• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you resign Vargas after this year?

Not the point.

Weaver/CJ/Vargas/Hanson/Blanton>Weaver/CJ/Hanson/Blanton/Richards or Williams. Especially when at least one of them (except Blanton) goes down for any length of time next year (and you know it will happen...Weaver's 2nd year in a row with DL time this year, and he's not getting any younger).

I would rather have that set up and 60ish M a sandwich pick, yes.

I'd go a 3 year deal.   Start at 3/$30, which might get it done.  This way you can see if he wants length or $$.  

Might have to settle on a 3/$39 though.  His WHIP is kind of high career wise though for $13 million a year.  If he wants higher than that, offer him arb, and let someone else overpay.  

I think his final year of arbitration was skewed a bit on the high side because of his 1.18 WHIP, 3.85 ERA he had last year.  Which is considerably lower than any other year he's had.  He's an average 1.31 WHIP, 4.27 ERA, which puts him in the #3-5 pitcher range.  

It's still early but if so what would it take to resign him?

If not do you think it's possible to get a first round draft pick for him?

Yes, I would resign him.  Who the hell could we get to replace him?  I know we don't have any replacements in house!

There's no way the Angels should pay him that much. I'd be shocked if he got that much. 

Then I think you should put on your rubber slippers because the price of pitching skyrocketed this off-season and all it is doing is heading up. 5/60 might be too many years but $12 for a pitcher at his skill level is about right.

People think he's worth more than 60 mil on the free agent market? He's over 30 and is usually around a 4 ERA with meh WHIP's, K/9 and BB/9. He's done very well this year but he's not worth anything over 60 mil, IMO, even with this depleted free agent market and uprising costs. 

I'd go a 3 year deal.   Start at 3/$30, which might get it done.  This way you can see if he wants length or $$.  

Might have to settle on a 3/$39 though.  His WHIP is kind of high career wise though for $13 million a year.  If he wants higher than that, offer him arb, and let someone else overpay.  

I think his final year of arbitration was skewed a bit on the high side because of his 1.18 WHIP, 3.85 ERA he had last year.  Which is considerably lower than any other year he's had.  He's an average 1.31 WHIP, 4.27 ERA, which puts him in the #3-5 pitcher range.  

I like this, but I doubt it would be enough to land him.

He's from this area.  He's a good friend of Weaver's.  He likes it here.  So the intangibles are in place.

He has pitched far better than any of the naysayers here thought he would.  My bet is that he is the AL Pitcher of the Month - 5-0 and less than 3.0 ERA.

If he has a good year, I like the 5/60.

Like with Lohse, would take a qualifying offer to secure a draft pick.  Was $13M/1 year for Lohse, probably be a bit more.  Here's the list of potential free agent starting pitchers, as per Baseball Prospectus (asterisk means there's a club option for 2014)

Starting Pitchers
Bronson Arroyo
Scott Baker
Erik Bedard
Nick Blackburn *
A.J. Burnett
Chris Capuano *
Chris Carpenter
Bruce Chen
Bartolo Colon
Aaron Cook
Jorge De La Rosa