• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kyle Keller traded to the Angels

49 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Two things working against Eppler - timing and prospects.

Cole was acquired by HOU for 4 major league ready prospects including a Starting Pitcher in Musgrove.  We didn't have that depth.

Greinke was acquired for, again, 4 prospects and HOU was pushing for a World Championship.

Say we acquired Cole in 2018 somehow, we still don't make the playoffs and lose him to the Yankees this offseason.

Greinke is only a move you make to try to win in 2019 and now Houston has 8 less prospects and two pitcher over 36 owed a combined $116 mil ($50 mil for Greinke, $66 mil for Verlander) with their next best pitcher coming off Tommy John surgery and a lot of question marks.  

I'm not talking about then, I'm talking about now. I believe we have what it takes now to make a Luhnow type deal for a top tier arm.

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not talking about then, I'm talking about now. I believe we have what it takes now to make a Luhnow type deal for a top tier arm.

Likely but we have to match up.

Pirates were ready to move Cole with 2 years left of control...who'd fit that category now?

Noah Syndegaard - Free agent in 2022, he's been trending downward since his peak in 2016 due to injury.  Will cost you, at minimum, one of Marsh/Adell and Canning.

Steve Matz - Free agent in 2022, never as dominant as Syndegaard and seems like a SP closer to the back-end of the rotation as opposed to the front but won't cost you Adell.

Caleb Smith - Free agent in 2024 so more years of control but less years of success so it would be a gamble.  Depends on how many years away the Marlins think they are from competing.

Robbie Ray - Free agent in 2021 so not an exact match but price would likely be less than Syngaard/Matz and he's been pretty average the last two seasons (107 ERA+ in 2018, 103 ERA+ in 2019) but he'd be top of the rotation for us

Jon Gray - Free agent in 2022, has been good recently enough (2017, 2019) to seriously consider...will likely cost Marsh to begin with.

Mike Clevinger - Free agent 2023, will cost Adell...nuff said.

Matthew Boyd - Free agent in 2023, will likely cost Marsh plus a legit SP prospect.

That's kinda it...Gray, Syndegaard, and Matz had the same years left as Cole but I'm not sure any one of them has his "stuff".  Of everyone though, the closest might be Syndegaard if he is truly healthy.  

Keller has a wicked curve ball:

This is a recent trend by Eppler to pursue relievers with high quality curve balls. Many of the most recent relievers have really good spin on their curve balls FYI:

That is some wicked vertical break and that spin rate (2,695 rpm) is pretty high in comparison to League average.

Because I love Toby so much I am going to take this opportunity to point you to my continuing 2019-2020 Off-Season Starting Pitcher Series, which continues this week but it is the one coming out after this that you may find relevant to this discussion.

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Figured this one would bother you. Not sure what you saw in him. 

In the end he is just a reliever but he was always just a personal favorite, I liked his potential but obviously the Angels saw it differently, which is fine. Just thought they'd cut Mayers or Mejia first, just caught me a little by surprise.

14 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Likely but we have to match up.

Pirates were ready to move Cole with 2 years left of control...who'd fit that category now?

Noah Syndegaard - Free agent in 2022, he's been trending downward since his peak in 2016 due to injury.  Will cost you, at minimum, one of Marsh/Adell and Canning.

Steve Matz - Free agent in 2022, never as dominant as Syndegaard and seems like a SP closer to the back-end of the rotation as opposed to the front but won't cost you Adell.

Caleb Smith - Free agent in 2024 so more years of control but less years of success so it would be a gamble.  Depends on how many years away the Marlins think they are from competing.

Robbie Ray - Free agent in 2021 so not an exact match but price would likely be less than Syngaard/Matz and he's been pretty average the last two seasons (107 ERA+ in 2018, 103 ERA+ in 2019) but he'd be top of the rotation for us

Jon Gray - Free agent in 2022, has been good recently enough (2017, 2019) to seriously consider...will likely cost Marsh to begin with.

Mike Clevinger - Free agent 2023, will cost Adell...nuff said.

Matthew Boyd - Free agent in 2023, will likely cost Marsh plus a legit SP prospect.

That's kinda it...Gray, Syndegaard, and Matz had the same years left as Cole but I'm not sure any one of them has his "stuff".  Of everyone though, the closest might be Syndegaard if he is truly healthy.  

Good rundown... It's also worth noting that our system is nowhere near as deep as the Astros' system was when they made those trades.