• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What was the worst season for you as an Angels fan?

Torridd

For myself, I can’t say that the “gut punch” seasons listed above were the worst since they were entertaining up to a certain point. The worst are the unforgettable seasons where the team just didn’t play well due to injuries or poor coaching and talent acquisitions. Those are the long seasons where I can’t wait to watch football and don’t even check box scores past June. I’d say the ‘99 team because other than Vaughn, Salmon, GA and Verlarde it was not fun to watch. If it wasn’t for Maddon, the W-L record might have been worse.

When was it, back in May, or June when the Angels had the worst ERA in the league?

@Inside Pitch and others were saying, "look at the FIP, it's bad luck"

Then that became a whole thing, Angels pitchers are having bad luck.

Maddon setting the defense wrong, etc. was the reason for the high ERA.

They're pitching better than the numbers show!

Stuff like that makes an awful season like this fun.

LOSS of Ryan in Free Agency! His replacement Bruce Kison went down, Frost went down. Knapp was ineffective.

Also, everyone and their brother went down with a broken foot! By fouling balls off their in-step! We traded for Dave Skaggs he had a huge 1st game and I think he broke his foot the next day. We ended up with Tom Donahue & Stan Cliburn behind the plate.

I think the only 3 who were healthy all season was Carew, Grich and Lansford.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

When was it, back in May, or June when the Angels had the worst ERA in the league?

@Inside Pitch and others were saying, "look at the FIP, it's bad luck"

Then that became a whole thing, Angels pitchers are having bad luck.

Maddon setting the defense wrong, etc. was the reason for the high ERA.

They're pitching better than the numbers show!

Stuff like that makes an awful season like this fun.

I believe my position may have suffered in "translation." Lol...

I was more of the camp that the pitchers were unlucky due to bad defense and that it might a temporary situation or a false read, kind of like how "clutch" hitting can be all over the place ...  But "bad luck" doesn't drag on forever and I was extremely skeptical it was that simple.  Ultimately that led to my watching games while tracking the hitter/pitcher tendencies at baseball savant and well...  I started catching shit for calling out the dugout and defending the pitchers as a result.  

My position all season has been that the defense has dragged the pitching down and that its been avoidable.

For me, this has been one of the most difficult seasons to endure as a fan.  Having access to data and seeing mistakes made in real time with predictable results has left me not caring more often than not.  When you see them willfully making choices then talking up excuses it's even worse, at least for me.  It's the whole don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining thing... 

The Trout/Rendon injuries have hurt, but unless certain things change this team will continue to fail and it won't be due to a general lack of talent.  Reality is that I've found myself paying less attention this year than at any time since I was busy whoring in college and even then I'd always check the results first thing in the AM.  Not even Shoehei's amazing season has been able to keep my interest and that's never been a thing for me.

People say the want the team to be smarter, I don't think they lack information or insight, they have both they just seemingly choose to ignore it all and press on with their BS.

They correctly identified the defense as the issue last winter and turned to Suzuki, and Fowler to help turn that around.  They recognized the need to address the bullpen and cleaned house there.... then brought in a bunch of guys who brought "different looks" because team _____ had success with it... Meanwhile they ignored the differences in actual results between the guys they brought in and the teams having success with that. It was kind of pathetic that two of the better RP options all year long were two guys who were roster cuts on cut down day.

I am happy to see they have brought up guys to try to get a look at next year.  But then you have Mayfield getting an extended look despite his sub .300 OBP, and I can't help but think if the guy filling out the lineup card is cool with that then its only a matter of time before Javy Baez is an overpriced mistake.

Yes, I'm down on the team despite being very high on the team's actual potential.  I believe they are talented enough. I believe the organization is the healthiest it's been talent wise.  But we are two seasons in and they are still talking about "culture" and "looks", and pointless tripe that would have you ignore actual results and that is pretty deflating.

36 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I was more of the camp that the pitchers were unlucky due to bad defense and that it might a temporary situation or a false read, kind of like how "clutch" hitting can be all over the place ...  But "bad luck" doesn't drag on forever and I was extremely skeptical it was that simple.  Ultimately that led to my watching games while tracking the hitter/pitcher tendencies at baseball savant and well...  I started catching shit for calling out the dugout and defending the pitchers as a result.  

