• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tell me Big Poopy isn't juiced.

You've got three options:

1) Ortiz is juiced, therefore a complete moron given the likelihood of getting caught these days (possible but unlikely)

2) Ortiz is juiced and secretly wants to be sent home and gain notoriety (very unlikely, otherwise he'd just retire)

3) Ortiz is a damn good hitter

I tend to believe the third option. As some have pointed out, while uncommon it isn't unheard for great players to remain great, or have great seasons, in their late 30s. During the height of "Bondsgate" I used to mention that Hank Aaron had his highest 5-year HR streak from age 35-39, just like Bonds.

As for Pujols, I personally think - and have thought, but haven't wanted to admit it - that he's actually a few years older than his list age, maybe 35 or 36. It will be interesting to see how he finishes out this year and starts next, because if he continues to have a poor year and starts slow next year I think the fit is really going to hit the shan for Pujols. We all knew this contract would get ugly, but most of us thought in the second half - but it has looked bad from day one of last year. What a travesty.

Still hoping rumors of Pujols being too proud to continue playing like this are true. Even if his last 5 seasons involved a buyout for say 1/3 of his contract, that's still some $90 million total freed up over those 5 seasons 2017-2021, from which they can then pay Trout and Trumbo.

OPS no higher than .839 when with the Twins.  

Gets to Boston, and his OPS rises from 961 to 1.066.  But being a bandbox, understandbable.

Then goes through a 2 year drop in OPS.  His slugging went from a high of .621 to a .507 to a .421, then started to rise again at 34 years old to .529, .554, .611 and .623.  

Something just doesn't seem right.  

He's just good.  Theoretically, an argument can be made that when he took 'roids, he developed the skills to be the hitter he is today.  I think he found his swing by maximizing his swing while on 'roids and developed good swinging habits that he has retained ever since.  With or without the juice.

You've got three options:

1) Ortiz is juiced, therefore a complete moron given the likelihood of getting caught these days (possible but unlikely)

2) Ortiz is juiced and secretly wants to be sent home and gain notoriety (very unlikely, otherwise he'd just retire)

3) Ortiz is a damn good hitter

I tend to believe the third option. As some have pointed out, while uncommon it isn't unheard for great players to remain great, or have great seasons, in their late 30s. During the height of "Bondsgate" I used to mention that Hank Aaron had his highest 5-year HR streak from age 35-39, just like Bonds.

As for Pujols, I personally think - and have thought, but haven't wanted to admit it - that he's actually a few years older than his list age, maybe 35 or 36. It will be interesting to see how he finishes out this year and starts next, because if he continues to have a poor year and starts slow next year I think the fit is really going to hit the shan for Pujols. We all knew this contract would get ugly, but most of us thought in the second half - but it has looked bad from day one of last year. What a travesty.

There could be a fourth option - the league knows about it and looks the other way. Has a Boston player been suspended for steroids yet? I know there has been accusations that the whole team was juicing atone point.

Watching Ortiz's at bat just now, I think some of his success is also the result of some home cookin' from the umpires over the years.  If it's a borderline pitch, Ortiz is going to get the call.  The umps give him the edge.  What should have been an 0-2 count against Ortiz was turned into a more hitter friendly 1-1.  Blanton, being a marginal pitcher at best, throws a fastball down the middle next pitch.  A pitch he wouldn't have thrown on an 0-2 count.  Ortiz was looking for it an crushed it.

This has happened to Ortiz countless times while playing in Fenway.  Advantage:  Ortiz.

JB Shuck could have hit a hr on that pitch.  It was a bad call by ianetta regardless of the count. 

Agreed.  But my point was that a fastball down the middle wouldn't have been thrown if it were 0-2.  Not that Blanton would be capable of throwing a well-located pitch in any case.