm thinking something closer to 2019, which was a solid k-rate and a three and a half ERA. Nothing spectacular, but an adequate contributor in the 6th and 7th. 

52 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Roger could've heard they were re-signing Bedrosian or Salas to a ST invite and he'd probably be pumping that up. 

Ho ho, Roger the Lodger strikes again!

Honestly, that pre-lockout car bullshit makes me think there was a chance the Angels really were hot on Scherzer and came a lot closer to signing him than was reported.

Edited by totdprods

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Ho ho, Roger the Lodger strikes again!

Honestly, that pre-lockout car bullshit makes me think there was a chance the Angels really were hot on Scherzer and came a lot closer to signing him than was reported.

I’m glad they didn’t sign him tbh.  Gimme Ohtani.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I was wrong. 

12 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Almost 34 mil in AAV so far on the pen....  Iglesias, Loup, Tep on multi year deals.   Can't remember the last time they did that.... Mid 2000s???

They also have a shit ton of guys with options.

Makes me kinda nervous because spending on bullpens rarely works out.