• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Catcher?

Dtwncbad

The Angels could just sign Castro or Chirinos and I think most fans and experts would consider that “checking off the box” at catcher to take care of a very specific need.

I am wondering if the absence of this happening could be an indication that the from office is engaged in a deal for a pitcher where the Angels also land a catcher?

Or is it merely a simple waiting game in a strategy to let the free agents get a little more anxious and possibly lowered their asking price?

I really cannot believe the Angels will open camp without acquiring an obvious starting catcher, so I guess my post here is a small sign of impatience, especially when the need is so obvious and there are two “easy” solutions just sitting there available.

18 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The Angels could just sign Castro or Chirinos and I think most fans and experts would consider that “checking off the box” at catcher to take care of a very specific need.

I am wondering if the absence of this happening could be an indication that the from office is engaged in a deal for a pitcher where the Angels also land a catcher?

Or is it merely a simple waiting game in a strategy to let the free agents get a little more anxious and possibly lowered their asking price?

I really cannot believe the Angels will open camp without acquiring an obvious starting catcher, so I guess my post here is a small sign of impatience, especially when the need is so obvious and there are two “easy” solutions just sitting there available.

It might be wishful thinking, but this is what i have been saying for a while now as well.  They are working on some kind of deal to fill both holes, likely with the Cubs I would guess

38 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Agreed. Taking Darvish and Contreras, or even Quintana and Contreras for a package of prospects not including Jo Adell, is possible.

Word is Darvish isnt in play, perhaps why the deal hasnt yet happened.  Cubs have need at 2B which we can help fill (Rengifo perhaps) and possibly the OF but they arent getting Rengifo and Marsh for Contreras and Quintana or Chatwood i think they will need to get creative to make something happen.

2 hours ago, floplag said:

It might be wishful thinking, but this is what i have been saying for a while now as well.  They are working on some kind of deal to fill both holes, likely with the Cubs I would guess

So you are saying they will turn a DP and just grin and bear it?

There are plenty of catching options out there and Eppler will almost certainly go after a strong defensive catcher no matter what unless he gets such a really good deal on a Contreras type that he is willing to sacrifice the entire rotation and bullpen to bring in that type of offense (frankly I don't think he will but could be wrong). He has always stressed strong up-the-middle defense and has said that before too.

So once again Jason Castro is a good enough signing. I really like Reese McGuire as @tdawg87 originally suggested or even Jansen, who is also on the Mets roster, but I prefer the former. Tucker Barnhart is a good defender and likely available too. Austin Barnes might be achievable and he plays above average defense. @Second Base has been advocating for Austin Hedges for quite a while and he is an excellent defender and might be available (although if the Padres are going all-in I am not sure why they would trade him unless they have a need elsewhere). Keibert Ruiz, as @Inside Pitch mentioned would be an expensive but good target too.

Lots of choices out there!