• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels regulars lose slugfest against Indians

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-8.jpg

Angels pitcher Andrew Heaney throws to the plate during the first inning of Monday’s Cactus League game against the Cleveland Indians in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball.jpg

Cleveland Indians’ Delino DeShields (0) breaks up a double play hit into by teammate Jake Bauers as he is forced out by Los Angeles Angels’ Andrelton Simmons during the third inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Sound
    The gallery will resume inseconds
  • Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-1.jpg

Cleveland Indians’ Yu Chang (2) drops a pop fly hit by Los Angeles Angels’ Brian Goodwin for an error as Jake Bauers reaches for the ball during the second inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-4-1.jpg

The Angels’ Brian Goodwin hits against the Cleveland Indians during the second inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-11.jpg

The Angels’ Justin Upton hits against the Cleveland Indians during the second inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-2.jpg

The Angels’ Justin Upton scores on a wild pitch during the second inning of a spring training baseball game against the Cleveland Indians Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-4.jpg

Cleveland Indians pitcher Logan Allen throws during the first inning of a spring training baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-3-2.jpg

Angels shortstop Andrelton Simmons can’t get the ball out of his glove in time to make a play on a base hit by the Cleveland Indians’ Beau Taylor during the third inning of Monday’s Cactus League game in Tempe, Ariz. The Angels lost 11-10. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-6.jpg

Cleveland Indians’ Franmil Reyes watches his three run home run take flight during the third inning of a spring training baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-5.jpg

Cleveland Indians’ Franmil Reyes celebrates his three run home run as he rounds the bases during the third inning of a spring training baseball game against the Los Angeles Angels Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-10.jpg

The Angels’ Tommy La Stella hits against the Cleveland Indians during the first inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-7.jpg

Angels center fielder Mike Trout can’t field a base hit by the Cleveland Indians’ Delino DeShields during the third inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-12.jpg

The Angels’ Shoheo Ohtani hits against the Cleveland Indians during the second inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-9.jpg

The Angels’ Shohei Ohtani high-fives teammates after scoring on a base hit by teammate Jason Castro during the fourth inning of a spring training baseball game against the Cleveland Indians Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-3-1-1.jpg

Los Angeles Angels’ Anthony Rendon hits against the Cleveland Indians during the first inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

• Indians-Angels-Spring-Baseball-13.jpg

Angels shortstop Andrelton Simmons throws a ball to first during the second inning of a spring training baseball game Monday, March 9, 2020, in Tempe, Ariz. (AP Photo/Matt York)

of

Expand

THE GAME: The Angels used their projected Opening Day lineup, including starter Andrew Heaney, but still lost 11-10 to the Cleveland Indians on Monday afternoon at Tempe (Ariz.) Diablo Stadium.

PITCHING REPORT: Left-hander Heaney, pitching a day after he was named the starter for the March 26 regular-season opener, gave up four runs in 2-2/3 innings. Heaney retired six of seven hitters in the first two innings. In the third, he gave up three straight singles to start the inning, including an infield hit. After a strikeout and a run-scoring groundout got him within an out of escaping the inning, Heaney left a fastball over the middle that Framil Reyes hit out for a three-run homer. … Right-hander Hansel Robles pitched a scoreless inning. … Right-hander Jaime Barria gave up six runs in 3-1/3 innings, including three homers. Barria, who is in the running for one of the final spots in the rotation, had not allowed any runs in his first nine innings this spring. … “It’s hard to evaluate pitching on either side today. The ball was flying,” Angels manager Joe Maddon said.

HITTING REPORT: Jason Castro had two hits, including a double. … Mike Trout walked twice in three trips to the plate. Trout is 5 for 18 this spring. … Shohei Ohtani walked and was robbed of a bloop on a diving catch by right fielder Reyes. Ohtani is 2 for 16 this spring. … Justin Upton hit his first homer of the spring and also singled.

DEFENSE REPORT: Shortstop Andrelton Simmons dove to his right to stop a ground ball, popping up quickly and making a routine throw to first for the out. Simmons made another diving stop two innings later, but he couldn’t get the ball out of his glove. … First baseman Albert Pujols made a diving stop to his right and got a force at second. … David Fletcher played the last five innings in center field and cleanly fielded three singles that dropped in front of him. He said he had not played center field at any level before this game.

UP NEXT: Angels (RHP Dylan Bundy) vs. Seattle Mariners (RHP Logan Gilbert), Tuesday, 1 p.m. PT, Peoria (Ariz.) Sports Complex

View the full article

1 minute ago, RBM said:

I was never the former but I am the latter. 

He is not the type of pitcher we want to have starting every five days and based on what I saw yesterday at the game I think Maddon and Calloway know it.

That's fine, that's your opinion. I personally don't see Barria as ever being more than a number 5/AAAA guy. 

I just think it's funny that he pitched well all spring then has a bad start and suddenly he sucks.

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I was never the former but I am the latter. 

He is not the type of pitcher we want to have starting every five days and based on what I saw yesterday at the game I think Maddon and Calloway know it.

I am not a huge fan, but I can’t imagine forming that opinion based on a spring training start.  So I can only assume you aren’t big on Gerrit Cole since he allowed back to back homers twice in the same game last week?   Putting any stock into yesterday would mean you’d have to put stock into how he performed in spring training games before this, which would then mean he is pitching fairly well except for yesterday.  

22 minutes ago, RBM said:

"Suddenly"? My opinion on Barria has never changed from last year. So it is inaccurate for you to say I was flip/flopping based on a few innings of early ST games and an offseason weight loss counted in single digits.

I am rooting for him like I do for all of the players and was happy for him when he had a couple of nice outings but I still don't think he's going to be a productive MLB starter. And my opinion was reinforced in my mind based on the subtleties I saw at the game yesterday.

Like I said earlier I think he'll end up being a reliever in this league.

what was your opinion on his rookie year?

lou? you want to get on this?

22 minutes ago, RBM said:

"Suddenly"? My opinion on Barria has never changed from last year. So it is inaccurate for you to say I was flip/flopping based on a few innings of early ST games and an offseason weight loss counted in single digits.

I am rooting for him like I do for all of the players and was happy for him when he had a couple of nice outings but I still don't think he's going to be a productive MLB starter. And my opinion was reinforced in my mind based on the subtleties I saw at the game yesterday.

Like I said earlier I think he'll end up being a reliever in this league.

Wasn't really trying to single you out. It's more of a typical AW thing; we only hear about your opinion when they're doing poorly. 

I don't even think you're wrong. I just think he's better than what one single appearance in Spring Training showed. Again, not saying your opinion is only based on that.

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

That's fine, that's your opinion. I personally don't see Barria as ever being more than a number 5/AAAA guy. 

I just think it's funny that he pitched well all spring then has a bad start and suddenly he sucks.

He pitched well against early spring training players. But yeah, 5/AAAA is about right. 

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

I am not a huge fan, but I can’t imagine forming that opinion based on a spring training start.  So I can only assume you aren’t big on Gerrit Cole since he allowed back to back homers twice in the same game last week?   Putting any stock into yesterday would mean you’d have to put stock into how he performed in spring training games before this, which would then mean he is pitching fairly well except for yesterday.  

You bring up Gerrit Cole more than anyone here. Not sure why.