My position all season has been that the defense has dragged the pitching down and that its been avoidable.

For me, this has been one of the most difficult seasons to endure as a fan.  Having access to data and seeing mistakes made in real time with predictable results has left me not caring more often than not.  When you see them willfully making choices then talking up excuses it's even worse, at least for me.  It's the whole don't piss on my leg and tell me its raining thing... 

The Trout/Rendon injuries have hurt, but unless certain things change this team will continue to fail and it won't be due to a general lack of talent.  Reality is that I've found myself paying less attention this year than at any time since I was busy whoring in college and even then I'd always check the results first thing in the AM.  Not even Shoehei's amazing season has been able to keep my interest and that's never been a thing for me.

People say the want the team to be smarter, I don't think they lack information or insight, they have both they just seemingly choose to ignore it all and press on with their BS.

They correctly identified the defense as the issue last winter and turned to Suzuki, and Fowler to help turn that around.  They recognized the need to address the bullpen and cleaned house there.... then brought in a bunch of guys who brought "different looks" because team _____ had success with it... Meanwhile they ignored the differences in actual results between the guys they brought in and the teams having success with that. It was kind of pathetic that two of the better RP options all year long were two guys who were roster cuts on cut down day.

I am happy to see they have brought up guys to try to get a look at next year.  But then you have Mayfield getting an extended look despite his sub .300 OBP, and I can't help but think if the guy filling out the lineup card is cool with that then its only a matter of time before Javy Baez is an overpriced mistake.

Yes, I'm down on the team despite being very high on the team's actual potential.  I believe they are talented enough. I believe the organization is the healthiest it's been talent wise.  But we are two seasons in and they are still talking about "culture" and "looks", and pointless tripe that would have you ignore actual results and that is pretty deflating.

Solid points and I have the same feelings IP.

This season with Ohtani should have me excited. But, I see him chasing stats since the All Star break. Everything with the defensive alignments, lack of catchers setting up and a few of the relievers not executing their pitches correctly or not knowing the situation or what they were trying to do has just axed me out this season. 

I've been to 5-6 games this year. The last 3 I've been to have been exciting! Maybe, it's the Bulleit Bourbon, or watching Marsh & Adell start to have some confidence. 

23 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I guess you guys are just different from me because I will take all the heartbreak of '86 and '95 over the snooze fest that has been the last few years. Last year was easily the worst season in franchise history from my perspective. Disappointing team, boring games, never competitive, no excitement, just a real waste of time. In '95 I nearly cried, but hey, at least I felt something.

95 really was disappointing!

I can't get disappointed when we have a great season and lose in a heartbreak fashion in the playoffs.  

However 95 looked like a guarantee division winner than the Disarcina injury.

Edited by stormngt

4 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup, I hate to say it but I really don't see this team turning it around any time soon. They are content with selling the fans on a handful of good stories instead of winning.

12 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yup, I hate to say it but I really don't see this team turning it around any time soon. They are content with selling the fans on a handful of good stories instead of winning.

My only argument to that is Rendon.  He isn’t some feel good story.  He doesn’t put any butts in seats.  He was just a really good player at one of our positions of needs. And the cost was high. Arte is committed to winning he just isn’t good at it and probably has an ego about how to do it. 

I don’t know.  They all sort of blend together since 2014.  I find the more plainly dog shit teams less frustrating than the teams like this one.  They probably could have done a couple of things differently over the off-season and the season would look better.  Of course they had all the injuries but still.  The clubs management sucks.  Who knows when they ever get it together and figure something out.  Maybe next year.  Hopefully next year.  Or maybe not.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

My only argument to that is Rendon.  He isn’t some feel good story.  He doesn’t put any butts in seats.  He was just a really good player at one of our positions of needs. And the cost was high. Arte is committed to winning he just isn’t good at it and probably has an ego about how to do it. 

Rendon is a good player, he's hispanic and Arte put him up on billboards. We needed someone to take over for Pujols from a marketing perspective. If the concern was winning we'd see investment in different areas.

28 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Rendon is a good player, he's hispanic and Arte put him up on billboards. We needed someone to take over for Pujols from a marketing perspective. If the concern was winning we'd see investment in different areas.

No. That’s an absolute reach.  He’s more Texan than Hispanic. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Rendon isn't hispanic?

Rendon, speaks with a Texan accent which makes sense considering he was born in Houston and went to school in Texas, went to Rice University which is also in Texas.  So if Arte was trying to reach the Texan fan base, he could have done that.  But to assume Hispanics simply look at a last name and attach themselves to that person is simply not true.  

The idea of Arte signing players based on their ethnicity to boost attendance is funny.

You want more fans in the seats? Start winning. 

The stadium was packed after the 2002 season a d during the year right after when were winning.

This other "marketing" thing about ethnicity is a fan made myth.

Hard to choose between 1986 and 1995.  The only time I ever stopped following was like the last week or so of the 1995 season and, as mentioned, at least 1986 ended with a division championship (though I couldn't bring myself to watch a recap of the season or read/watch anything about those '86 playoff games until after they won it in '02), it was just the playoffs that were disappointing.

On 9/4/2021 at 1:51 PM, True Grich said:

The idea of Arte signing players based on their ethnicity to boost attendance is funny.

You want more fans in the seats? Start winning. 

The stadium was packed after the 2002 season a d during the year right after when were winning.

This other "marketing" thing about ethnicity is a fan made myth.

It might not be solely about ethnicity but I would contend that a lot of Arte's motivation for signing various guys extends beyond their ability to be good as baseball more than for most.  Rendon is probably one of the least marketable players he's signed off on but bear in mind that Rendon had just come off a being a playoff monster in 2019.  I think to say that Arte typically spends on the spotlight guy is actually pretty fair.  That it's less about winning games than maybe it should be.  

And the bolded statement is something I would actually remind Arte of.  Spend on the 'sexy' guy and then fill the rest of the roster out with a bunch of leftovers.  Don't get me wrong.  The spending is great and all but it actually ends up being the most frustrating part.  A misuse of resources.  

Arte should own an NBA team.  Go get your 2 or 3 really good players if you've got the scratch for it and you really don't need to develop guys.  I agree that he probably wants to win but he's going about it poorly and letting his ego blind him to reality.  Hence the reason why it seems they keep trying the same thing even though it's not really working.  

On 9/3/2021 at 4:32 PM, Inside Pitch said:

one or two really smart guys can't beat the game by themselves anymore.  No matter how smart or savvy you think you are, you're not seeing something novel.  And it doesn't matter if the rules change to make the game more fun to watch.  There's still gonna be shit tons of data where the collective from every aspect of the franchise are going to have to collaborate and be on the same page.  

If you truly are the smartest guy in the room then you're smart enough to know that you don't know everything and you need more than just one or two other smart people to make something work.  For baseball in particular this is true both on and off the field.  

I bet most of us would have a hard time naming one guy or gal in the front office or even a single coach for the rays.  But we sure as hell know that that franchise is on their way to a 100 win season.  And it's not because of one or two or even three guys in that org.  

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

one or two really smart guys can't beat the game by themselves anymore.  No matter how smart or savvy you think you are, you're not seeing something novel.  And it doesn't matter if the rules change to make the game more fun to watch.  There's still gonna be shit tons of data where the collective from every aspect of the franchise are going to have to collaborate and be on the same page.  

If you truly are the smartest guy in the room then you're smart enough to know that you don't know everything and you need more than just one or two other smart people to make something work.  For baseball in particular this is true both on and off the field.  

Agree 100%....  Unfortunately, one guy thinking he's smarter than everyone else can be problematic.  I'm hoping next year with Minasian and his staff being much more familiar with the talent/system we see more of that collective work.

I kinda hope Minasian flushes the entire coaching staff and builds from scratch a team that is based on solid baseball fundamentals. I doubt Arte is going to green light that but I also don't see supplying Maddon with more talent is going to somehow override his "creative" lineups and in game decisions. We are probably stuck with one more season of Joe holding the team back from consistency. 

34 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I kinda hope Minasian flushes the entire coaching staff and builds from scratch a team that is based on solid baseball fundamentals. I doubt Arte is going to green light that but I also don't see supplying Maddon with more talent is going to somehow override his "creative" lineups and in game decisions. We are probably stuck with one more season of Joe holding the team back from consistency. 

I think this team will cycle through one if not two more GMs before Maddon is kicked to the curb.